Do you want a FragBU 2k4 Video?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you want a 2k4 FragBU Video?

• No, but I would help if one were started.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Hey, maybe if the server didnt have to make extraneous newnet calculations :cheers:

I know our Euro's wouldnt like it.

We should press the issue harder. I have spring break coming up this week and it would be great to get a good start on anything we may be getting together while school is out. Everyone shold auto demorec with utcomp and i'd like to ask raffi to add to the opening game message "take demorecs for the video" to remind everyone. If we get enough support/emphasis for the video we could get a movement going. After I leave FBU on friday and ill open my ftp up to people to upload good demos. <- If I get enough people that want to upload ill post the IP and user/pass in the irc channel.

Is anyone willing to try to start this this weekend?
Rypel cam willhave to do for everything but As and Ons as long as we dont have SSD's. If I get enough we could possibly convince raffi to take serversides to make it easier on everyone else.

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Does Rypel cam allow you to see other POVs in clientside demos or just freecam? And where can I DL it?

RypeL_

Dec 11, 2005
It allows other povs in clientdemos but pitch(looking up down) doesent work in that case so its currently useless for movimaking purpose. However i too have some kind of spring brake cooming up for me this weekend and i will continue working on RypelCam then. Theoretically it seems to be possible to also see other povs(with pitch) in Clientdemos since Wormbo did it in UTPlus. If Wormbo doesent plan to release UTPlus anytime soon i will try to include this functionality in RypelCam.

I also would be willing to help for anything that deals with RypelCam. The maker/makers can always come to ask me all kinds of silly questions, they can send me testcams and ask for improvements/suggestions on their Cams etc.

The other peoples povs are the only reason to chose SSDs over CDs though i think. If you use RypelCam SSDs are not easier to handel then CDs. And as some people already said they have already written down times for good scenes in their CDs. If you say "only SSDs" you have to start with watching from zero and all the good frags from previously fragBUs that the people have in their CDs ...why not use that ? The people remember their best moments and their demos best so you will get the best scenes from CDs i think. And as already said SSDs have absolutly no advantage over CDs when it comes down to recording the frag.

nutella: it can be found at http://rypel.clansmiley.com/

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
howlatnight said:
Hey, maybe if the server didnt have to make extraneous newnet calculations :cheers:

I know our Euro's wouldnt like it.

[OT]Why is there such a predilection with newnet on the server? From what I've read on the interweb of late newnet makes no difference whatever to euros. It evens out the playing field across the us but that's about it.[/OT]

Unless I'm being misinformed ;) [Back to topic]

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Why is newnet such a big deal? It's meant to even out ping difference and does a pretty good job at it IMO.

I don't get it why mostly Americans(at FragBU) always complain about newnet. It's not like it's tat big a deal to lose a match, it's for the fun we play, right? And this movie too, right? Personally I'd like to see this movie done. I'd even help demowatching.

It's not like we Euro's get so many hits from newnet that just were an obvious miss.

I guess we just all need something to blaim a lucky/unlucky shot on.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I like the idea but I don't have the time to dedicate to it like I did last time we tried it. Offering to help with the podcast is plenty on my plate for now, and will probably be a more effective use of my time and (limited) talents.

However, without server-side demos and without lolol vehakals I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea. Beat already did a spectacular FBU video with 2k3 and this doesn't seem to add much if anything to the work he already did.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Get in and try to record some W0RFings. Don't you think that should be showcased for posterity?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
the_rex said:
Why is newnet such a big deal? It's meant to even out ping difference and does a pretty good job at it IMO.

I don't get it why mostly Americans(at FragBU) always complain about newnet. It's not like it's tat big a deal to lose a match, it's for the fun we play, right? And this movie too, right? Personally I'd like to see this movie done. I'd even help demowatching.

It's not like we Euro's get so many hits from newnet that just were an obvious miss.

I guess we just all need something to blaim a lucky/unlucky shot on.
1) It's not just Euros that get those hots.

2) If it's for fun why do we have a competetive mutator running?

3) the only relation newnet has to this topic is that it MAY cause the SSDs to use more load on the server.

In regards to Rypel's post, the problem is going to stem from trying to get shots where other people are Relevant to the current player. Otherwise they "technically" don't exist on their demo.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
nuttella said:
Get in and try to record some W0RFings. Don't you think that should be showcased for posterity?
If they were doing lolol vehakals I would LOVE to get a shot of that. This is an indescribably funny phenomenon. But I don't think that's going to happen.

:edit: I will be happy to look through a few demos. I'm just saying that as an organizing force, I can't commit the time that I had available this time last year, when I was not also taking college courses. But I've got a little free time for a couple months.

Last edited:

RypeL_

Dec 11, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
In regards to Rypel's post, the problem is going to stem from trying to get shots where other people are Relevant to the current player. Otherwise they "technically" don't exist on their demo.

Believe me i know what does and what does not exist in a demo. In a Clientdemo on a normal sized DM map in my expirience its about 70% of the action. So also players that are quite far away behind some walls, that are nowhere to be seen from the current players pov, are mostly there.
Even though im not sure if i understand you right and i dont know what you mean with stem. Or maybe youre playing mostly ONS in FragBu with very large maps were CDs might become problematic(i didnt tested the CD speccam with ONS yet). But normally if you just want to record in 3rdperson you can do that very good with CDs.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Aside from a few different maps, HUD and dual ARs you probably won't see much difference between 2k3 and 2k4. To me 2k4 is vehikalz whether or not you like it, that was the foremost selling point of the game, otherwise what they did could've been accomplished with a few patches and BPs thrown in.

W0RF said:
However, without server-side demos and without lolol vehakals I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea. Beat already did a spectacular FBU video with 2k3 and this doesn't seem to add much if anything

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
RypeL_ said:
Believe me i know what does and what does not exist in a demo. In a Clientdemo on a normal sized DM map in my expirience its about 70% of the action. So also players that are quite far away behind some walls, that are nowhere to be seen from the current players pov, are mostly there.
Even though im not sure if i understand you right and i dont know what you mean with stem. Or maybe youre playing mostly ONS in FragBu with very large maps were CDs might become problematic(i didnt tested the CD speccam with ONS yet). But normally if you just want to record in 3rdperson you can do that very good with CDs.
You would have to watch some of the FragBU 2k3 video to see what types of shots would not be possible with Rypel cam. It is very good, but does put SOME restrictions on what can be done.

edit: Iceboy - there are some very different things in 2k4, for example there were times in 2k3 where you would suddenly lose the ability to shoot. That's pretty much disappeared in 2k4.

Last edited by a moderator:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
edit: Iceboy - there are some very different things in 2k4, for example there were times in 2k3 where you would suddenly lose the ability to shoot. That's pretty much disappeared in 2k4.
Yeah, now we can shoot and it just doesn't hit anything.

/thinly-veiled jab at Newnet

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
There's got to be vehicle stuff. Like Iceboy said, it's a big part of the game, and there are lots of vid-worthy moments. Just last weekend, I got a headshot falling out of a Raptor in an ONS game, and I had a multikill from a moving Hellbender rear turret in Junkyard. And that was just me. You never see it if you don't play the gametypes, but trust me, cool stuff happens. (Though I probably wouldn't bother looking at demos of, say, AS-Glacier.)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I want one server-side demo of Raffi tanking in Glacier. That is a critical element of a true FragBU video. I can snip it down to a short segment of him blasting everything in sight to Carmina Burana and it will pwn.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Well friday's FBU is over is anyone interested in sending in some demos of last night's games?

Hop in irc and ill set up my FTP for you if you have some good ones

For my Ftp it would be nice if you could first use 7-zip(www.7-zip.org) to compress the files using the ultra compression, to save my space and bandwidth. Second the first time you log into the FTP please make a folder Of your name(forum name, not alias for that game), Then within that folder make a folder for the date. Third, inside that folder upload the demo itself and a txt file with the time (remaining) of the frag.