Hourences

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
I was reading the review of Redkin at nali city because I really like this map and wanted to see what the reviewers thought. I was reading the review and found out that it was made by the same guy who also did Rankin and Idoma :eek: . Sorry if I am slow, but no wonder I liked the map so much, since Rankin and Idoma are two of my favorite DM maps. I noticed the similarities in the names, but didn't think anything of it. I looked through his portfolio of maps he made only to find even more. Hourences pwns. I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I figured I would share my insight for the day :)

Oh yeah, if you don't have DM-Redkin yet, get it now.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Hourences has been around a while. He is one of the best mappers in the Unreal community, bar none. He knows his shiznit.

UT200x maps:
ONS-Dinora
ONS-Dawn
1v1-Idoma
ONS-Torlan
DM-Rrajigar
ONS-Dria
DM-Rankin

He also worked on the Xidia and Operation Na Pali stuff for Unreal/UT, and both versions of JB.

p.s. - try hourences.com ;)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Oh, but redkin should've been optimiseeeeeed...!!

Hey, those aren't my words.. I'm quoting a nitpicker who posted in the news section.

And yes, u cna shot tru teh widnow! I mean, ... u cna shot thr t winzow.
Truly wrecks the map.
0/10

Another UT map (it's for Single player, but also works in coop):

Ortican.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
NeoNite said:
Oh, but redkin should've been optimiseeeeeed...!!

Hey, those aren't my words.. I'm quoting a nitpicker who posted in the news section.

And yes, u cna shot tru teh widnow! I mean, ... u cna shot thr t winzow.
Truly wrecks the map.
0/10

Another UT map (it's for Single player, but also works in coop):

Ortican.

I noticed that you could shoot through the window, but it seems to only work with certain weapons... You can do it really easily with the flak cannon.

Does he actually work for epic since he made or helped make some of the levels for ut2k4 like ONS-Dawn and ONS-Torlan.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
W0RF said:
UT200x maps:
ONS-Dinora
ONS-Dawn
1v1-Idoma
ONS-Torlan
DM-Rrajigar
ONS-Dria
DM-Rankin

He also worked on the Xidia and Operation Na Pali stuff for Unreal/UT, and both versions of JB.
He's also worked on other games. His portfolio is crazy for only being 20 years old. :eek:

Yeah, he works/worked for Epic, although I assume they hired him for his mapping talent, not his shockingly horrific attitude.
For those who don't know, he threatened to never do another UT2004 map because people complained about Redkin more than he wanted (no complaints)... I mean, yeah, I sympathize with the guy; he worked seven months on that map only to be flooded with complaints about framerates and stuff when he took the time to make sure everything would be fine if you just set your world detail to a level your computer can handle. I would be pissed too to hear all that, but I wouldn't let it get to me so far as to say I'm going to take my amazing mapping skills and not do anything with them because a few people didn't read the readme. He got A LOT of praise for that map, yet he concentrated more on the negative comments from people who never have anything positive to say.

:Poop:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Torlan is the best ONS map i played for bot suport and gameplay so far,
the meshes where made by Streamline studio(or something like this) apart the plant of hourences.

also , ppl seems to be scared of any Rankin-style maps , i don't know why , this theme is just nice and fit perfecly in ut2004 , so why blame it?

Last edited:

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
I guess if you have a lot to complain about or you are a "hard sell" you could complain about that map. The reason I like the map is because it has a great layout that allows for some good fun. I can see how people that have nothing better to do than complain could sit around all day and say that it's ****ty because you can shoot through the window or how there framerate drops to 55 fps from 60 when they enter a big room. :rolleyes:

Edit: w00ps, didn't know it edited out bad words
poop.gif
<- mouth

Last edited:

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Kantham said:
also , ppl seems to be scared of any Rankin-style maps , i don't know why , this theme is just nice and fit perfecly in ut2004 , so why blame it?

Because the industrial theme has long surpassed beating a dead horse.

He is one of the greatest mappers out there. Hopefully he'll not focus on the negative so much, and strive on with great maps. :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Kantham said:
Torlan is the best ONS map i played for bot suport and gameplay so far,
the meshes where made by Streamline studio(or something like this) apart the plant of hourences.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/79_1.php

Symbolikal

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jul 30, 2004
In britain in a small town.
Hourences(Amon, Sion, Ortican, Sae, Argel,Torlan,Rankin,Dinora,Redkin) is probably the best mapper of all time on the unreal Engine, the only people who even came close were DavidM (where is he?), maybe Taz (Aristocracy,Kerosene), Desperado#2(Nirvana maps, KroujKran, TelcoMex, Argento), maybe Nathillien(Ascendancy,Sun Tzu,Niflheim,Summit, Buliwyf), not forgetting Ed Duke-Cox (Aztec,MayanRuins,Decadence,Arrakis,AnimaExMachina,Bahera,Hysophobia, Archipelago,Tropica,Pasgardae, Ferris, Elegance, a few more which I forgot) and Teddie (FaceClassic, TDB-Peak, TDB-Crane,KillBillyBarn,), Kami (LastCrusader,Griffin), Soma (Waisten, Achilles), Plutonic (Icarus, Masurao, made an official map that shipped with 2k4 but can't remember which one), Lord Heisher (Affinity,Jakatta,Tydal, Juccha) and more but I'm not posting resumes for people.

Last edited: