Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
2821802164_e2ef557d0a.jpg

Flickr

I really like the composition and color in this shot. Nice work.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
My first real attempt at a portrait:

Haruka
2823946916_64c9030dd1.jpg

It's a really nice picture but i'm afraid my eyes are perpetually drawn to the bottom left, out of the window rather than towards the girl which i think is what your aiming for.

I don't know much about this sort of thing but i think taking a photo of something that is the focus but is off centre is quite fiddly. It's a really nice picture though, i'd try and convince more models to pose for you if i were you. :)

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
It's a really nice picture but i'm afraid my eyes are perpetually drawn to the bottom left, out of the window rather than towards the girl which i think is what your aiming for.

I don't know much about this sort of thing but i think taking a photo of something that is the focus but is off centre is quite fiddly. It's a really nice picture though, i'd try and convince more models to pose for you if i were you. :)

Thanks, I know it's not perfect. There is a lot that goes into shooting portraits that I know nothing about. I kind of like having her near the window like that because the POV is kind of interesting and having her at the edge ads some excitement to the photo. I am sure I have broken an ass ton of rules that 007Mike will bring up as soon as he sees it. :D

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Thanks, I know it's not perfect. There is a lot that goes into shooting portraits that I know nothing about. I kind of like having her near the window like that because the POV is kind of interesting and having her at the edge ads some excitement to the photo. I am sure I have broken an ass ton of rules that 007Mike will bring up as soon as he sees it. :D

I think at the end of the day it's a good picture so you should like it I think. I just felt compelled for some reason o give some small critique. heh heh.

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
byars-subwaystop-composite-draft-1-edit-sm-2.jpg

Oh my, this and a few other shots are amazing! Was this one taken with a long exposure and multiple flashes? Everything is so sharp!

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
That's why I'm asking wether he used a flash to 'freeze' himself in the different positions, or just a stupidly long exposure to 'average out' his position. ;)

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Here's some using a Canon X05 SLR Xsi - I am a newb with photography, but finding it fun:

purpleflowerclosesmtq3.jpg

sunsetwatersmrd5.jpg

fencepasturesmep2.jpg

sunsetreflectsmts3.jpg

Some really nice pictures posted in this thread, btw. :)

L

lkaven

That's why I'm asking wether he used a flash to 'freeze' himself in the different positions, or just a stupidly long exposure to 'average out' his position. ;)
Hi all,

I'm Luke Kaven, the photographer that did these images. I'm glad you like this one of Chris Byars (who is a NY jazz saxophonist/composer/arranger).

This one is a composite of four HDR images, each one involving 3-5 exposures. The longest exposures are about 4 seconds. Practically speaking, the details of the face are covered by 2 of those exposures, so the key thing is to get those two sharp. Some of the images in the collection required a series of exposures adding up to almost a minute! No flash is used, and there are some interesting effects that you get from doing HDR in very low light (a kind of supersampling). Hunting for the right place and the right found lighting can take some patience. Of course a tripod was used to keep the camera in registration for all of the shots.

The overall sharpness comes from the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G lens. This is hands-down the most incredible ultrawide lens in the history of photography. It's designed to be optimal at the widest apertures, and it's extremely sharp from corner to corner. Here at 14mm it has a huge depth of field.

Billy (and thanks for the lighthearted poke) -- keep following your visual intuitions and you'll put it all together.

Best wishes, Luke

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
Indeed, thanks a lot Luke! When I have some free time to spare I'm definitely going to try executing the technique you've explained. :)

Just one more question, if you don't mind sharing with us, what exactly does the merging of multiple HDR images achieve better than tone-mapping from a single one - what are the perks?

Edit: New page new pic.

Yellowflower.jpg