Jack Thompson Under Fire

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
To continue with the saga of Jack Thompson, self-appointed guardian of gaming morality, Arstechnica reports that the bumbling attorney-at-law has been asked by the National Institute on Media & Family to cease and desist utilizing the organization's name in his wacky public antics.
Consequently, I ask that you cease using the Institute's or my name in any way that would give the impression that we support your efforts. I also ask that you remove the link to our website that appears on your site.
To further compound things, it seems that Thompson is now under investigation by the Florida Bar Association. Already under reprimand by the FBA for his actions in 1998, angry Penny-Arcade readers have flooded the Bar's office with complaints and demands for a review of his license.

Keep talking, Jack. Keep talking. (thanks /.)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Last week's news? what the hell are you talking about? All of this has happened over the last two days, and Artechnica broke the news about the FBA investigation last night.

We've covered the rest of the story all week long in case you've missed it somehow. :eek:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It'd be a shame if he'd dissappear completely, because 'they' might get someone competent to replace him ...

Better the devil you know ... ;)

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
YOU F*CKED WITH THE WRONG PEOPLE, JACK.

This is too damn sweet.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
ROFL. Check this page on the PA forums:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1300&sid=20fcf44056d3c261972084adeeb9dd2b

I called the FBA, and I was on hold for 20 minutes, and once I got a rep, as soon as I said Jack Thompson, she sighed loudly and goes, "Dear Lord, what has this man done? That's all we've heard today all day long!" and I told her that I had faxed a 3 page letter detailing the exact complaint, and she said that it would help alot and she will go get the fax. I'm on hold again.

I contacted the FBA requesting an update, and was told that they have been so overwhelmingly innundated with complaints, that they are having an emergency meeting to decide what kind of action to take.

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
The obvious course of action is to have him disbarred. (I think that is the word I am looking for.)

edit: Yeah, it is exactly the word I am looking for.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Mostly I think Jack is just a raving idiot, but two things seriously pissed me off.

1. "What's next, the necromancy community?" That was the first one. :mad:

2. This was the biggest one. Calling Penny Arcade an extortionist factory. The people who helped raise a half million dollars for charities and children. The people who made the donation Jack Thompson was not a big enough or responsible enough man to make. And this son of a bitch calls them extortionists?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PD he sent the fax to just ignored it and claimed they didn't receive it, thinking him as big of an idiot as the rest of us do.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Foot soldier of God!

jackt.jpg

:lol:

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
Yeah I have been looking over lots of this info on many sites about this guy. Good that somebody who is on the side of commen sense is actually looking into it. If he does not get disbarred at least the idea that some people actually had to think about it is more than enough imo.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Nemephosis said:
Mostly I think Jack is just a raving idiot, but two things seriously pissed me off.

1. "What's next, the necromancy community?" That was the first one. :mad:

2. This was the biggest one. Calling Penny Arcade an extortionist factory. The people who helped raise a half million dollars for charities and children. The people who made the donation Jack Thompson was not a big enough or responsible enough man to make. And this son of a bitch calls them extortionists?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PD he sent the fax to just ignored it and claimed they didn't receive it, thinking him as big of an idiot as the rest of us do.

I thought I read somewhere that he didn't even send it to the PD, just addressed it to them and set it to the media.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Ahhhh
*dub's grin spreads accross his face*

And it was Jackoff Thompson that said something to the extent of "you don't know who your messing with"
I'm affraid he didn't seem to realise when he slandered gamers in general he knew that he was dissing a couple of million people, all at once.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Oh he knew. What he DIDN'T know was that we weren't all children, and that we get angered when attacked for no real reason.

This is what happens, Jack. Apparently YOU are the one who doesn't know who he is dealing with, and YOU are the one that is going to end up sorry over this whole thing.