1on1 The Dogs of War beta 1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Gulp...first map.
A big-on-flow 1 vs 1 map. Tight and fast. I tried to be interesting with the visuals, with a mixture of hot and cold lighting, but I'm still getting the hang of fitting meshes together in interesting ways...
I think it'll seem quite rough around the edges, so I need some more experienced dudes to give me a few pointers...

More information, some more (and bigger) screenshots and a download

Some quick screenies:
DoW_Small1.jpg

DoW_Small2.jpg

Last edited:

Blueyes

Be nice to me...
Feb 11, 2004
Montreal, Canada
those mixed cast shadows of cold and hot lighting look interesting at some places!...i would say it looks simple but overall nice from the pics! :cool:

Edit: i suggest you to post on pic here for more chances on comments. ;)

Last edited:

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
-Alrighty, fair z-axis opportunities here, could be better if there were more off-set ledges, instead of drop offs that are all flush together. But that may be difficult to work in at this point, just something to keep in mind in the future.

-Most of the action happens in the area in your first pic. The bots will run around the map and gather anything they need, but end up congregating back to the same spot. Might want to split up the rocket launcher and lightning gun from there.

-In the same area, that lift is a bit screwy. I don't know if you have it on a time delay or a trigger whose radius is too small, but it takes too much effort to get it to go up. It should be quicker in reaction, so as not to throw off the flow too much.

-Jump pads could use to be more noticable. The little boxes on the floor just look like deco at first (unless I'm missing something with low detail).

-I do like how the lava isn't an insta-kill. Just like it used to be in the good ol' Unreal days. :)

That's all that sticks in my mind at the moment, after playing a long match in it. A worthy first map, just need to re-work some things.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
I havn't played, by the lighting in the screenies is really too overemphasied. Try going for more natural light, different tones in those blue adn red areas other than only 2. They clash really badly and you need to be able to intergrate them more. I'd lower the amount of red and either darken the blue or perhaps even saturate it more. I hate to say it but using more natural white light may be am improve (for once).

It looks fine for a first map, though. Like I said, i've not played but the gameplay looks interesting at least. Maybe the use of the grate projectors (or is that happening automatically?) is overdone.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I agree that the lighting is overdone, the colours are too harsh at the moment. The red colour might be ok but needs to only be in very small areas because it's just waaay too harsh on the eyes as it is.
The green colour might go well but you need to increase the radius of those because it's hardly noticable at the moment.
The red light should have a similar radius to what the green lights have.

The main reason for the rather erm, dramatic lighting was that, well, I was playing :) Seeing what detail I could do with shadows and light colour, creating patterns. I grew to like the powerful lights as it both set instant sense of hot/cold, and feels a little oldschool, bold colours, to match the flow design. Plus light filtering between rooms is kinda natural. I might try and up some of the non-shadow casting lights to soften the shadows if you really think they don't look okay at all.

My next project will be much more subtle I promise ;)

Yeah the bot paths aren't sorted at all, I just threw path nodes at the editor, so they do tend to just go for the Lightning/Rocket room. Plus that version has the 1on1 item placement, so there is very little ammo and such to tempt the bots to go elsewhere. I'll put some better pathing in for the next one.

The lift in the Lightning room is delayed by a second or so to stop players instantly jumping on and running away, so there is a risk attached to gaining two powerful weapons and then instantly going for a high position. If/when I do a non 1on1 version I'll remove the delay or perhaps make it a bounce pad. I'll also make the bounce pads more obvious. The lift in the shock room doesn't do this as it isn't necessary for it. The position it offers isn't very powerful.

ta for all your comments btw :)

Last edited: