Grand Theft Auto 5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Originally Posted by haarg
anyone who didn't enjoy GTA:SA should just stop playing games and then kill themselves

Yeah; let's all martyr ourselves for some game that we don't enjoy or get bored with: "Everyone says this game is cool so, unless, I play this game I won't be cool either".

Jesus Christ (exactly).

Anyone who thinks that way should either turn off the computer and get a life or, failing that, suck on one of these:

coolest-handgun2.jpg

Personally I can't see how the taste of gun oil would be appealing.

I play computer games for entertainment, for fun, not to be bored or frustrated by them.

Let's all give Rockstar all our money and make them rich so we can remain cool!

Or continue playing better games.

Yeah; that works. If you think other games suit your playing style better; play them instead.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I got bored of SA kinda fast, GTA iv almost instantly. iii and vice were definitely the best ones so far, and I think it has to do with more attention to detail in smaller maps.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
are you kidding?
the "attention to detail" in GTA4 was by far the highest level of any GTA to date.

GTA3 and VC were extremely scant on detail in comparison.
the maps might have been slightly large in square footage, but much of the space was empty and void of detail. you realize 1/4 of the map space in Vice City is wasted on EMPTY beach in which NOTHING occurs except for a single mini-car race? and then there was the mall...

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Eh, throwing random duped textures, objects or items everywhere isn't detail. When I went through the city in vice it felt like everywhere I went was new, different or unique. It felt like I was moving through an actual city to a different area. In iv, going through the city was extremely monotonous and it felt like I was going through a loop.

Could just be the feeling of moving around the map faster since it's smaller, but that still counts with what I said before. Nah, but I think it also actually has to do with them giving more attention to each square foot. They had limited space to work with back then and they had to make it count after all.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I think you're wearing rose colored glasses.

VC environments were sparse and bland outside of the 'nightlife' area at the very beginning of the game.
it felt much more artificial and empty than GTA4.

GTA Vice City is the only entry I've played to completion, and the only one at which I played at an aggressive pace. Maybe it was the fact that my character was voiced by Ray Liota and Dennis Hopper was in the game, or that I essentially played out the events of Scarface with an upbeat angle. Or that I could drive motorcycles and get into car chases with cops to Flock of Seagulls or Michael Jackson. Or that it was the first entry in the series to include the shattering windows. And it was also the entry with the best music. I could go to any station at any moment and have a smile on my face. It was also the funniest game in the series.

Certainly later entries improved upon those technical things, and IV most of all with ragdoll physics. But they added a whole bunch of other stuff that I just didn't use. Cell phones and internet dating in GTA IV? Give me a break. San Andreas probably had the most explorable game space in terms of scope, but most of it was boring aside from the flight stuff and the gangsta factor literally killed the game for me. And I mean literally. Those Hood skirmishes were the lowest of the low in the series. Besides the James Woods sections of San Andreas...gotta say San Andreas was the least one for me, disregarding those awful "stories" ones.

I know it comes down to taste. But the more top heavy the series got with all the training wheels and pointless relationship-related nonesense they introduced in San Andreas and hammered to shit in IV, I found that my experiences with both games went as follows; play enough missions to unlock locations and all the guns, then just get into trouble with the law and see how long it takes the National Guard to kill you.

So I know I'll play GTA V. I just hope they cut the fat off it and stick to the fun, which is what Vice City perfected.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Eh, the only GTA I've ever played was Vice City and that was for the multiplayer mod.
One of my RL buddies made a mod for that mod that let you do all kinds of crazy things

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
They really nailed the over the top 80's atmosphere in VC, and I'm too young to remember those. It had it problems, production quality of the newer ones is much better I agree.

Also I thought the world size was just right, I only played SA half way through or so.
Mainly because it felt, to me, that it took forever to get from one spot to another. The countryside was huge, and there wasn't a really straightforward way to get from one town to another without spending ten minutes traversing the countryside. But I know some people that actually enjoyed that. Also, the erh... 'thug life' storyline just isn't my thing.

Also, Tommy was amusing and CJ acted like he only had half a braincel most of the time :D

Haven't played 4, my brother has it on PS3, looks nice though, probably should give it a try.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The bigger the maps, the bigger the sand box, the better it is.

I just wish the games would let me play them.

I still might re-install GTA:SA if I can find someone who has a save file with the map opened up.