Question about controls...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xayd

:\
Jul 26, 2000
BF, Arkansas?
Visit site
Ok, just coming to UT from other games, and didn't take me long to figure out that a keyboarder gets slaughtered in this game....quick...

Problem is I've played other games for years with number pad navigation, and for the life of me can't get used to aiming with a mouse. It's just awkward.

My question is has anyone used a game pad with UT with any success? Back in college we used to tear each other up on N64's in Goldeneye with the N64 style controllers. If there was such a beast that'd work with Unreal, it'd solve all my problems.

Possible? Recommendations? Damn fool idea?

Thanks in advance

Xayd

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Try and get used to the mouse/keyboard combo IMHO.

Alternatively, you can go for the PantherXL (jostick/trackball combo)
or the Gravis Xterminator (dual joystick/gamepad)

Xayd

Jul 26, 2000
BF, Arkansas?
Visit site
Hmmm, from looking at that Gravis pad it seems like a 64 gamepad design. I think we have a winner. Thanks for the info.

Now, to get one and exploit my to-this-point-hindered skills on some poor bastard's grill...

Xayd

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I'd take inflictor's advice...believe me I hated the switch to the mouse keyboard combo but once you get used to it there's no going back.

Blowfish

Jul 17, 2000
New York City
mechanize.net
Is a trackball like Kensington TurboMouse or Kensington TurboBall any good for UT? I like PantherXL fromt he looks of it but the ball is on the left side and I'm used to mouselooking with my right so I dont know how thatll work out...

Xayd

Jul 26, 2000
BF, Arkansas?
Visit site
Well, that's what's great about that 30 day return policy. I may try both a high end joystick and that digital game pad, and see how they work. I'll post back with my results if anyone else is interested.

Xayd

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
Hey Xayd. In the end, you gotta make the decision that's most comfortable for you, but just bear this in mind:

99.9% of the top FPS players use a kb/mouse and likely do so because it works the best (for them)

:D

(I blindly guessed that percentage, but I'd say it's pretty close)

Jeff

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Yeah, the Xterminator is very versitile. It has loads of buttons for the most dextrous of players.

Having said that, you can't use the joystick and pad at the same time though and I can't ever imagine playing UT in the same manner as Goldeneye for example....there's too many psychos out there. I only use mine for Starlancer and FIFA 2000.

On the subject of joysticks: some of the best players here use PantherXLs...

Xayd

Jul 26, 2000
BF, Arkansas?
Visit site
Yeah, I thought of that. Goldeneye worked with that type of pad because no everyone was limited to the same strategy. Couldn't run and aim with crosshair at the same time, not easily anyways, because of game pad limitations. I guess I'll just have to head down to Best Buy and start opening boxes and playin with sticks until they throw me out of the store ;).

Anyways, thanks for all the replies.

Xayd

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
The keyboard/mouse combo also rules because you have all those keys immediately available for you to use. I've never used a pab/stick, but I think it would hinder me to let go of the input device to strike a key. Unless you're a DM man/woman, and you don't need as many team key binds...

/me thinks I only have 3 keys left to bind...

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
I know how you feel.

Back in the Quake2 days, I always used a toggle button for Free Look. I was so used to using the mouse for movement. The problem I had was that it took me too long to aim. I was always getting owned online. (A lot of times
I still am) I forced myself to use Free Look all the time. Once you get used to it, it's great.

I am a big advocate of the KB/Mouse combo. As said earlier, you really need access to a lot of keys. In addition to your movement and weapons. You also have voice commands and acknowledgements. (For team games) Text bindings, and maybe a few alias' setup.

Right now I use over 20 keys on the KB, in addition to 3 buttons on the mouse. I need to setup about 10 more.

In the end you have to figure out what works for you. If you can have success with a joystick or gamepad, more power to ya. Good Luck! :)