Odd sized glass sheets

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
I have a question on glass sheets. The bmp shows that I am trying to put glass sheets in between all the beams and as it shows the beams are multi angled and are placed around the base of a dome. Any thoughts on a quick effective way to do this. I have tried rotating and modifying sheets in the 2d editor etc but they end up pretty distorted. I want to give the appearence of a dome and outside that is obviously the skyzone. Suggestions appreciated.
Hope the attachment comes out ok :)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
the bmp won't work for me. All I get is a tan coloured canvas.
without having seen the situation ...have you tried deinterseting the glass sheets using a cube?

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
There are multiple solutions to getting the sheets to fit correctly, one is creating a hollow dome, and adding it as a semisolid translucent, and not 2 sided, that would work, or manually clip the sheet brush with cubes until it's the right shape, then intersecting it, and moving it to where you want the glass, and add it as transparent glass.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Vertex editing should do the trick. I would suggest you start out by making the basic shape in the top view and then use multi-vertex editing to move the sides down to the right height. Then just duplicate and rotate.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Vertex Editing is unstable if you don't know what you are doing, and with one sheet brush, it doesn't allow you to fit a curve like in the picture.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Interesting Maverick if I create the hollow dome as you say and make it cover all the legs vertical faces then intersect it, it would then fill all the empty space evenly between the legs of the structure top to bottom. If that worked it would create my glass to match the round base as a bonus. I'll give it a try thanks much.
Oh btw as it would only be half a sphere to begin with I would have to interesect a whole sphere to get my half and then would I de- intersect the half that is left once it is in place, if that makes sense .Or is it the other way round.
The vertex editing I tried it wasn't pretty I hope your idea works

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The hollow dome method should also work. I think Mav is talking about a cube with a dome carved out of the bottom. Semis doesn't cut the surrounding geometry so there would be no need to intersect it around the frame (same as ICH). You could also try a non-solid 2 sided dome with the bottom invisible.

Last edited:

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Qbic I had looked at your map Tritium very nice work it's a keeper for me. Some of you guys out there really do keep raising the bar don't you my first release isn't in your league but I'd really like your input. I know some of what I did wrong is obvious but i could use the critique. I submitted to nali about a week ago as CTF-BSnT4a

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by Bogdon
Interesting Maverick if I create the hollow dome as you say and make it cover all the legs vertical faces then intersect it, it would then fill all the empty space evenly between the legs of the structure top to bottom. If that worked it would create my glass to match the round base as a bonus. I'll give it a try thanks much.
Oh btw as it would only be half a sphere to begin with I would have to interesect a whole sphere to get my half and then would I de- intersect the half that is left once it is in place, if that makes sense .Or is it the other way round.
The vertex editing I tried it wasn't pretty I hope your idea works

Take the dome, make sure it's hollow, do whatever, then, take a cube, and cover one half of the dome, intersect, that will give you a dome without a bottom, so it's like an upside down bowl, then add it as a semisolid where you want it. :)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
with a perfect fit you'll have issues with the sides of the beam that meet the glass being see thru if you set translucency to true for the glass. You'll need to scale it down a tad to add the glass.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by Qbic
The hollow dome method should also work. I think Mav is talking about a cube with a dome carved out of the bottom. Semis doesn't cut the surrounding geometry so there would be no need to intersect it around the frame (same as ICH). You could also try a non-solid 2 sided dome with the bottom invisible.

I literally meant a complete dome, not a cube with a subtracted dome. :) You build a dome by clicking sphere, make sure u have hollow selected, that makes the sphere have an inside, then, you take a cube and make it so it covers half of the sphere, and intersect, the cube wraps completely around the dome, so it makes a bowl like shape.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Damn, these replies keep coming fast.

My advice to Bogdon:
Layout should come first and is also damn hard to get right. Detailing, textures and lighting add a lot to the feel of a level but if you look at some of the retail maps they are technically rather simple.

Im glad at least somebody download my maps :).

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by Qbic
Damn, these replies keep coming fast.

My advice to Bogdon:
Layout should come first and is also damn hard to get right. Detailing, textures and lighting add a lot to the feel of a level but if you look at some of the retail maps they are technically rather simple.

Im glad at least somebody download my maps :).

Well, get UTUnderGround and NaliCity along with other review sites to review them, and people will start DLing them more. :) I review at UTUG.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Maverick you wrote yesterday:
You build a dome by clicking sphere, make sure u have hollow selected, that makes the sphere have an inside, then, you take a cube and make it so it covers half of the sphere, and intersect, the cube wraps completely around the dome, so it makes a bowl like shape.

That idea didn't work at all. First color me stupid but the Tetrahedron or sphere builder has no hollow option(I must be missing something here) its the cylinder that has that building option. I tried building a half sphere and intersecting into the legs of my structure and the result was quite bizarre. I even tried building a cube vertex editing the points to fit one segment and intersected that but the result was unusable.
The bogs is
Dazed and confused
Maybe there is no simple way to do this :(

kvak

Jul 27, 2001
The Netherlands
Visit site
Perhaps you should try this:

From what I see It would be easy to build up each window section from three seperate sections. Two square ones(for the bottom two section) and one rectangulair one(for the small shape left in the top), hope you grasp idea this so far...:). Otherwise you might want to refrain from reading any further...:)

Here comes the trick...rotate the sheet brush so it kinda aligns to where you would like the window to be
Turn on pivot snapping, and turn off the grid(be carefull with this and don't forget to turn it on later). Select a vertex from the sheet brush by -left clicking- on it in the 3D window, I advise to start with a bottom one.
If you hold down the -left alt- button, you should be able to move the vertex by dragging you mouse while holding down the -left mouse- button. (If you're familliar with the controls you should be able to move the vertex in the 3D window as well).

Now try moving the vertex to the matching curve in your spider architecture. If you get it close enough it will snap to the curve.
By moving all the vertexes this way and snapping them to the matching curve you should be able to get, clean, seamless architecture.
Once you have one part finished simple duplicating mirroring and rotating should do the rest..

OK, I know sounds a bit difficult and it's pretty hard to explain this fairly simple process this way :( but if you know how to do this you will probaly find it to be a usefull trick in many other cases.

Hmmm...visuals....

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Yes I do think I understand what you are saying I had been trying it with sheets this morning and using the vertex editing but your instructions make it much clearer kvak and thanks for the pic that helps a lot :D