FaceFX in UE3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Epic Games has announced that it will be using OC3 Entertainment's FaceFX technology in Unreal Engine 3, including future UE3 titles Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 2007.

Epic Games, world leading developers of cutting-edge computer and video games and the pioneer of the award-winning Unreal® Engine, and OC3 Entertainment, a leading provider of facial animation technology, announced today that OC3 Entertainment’s FaceFX™ product has been licensed for use in Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3. The agreement means that the FaceFX technology will be available to all Unreal Engine 3 licensees. Epic Games will use the FaceFX product in their upcoming titles Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 2007 to create emotive characters and cinematic-quality dialogue sequences.

“OC3 Entertainment is thrilled to continue working with Epic Games and further solidify our partnership,” said Jamie Redmond, Co-founder and Technical Director of OC3 Entertainment. “Unreal Engine 3 with an integrated version of FaceFX makes for a very powerful next-generation facial animation solution with enormous potential and we are very excited to see what the talented teams using Unreal Engine 3 can produce.”

“Facial animation is of paramount importance to Epic Games and our licensees for the next generation,” said Mark Rein, Vice President and Co-founder of Epic Games. “FaceFX is truly in a league of its own. We are thrilled to be using it in our own development, and we are confident that Unreal Engine licensees will greatly benefit from our relationship with OC3 Entertainment.”

Z

ZippyV

Is this the same company that made the Lipsynch technology for the previous Unreal Engine?

leafo

spoiled toothpaste
Mar 29, 2005
A little late to be announcing this so far into the development of GoW and ut2k7.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Wow....

Taking a quick glance at this news, I thought it was just 1 out of another 84239057 ue3 licensees, but when I read carefully, Epic is using something else to make UE3 better!:eek: Wow thats crazy.

livingtarget

BulletCatcher
Mar 15, 2002
Aberdeen
leafo said:
A little late to be announcing this so far into the development of GoW and ut2k7.

I don't think it's that simple. This release probably coincided with the release of the face-fx tool from that company. I bet they have been using it for years already. Another hint at that is that ut2004 already supported the previous instigation of that product.

And I tell you something else, do some thinking before you post a negative one liner.

Last edited:

Inferny

Apr 4, 2005
As long as it adds more to the gaemplay, not just the visuals, like linking it to voice recognition so the character's lips move, or another thing to link it into the gameplay, otherwise, it seems sorta useless.

U

Unregistered

Inferny said:
As long as it adds more to the gaemplay, not just the visuals, like linking it to voice recognition so the character's lips move, or another thing to link it into the gameplay, otherwise, it seems sorta useless.

Yes, useless untill you need to start animating dialogue cutscenes...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Inferny said:
otherwise, it seems sorta useless.

Whut? Useless? It's an engine component, not something specific to 2K7. The ability to perfectly sync character lip movements to animations might not be that useful in 2K7, but it will be for the dozens of developers making single player games with a lot of character interaction.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
I think they've been using this for a while, one of the first things I noticed about UT2007 was how incredible the animation was (particularly in the facial region).

Like livetarget said, it's probably just been announced now to coincide with something (maybe a deal to get the tool included for other licensees).