Laptop Dedicated no CPU cycles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

alchemist_o

Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
I have seen posts elsewhere on this, but no true solutions. The problem is running a dedicated UT server on a laptop with Windows 2000, it doesn't seem to give it any CPU usage without some assistance. The solution I have found and verified it works is to run the Seti@home program alone with the dedicated UT server. Without this aide it will produce significant lag like symptoms, but what is happening I think is its just not running the program.

I have a Laptop Thinkpad 600x however serverall other laptops were noted in the messages I have seen with the same problem. I have set UT up as a Service an still the same issue. If I run Seti@home with it it runs. I have also set the priority from Normal to VeryHigh to RealTime with no diffference from the Task Manager.

Can anyone help with find a solution better than running another program, that consumes most of the CPU just to dribble a little over to dedicated UT job? Alchemist

alchemist_o

Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Why laptop server

Its like this, I have a laptop at work, that will just sit around while I am at home. To get some use out of it, I bring it home and run a game server in the evening such as UT. Dedicated is the most effecient way to run it as a strick game server.

Now for a solutions. I believe this is a true bug as other dedicate game servers run fine, Q3, Serious Sam, HL.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Laptops use to have a lot of 'power savings' enabled.
Disable all this options before you start the server.

alchemist_o

Jun 4, 2001
Visit site
Power saving is all off Nogo

All the control pannel power saving options are off. Including turning off the network card when not in use. I put UT in Priority High or even higher without any change.

I may have to look into the laptop Bios for a solution, however Laptop bios dialog is very graphic based and not very intuative on the IBM thinkpad. I am not even sure there is a power saving option, but all the control pannel power savings are disabled and it still does not function properly.

The notes I saw on this exact problem did not come up with a fix without running this seti@home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.