UT3 Oggextract: tool to extract music and sounds from upk files

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
[repost from before crash]

A while ago I wrote a program that extracts Ogg files that are embedded inside upk files. I was motivated to write this because there was no way to extract data from cooked upk files in UnrealEd, and I wanted to export UT3 sounds.

This is a command-line program, so to use it (on Windows), extract the binaries somewhere, open the command prompt and navigate to this directory, and type the command
Code:
oggextract blah.upk
assuming blah.upk is the path to the upk file you want to obtain sounds from. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to name the files properly, so at the moment you'll get filenames that resemble A_Music_GoDown.upk_0000168b.ogg, which unfortunately isn't very helpful if there are a lot of sounds in the package (for the curious, 0000168b is the (hexadecimal) offset in the file where the beginning of the ogg file is found). If I feel like it I might try to figure out how to get the names of the SoundNodeWave objects one day.

Note that this program should be able to extract embedded Ogg data from any files, not just upk files. Feel free to use the code for whatever you want.

Latest version: December 30, 2007.

Download and source at http://moriya.ca/oggextract/

Last edited:

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
link doesnt work, get timeout everytime :(

thx at first, would be very usefull and much needed, i just searched for some kind of programm to rip ogg-files from cooked upk-packages all the last time cause i need "A_Music_RomUT05.A_Music_RomUT05Mix" in my ut-tracklist :D

[edit] link work now after 2 days...
looks good, recommend people should put files to C:\WINDOWS\system32 to have it global in commandline

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, now I can extract Coret music, thanks for that utility.

mirrodin

May 19, 2008
Uh oh?

Nice utility! as a composer myself I find this should make it much easier for me to be able to analyze how the composers for the retail game developed the music samples. That way I can easily just line up each cue into my DAW and write my own composition to match whatever arrangement i chose from the retail song's pieces i put together. A really useful and quick way of coming up with your own music!

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
It takes some work, and you get a lot of disjointed/useless files, but worth the effort imho. Thanks Nereid! :tup:

mirrodin

May 19, 2008
I wonder if it's possible for this utility to be expanded to extract the ogg files with their respective titles stored inside the packages.

<X-EvE-X>

Apr 7, 2009
after download when i double klick the application it comes up but dissapears immediately

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
after download when i double klick the application it comes up but dissapears immediately

You have to run it from the commandline:
Start Button/Run/cmd
A Dos box should pop up. Use cd:\directoryname to change directories, to where you placed oggextract. Then go oggextract whatever.upk (I drag a copy of the upk file to the oggextract directory 1st).

Reactions: Mrbigstuph

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if it's possible for this utility to be expanded to extract the ogg files with their respective titles stored inside the packages.

I have no idea what the .upk file structure is like. I just search the file for stuff that looks like pieces of an Ogg file and extract them.

Psy_Commando

Oct 10, 2009
hey there, yesterday I stumbled on your neat little program, while I was looking for something to extract mass effect sounds and music. I was a little annoyed that the filename wouldn't get extracted, so I gave a shot at messing around with the code.

It should name properly the extracted audio, and an output dir can be specified. I rewritten the whole main function, added lots of comments, and turned it into c++. However, because I used windows.h, its only for windows, but only a few functions need to be changed to make it linux compatible. I included the source code, the exe, and the visual studio 2005 sln.

I hope someone will find this useful.

Attachments

• oggextract_title.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 915
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Oh, I'll have to try this again on the Gears of War music, as I used oggextract to grab all that stuff. When I extracted the UT3 music, I used some other program someone made that grabbed the titles, but that didn't work for GoW.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
I'm having a bit of trouble with this; whenever I try and run the prompt, I get the following error message:

This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've got no clue why it's doing this. I moved the files to C:\WINDOWS\system32, and everything should technically be working. I'm kind of guessing that the fact that I have Vista has something to do with it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
I did move the cygwin1.dll that came with the oggextractor to the same directory, though, and it still says that it can't find it.

Edit: That's weird, I used the cygwin1.dll you linked to, and it worked once, but now I'm getting the same error again.

Last edited:

colir

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
i'm a newbbie with command line.
Can someone explain me how to extract sound from gears of war step by step please?

thanks you

Pablooo

LD_
Mar 24, 2010
Hello, I don´t know if I did something wrong but I extracted the ogg files from the UT3 demo but no one plays. I tried in Winamp that supports oog vorbis and VLC.
I got 37 files from the CookedPC directory like
VCTF-Suspense_LOC_int.ut3_000837df or
UTFrontEnd.ut3_01371f35

Any hint on what´s going on?
btw I used Nereid extractor.

Thanks in advanced.