How to make solid masks??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NarkyBark

Nov 25, 1999
Boston, MA, USA
www.clock.org
Could you define "solid masks" a bit more?
If you mean a mask (plane) that you can't walk through, masks are always nonsolid. Put an invisible collision hull next to it (a special brush) just a couple units thick, and make sure the hull doesn't touch any other brushes.

lestat

Nov 29, 1999
boise,id,usa
unrealcontest.com
If your trying to make a tranparent window, or something, its best just not to use a mask, instead use a regular brush, but make it 2 units thick, and dont have it touch anything, kind of like the above reply.Sheets are best for decorations, or zones, like water.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
what do you mean by not touching anything? whats the point of having a floating window?
Unless it was floating it would chop a hole in anything it touched, so whats the point??
argh, now I'm more confused

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
If you make it like lestat said then it should be a semi-solid and shouldn't touch any semi-solid brushes. It'll work and it'll block stuff.

lestat

Nov 29, 1999
boise,id,usa
unrealcontest.com
What i mean by not touching anything, is just BARELY not touching anything, this way it wont ruin the effect, example,say you have a window hole that is 130x130 and leads to the outside, you want to put glass in, but it makes holes, what you do is make the glass brush 128x128, and however thick you want, 2 units will work,place it just inside the window hole, but make sure it doesnt quite touch, the 2 unit difference is enough to get rid of the hole, but small enough of a gap where your eye wont see taht its floating, it will not appear floating, anyway, heh god im bad at explaining things, but I hope you understand better what I meant now.
lestat

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Ahh I see. Could you not do the same with an invisible collision hull and leave the window intact? ie if the frame is 64*64, make the hull 62*62*2 and leave the window at 64*64

unDuLe

Dec 24, 1999
www.planetunreal.com
Hey Stilgar, this issue used to bug me too --so I thought, though you have the issue tackled, I'd chime in 8)

What I do is set the grid to 1 unit and place an invisible collision hull behind the sheet, and this works like a snap.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Cool I did open my presents on the right day... in New Zealand /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

My parents didn't work today but my mom does tomorrow. So today it was! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
Man did I get a lot of CD's.