Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The potential difficulty is really overshadowed by the importance IMO. They can perk the issues until they are blue in the face, all they are going to do is lose the esports momentum. The way they handled the auto nerfs, and fusor buffs was terrible too. Trying to keep every change lowering TTK, and keeping things easy for CoD kiddies. Tribes is tribes, because of it's learning curve. Without it, it'll just be another fad shooter, that's old in a year or two.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The potential difficulty is really overshadowed by the importance IMO. They can perk the issues until they are blue in the face, all they are going to do is lose the esports momentum. The way they handled the auto nerfs, and fusor buffs was terrible too. Trying to keep every change lowering TTK, and keeping things easy for CoD kiddies. Tribes is tribes, because of it's learning curve. Without it, it'll just be another fad shooter, that's old in a year or two.

Exactly this. This is what everyone arguing for better physics has been saying. The game has no depth, because of how retarded bad the physics are. It is not too late to fix it, especially if fixing it would make the game better. Fun fact, good games attract more players than bad games, especially when they are fucking free to play.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I thought the future Tribes Ascend held was a half-working matchmaking system that matches everyone left playing inside one game region-wise, Mostly Sentinels, people shitting back and forth at each other (1/2 Gold games are drama-filled) and gimmick maps.

I have to agree, thick fog for sentinel nerf would be definitively lol worthy. They must be doing this because, gimmicks.. are they?
They might want to add thick fog in every released map to date as well if that's a nerf case.

Air/Skiing control seems to be the most helping solution against Sentinels from my understanding. Linearly moving targets are waaay easier to hit than wobbling/strafing ones.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
250k+ grabs shouldn't be able to stay going 250k by simply holding a button. Frictionless skiing is ridiculously broken. Between that, and passive regen, the only thing that would limit your speed are map boundaries, and ammo.

The inheritance cult diverted a lot of attention from real physics issues to their silly cause. Inheritance is the least of the physics woes in this game.

Jet packs that just suddenly stop accelerating at 72kph.
Gravity that stops accelerating when you hit 250kph.
Gravity that doesn't effect each armor the same.
No ski friction.
Piss poor thrust vectoring.
Aircontr-lol.
A jet pack that is more efficient when you alternate strafes?

Current movement rules are a joke, and not even worth of being called "physics."

I started playing this game last week and in ~3 days I already recognize most of these as issues (though the top speed doesn't bother me, there's got to be terminal velocity somewhere).

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I started playing this game last week and in ~3 days I already recognize most of these as issues (though the top speed doesn't bother me, there's got to be terminal velocity somewhere).

Sure, but that's the problem with a free "hold this button to maintain your momentum for a time of infinite." To balance it out, you have to put patch work arbitrary caps in other places, and it becomes a domino effect of shoddy physics. I'm not saying one or two things needs to change, like the recent lone "impulse buff," I'm fully aware the whole thing needs to be reworked from the ground up.

Kantham said:
I thought the future Tribes Ascend held was a half-working matchmaking system that matches everyone left playing inside one game region-wise, Mostly Sentinels, people ****ting back and forth at each other (1/2 Gold games are drama-filled) and gimmick maps.

The match making is fine, when there's only enough people per region to play one game, it's going to be pointless anyways, which will happen as a result of gimmicks getting old, which are only prevalent, because they are needed to cover up what's fundamentally wrong with the game.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
so teamwarfare apparently is hosting a 5v5 pathfinder only, no callin, no vehicle ladder. this sounds really fun, because for the short time i played it (dec-feb) i played pth 100% of the time, and rarely used callins. fuck vehicles. (yeah yeah i didnt play t2 so suck it)

anyone forming a team?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm not, but I might be willing to give LT a shot. I play more PTH than anything else, despite still treating it as a beta, and trying to get time in on everything, like it's part of my job or something.

The stock game is still too broken to compete in though, so I'm not in any comp circles ATM. Connn and Cuzkey were playing, though they might be west coast, and played mostly arena. They might be interested in LT, since it won't suffer from a lot the shitty balance issued of full CTF.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Connn and Cuzkey were playing, though they might be west coast, and played mostly arena.

I played CTF with them and terr0r for like 6 hours a day during closed beta. Connnnn is the only one still playing since he refuses to play UT2004. He's the one that mentioned the ladder to me a while back ^_^
5v5 in what gametype? Sounds like it would be fun.
Sorry, CTF. I sort of forgot about the other gametypes.

Last edited:

dc

Aug 17, 2005
dczZz

I may be getting back into it, but there's another 2k4 CTF league starting soon and I'm moving in a few weeks so I'll probably be busy.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I was just playing full 32 man matches at 5:00am in NA East. I never have trouble finding games. Actually the opposite, I find more full games than I'd like. 16v16 is pretty lulzy.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, NA East.

I usually get Half empty games of gold ranked players. If not then I get tossed in lobbies with very few players, or none but me.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Laughing at the new patch.

Technicians! Now with plasma guns (albeit with a different name), rocket turrets and deployable healers!

Twinfusors now do more damage (probably wasn't necessary), maps in testing have gone into rotation along with CTF-Blitz.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The TC24 looks exactly what the TCN should have gotten instead of the thumper. Now if only they were willing to undo their mistakes when they fix them with new stuff, we might actually have a top notch game here in a year or so when everyone is pretty much bored of it. :rolleyes:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I now officially declare that for every update there's at least one of these trashpiece on every games.

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/SHDnX.jpg[/screenshot]

I had just joined the game, I weakened him with the sniper, he then went inside our gen, killed me and started braging about how he single-handedly owned our few technicans in there with brute. People made fun of him along the road about how he single-handedly is ruining the English language. I didn't cap that, I was too busy packing my bags of "not-gonna-play-this-game-for-a-few-days" waiting for these ap/b/ tards get tired of the game as usual when things get back to normal.

Give me a chat removal Hirez. I can mute them, but they keep coming back. They're everywhere.

Last edited: