multiple PCs running UT behind Linksys router

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

timberwolfdp

May 26, 2000
Visit site
I have a Linksys DSL router connected to Bell Atlantic's PPPoE DSL service. I can play UT on one PC on the network out to an internet server. However, when I start a second game on another PC on my network and connect to the same server, both PCs just get major lag. I used to be able to play games on multiple PCs when I had ISDN with Bell Atlantic using SyGate, now I can't. Any ideas? Is it router configuration? Anyone with the Linksys that has this working, your help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Timber,

I've had my eye on the Linksys box myself, so I hope you get this worked out- I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it turns out.

If you don't mind, can you give me your overall impressions of the box? I've read it's configurable via a web browser on any of the PC's in the LAN- how does this work for you? Have you found it to be easy to configure?

I'm currently running my LAN behind Winproxy, and have had my own issues with that program- I love it for everything EXCEPT it's handling of inbound connection attempts- I can't seem to run a server behind the wall. have you tried running UT as a Server behind the Linksys box with any success?

[MUTTS]ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that the state-appointed psychiatrist is our 'friend'."
-Jack Handey

timberwolfdp

May 26, 2000
Visit site
ImagoX-

The Linksys is great! It's extremely fast, however I do have the gaming issues with it. I also can't seem to initate an outgoing connection with ICQ2000. You can only open 10 ports, but you can put one PC on the DMZ. I've been able to run a UT server on it, you just have to check what port it's running on in the unrealtournament.ini file and make sure that port is open to the internet.

Wolf

Timber,

What gaming issues specifically?

Personally, I've had little trouble w/Winproxy 3, since it supports Transparent Proxys- I just set the Default Gateway to the internal IP of my server PC, and Winproxy does the rest. Connecting OUT to the world is generally very easy.

HOWEVER, on inbound requests, Winproxy is sucking wind for some reason- drat.

I'm assuming that the Linksys box has an internal NIC device, and picks up the IP address from your DSL connection? I have cable and do much the same w/ my firewall PC, which has an internal and external NIC. DOes this support dynamic IP addressing (Roadrunner spins my address almost weekly)?

[MUTTS]ImagoX

timberwolfdp

May 26, 2000
Visit site
a_nuke-

The router uses NAT for the firewall, no proxy.

ImagoX-

The only real issue is not being able to run multiple games at once on the same Internet server over my connection. I haven't tried running multiple games on different servers, but what fun is that? I want people to be able to play in the same location.

Wolf