A thread for spending currency only for greatly discounted electronic transactions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
"Low violence" version if you're in Germany! I wish they would start to offer the uncut versions of games for people who are 18+. We can import them just fine, you know. Steam could make this a lot easier, but no... "Low violence version".

Oh well. Would have been a nice deal, but not like that.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
all you gamers in germany really should just move somewhere else :/
If gaming was all I cared about I'd be gone. Our glorious leaders really dropped the ball when it comes to ratings. It's sad to see publisher after publisher buckle though. They don't have to have a 16+ rating for their butchered, nigh unplayable German version. An uncut 18+ version would be just fine. How many sales could be lost, really?
And why not release two versions? One cut version for grandmas to buy for their 16 year-olds and an uncut versions for real people...
With games being published in multiple versions anyway (Collector's Edition, Limited Edition) what's the big deal?

Add to that that even though it's illegal to advertise games that didn't get an 18+ (e.g. GoW) it's still perfectly legal to sell them to people who specifically ask for them!
It is also legal to import them.

Steam CAN'T make it a lot easier for the same reason publishers cant.

And that's why I think steam especially could make it a LOT easier for us Germans! Imagine games who don't show up in browsing lists or on updates or weekly deals but can be searched for by name! That way they could sell you games that didn't even get an 18+ rating!
Imagine them letting you send them a copy of your ID to confirm your age and sell you uncut (18+) games?
At least you can register some imported games on steam and get them uncut that way, but not even that works for every game! Why not?

Not to mention that digital delivery services are treated differently anyway. Example: Killing Floor was sold uncut to Germans until the physical copy was published! The physical copy was cut badly enough to receive a 16+ rating and now steam only has the cut version for Germans!

The problem isn't that it's not possible. The problem is that valve (or MS, btw. There is NO reason for an IP block on the Gears of War 2 mapppacks, for example) don't care enough to invest time and money into finding solutions for these problems because unfortunately, enough stupid Germans buy the cut crap anyway so financially there probably isn't a lot to gain by finding ways to provide uncut games.

It's sad really. If at least one person or company was to blame, but it's the masses of popularistic politicians, the rubes who're behind them, the publishers who just give in and the ignorant asses who buy cut games. There is just no way out of this. And if I have to read TWI's patronizing "it's your governments fault! Vote in a new one" nonsense again when their next game comes out cut I swear I'm gonna... close the tab and be angry and disappointed for a minute. Because really, what else can you do.:lol:

Haha, a couple of years ago only kids complained about ratings because adults were like "really? So it's 18+ instead of 12+? Interesting, but who cares", but it's getting increasingly annoying for adults now too.

Anyway, the xbox 360 versions of the two expansions for GTA IV: "The Lost and Damned" and "The Ballad of Gay Tony" can be had for ~12€ (both, not each!) on the German Amazon, atm.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
And that's why I think steam especially could make it a LOT easier for us Germans! Imagine games who don't show up in browsing lists or on updates or weekly deals but can be searched for by name! That way they could sell you games that didn't even get an 18+ rating!
Imagine them letting you send them a copy of your ID to confirm your age and sell you uncut (18+) games?
At least you can register some imported games on steam and get them uncut that way, but not even that works for every game! Why not?
I think Gabe Newell was just talking about doing that the other day - GDC conference or something

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Ah, look at that.
More reasons to <3 Valve.

EDIT: Heroes of Might and Magic V plus expansion is 50% off and only $9.99 for the weekend in Stardock's Impulse. I couldn't really get into the game because the fantasy setting is dripping with cheese and in my opinion it took a good while before the combat got interesting but my brother really liked it. Anyway, 10 dollars for the game plus expansion is a good deal.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Ubisoft Weekend Deal Pack

Assassin's Creed
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Far Cry 2
Rainbow Six Vegas 2

13€ Total

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not bad I guess, but then it's the first AC. FarCry 2 was 5 bucks at some point so mostly every has the game now, I bought R6Vegas on full price back then. :/

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Direct2Drive deal from PAX East. 20% off minimum purchase of $49.95, valid through March 20, 2011.
Code: PAX20