Runtime for immersive language learning

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

vnomad

Feb 10, 2008
Vardo, Norway
We're looking into alternatives for developing on/off-line courses for immigrants to Norway. Using Unreal Technology opens interesting possibilities for conveying cultural context along with "real" language situations :D

It appears that we would need to register and purchase a licence to distribute this content on CD, or online using the server (I believe the server is only available upon registration?).

Our budget is meagre. Has anybody here done something similar?

Regards,
Dagfinn Aaslid,
aFoto.com

vnomad

Feb 10, 2008
Vardo, Norway
Thanks, AngelMapper, glad to see you around still!

That's an encouraging answer. From what I've seen, the Runtime is typically used for architectural visualization, emergency simulation/training, and various scientific modes of modeling.

I believe the (full) UTech was used in some project for training US military in cross cultural communication skills in Iraq? Could something similar be done with the Runtime?

What sort of projects did you work on - pretty pretty please . . :rolleyes:

I'm playing around with the Runtime UnrealEd as we speak. Pretty steep learningcurve, really DIFFERENT, but I can see how it would be both fast, sleek, powerful, and FUN once a person gets past the initial Builder Brush . .

I have to review your tutorials again, it's scary what I've forgotten in just two years.

PS. The link in your signature to the tutorials is broken. It should be:
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/tutorials.htm

-Dagfinn

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Right, I knew I was forgetting something, thanks (just reorganized it the other week). :D

Most recently (last year) I worked on the Highrise Evacuation Learning Platform, which was a Runtime project for the Chicago Fire Department that taught people the proper way to evacuate a building during a fire. In the past I've also worked on a paramedic simulator, and a safety game for autistic children using the Runtime.

Really anything that can be done with the full game can be done with the Runtime, you just have to make all your own content and can't use it commercially obviously.