Realism of accuracy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DaRealFunkyShyte

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
Can someone with real armed forces experience tell me if it is realisitc that someone walking, looking right through the sights of an assault rifle, can reliably turn 90 degrees or more and accurately hit at a small target within half a second?

Thanks.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Yeah slowly but surely yurch is giving the options to admins of turning INF into "As balanced as it gets" to "As real as it gets." Just be patient know that INF will always be a long way behind other mods cause theres no mula backing it up.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Just know, with his new it system, it getting harder harder to do headshots "a la Counter Strike"... Aiming to kill becomes a real complex task. With vital organ hit detection, being a sniper will need skills closer to RL, including knowledge of the anatomy and its weaknesses. No more one-shot-one-kill-in-the-left-big-tow situations.

DaRealFunkyShyte

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
I dont' know, but Pistols are quick to aim. This is borderline - there might be some Billy the Kid out there who simply has the reflexes. With a rifle, it's more a matter of accellerating masses and re-aligning the (inevitably lost) sights, then taking aim. The timeframe needed for this is a lot more deterministic.

Also, if i remember right, UT is unable to handle a maximum Turn speed. (This had been discussed a while back). So i assume what you are doing currently with the Minimi et al is reducing the input scaling.

I ask thee tho *g* why not simply have Mr. Infguy incur a penalty for turning to fast? Certainly the turn speed can be determined? Or would this be to CPU-hoggy. The gun could "lag behind".

Cleeus[JgKdo]

because respawns suck
Jun 8, 2002
Germany
www.cleeus.de
DaRealFunkyShyte said:
Also, if i remember right, UT is unable to handle a maximum Turn speed. (This had been discussed a while back). So i assume what you are doing currently with the Minimi et al is reducing the input scaling.

Haha, we actually have that feature in INF. Try a M249 and turn as fast as you can (in crouch). You'll see that there is a max turning speed.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
DaRealFunkyShyte said:
I dont' know, but Pistols are quick to aim. This is borderline - there might be some Billy the Kid out there who simply has the reflexes. With a rifle, it's more a matter of accellerating masses and re-aligning the (inevitably lost) sights, then taking aim. The timeframe needed for this is a lot more deterministic.

I ask thee tho *g* why not simply have Mr. Infguy incur a penalty for turning to fast? Certainly the turn speed can be determined? Or would this be to CPU-hoggy. The gun could "lag behind".

That was actually a feature in RAv2. If you turned fast your gun misaligned alot more and took longer to realign.

DaRealFunkyShyte

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
Cleeus[JgKdo] said:
Haha, we actually have that feature in INF. Try a M249 and turn as fast as you can (in crouch). You'll see that there is a max turning speed.
Yes, but is it a real limitation or do you just scale the mouse input down?

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Yes humans can turn around really fast, but with a meter long object extended in their arms weighing upwards of 10Kg? Perhaps we could give the weapons some momentum (ie they will continue to travel after turning, at least within the freeaim zone) and thus force the player to either go slightly slower or decelerate it at the end of the turn. Of course if one did this I would recommend making it such that the momentum is based on the object's horizontal level, so one that is aimed lower and thus closer to the body will have less momentum (angular momentum that is.)

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
erm yes tehy can raven, especially when they know there lives depend on it. Yurch has alot of real armed forces personel in his clan so I would trust his judgment. Besides its not the turning speed that should be altered but the aim "throw off" that should be adjusted. You can spin around and still be perfectly aimed which should not be the case. I like RAv2s aiming system cause of that.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
ravens_hawk said:
Yes humans can turn around really fast, but with a meter long object extended in their arms weighing upwards of 10Kg? Perhaps we could give the weapons some momentum (ie they will continue to travel after turning, at least within the freeaim zone) and thus force the player to either go slightly slower or decelerate it at the end of the turn. Of course if one did this I would recommend making it such that the momentum is based on the object's horizontal level, so one that is aimed lower and thus closer to the body will have less momentum (angular momentum that is.)
I don't think the idea of 'momentum' can really be implemented in a game where we use use a mouse. Joysticks, maybe, but a mouse isn't really a constant input device. Momentum systems always seem to unrealistically favor pistols to an extreme degree as well. Weapon misalignments or other interesting penalties* are fine with me, but not with continued velocity in the same direction. I've never seen a form of this that I like.
Most weapons don't weigh over 10kgs, and they are usually balanced well enough that turning around isn't like swinging a bat.

Remember that limiting the player's rotation you also limit his ability to simply look around himself as well.

* insert maniacally evil laughter here