Hey, offliners!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Play online.

You've got your chance today and tomorrow at FragBU. What's there to loose? You may even like playing online.

If it's a skill thing, forget it, it's a private server so no pub e-jerks will be on the server, just get on and have some fun.

Come on, what do you say? Playing online is something that everyone should enjoy, especially in a community that's so small.

:)

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Nah. Poor connection = bad ping = awful game experience = not worth it and already a dealbreaker. Then there's also the aspects of limited selection of maps, mods, mutators, etc. and not really getting to pick what you play weighing in. Offline, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want with better performance. There's also a lot of players online who are even dumber than bots (on public servers).

Most people who play offline do so for the flexibility and lack of BS that it provides over online play. I'm not sure who you're trying to sway with a thread like this, because most people (like me) who don't play online do so for these kinds of reasons. I can't speak for everyone, but skill has nothing to do with it for me.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
There's also a lot of players online who are even dumber than bots (on public servers).

It is about FragBU not usual pubs. :rolleyes: And not even the most godlike bot could even come remotely close to the worst FragBUer.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
How are bots fun? I've never understood why people like playing against bots.

The only exception are the CPM bots since they can predict just as well as a real human can.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
They're no keeper for me so I'm in your camp JD.
CPM refuse to work for me for some reasons :|

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ok kinda OT but whenever I load something is just pops back to main menu like it's missing something to go in game, no error pop up or anything. :|

EDIT: Ok nm I just needed the mappack.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you have a bad ping, so what? Ren used to play with a 600+ms ping every night at FragBU. You're playing with friendly peeps that will (hopefully) give you a break if your ping is high :)

I'd come to FragBU but I've been getting on too late.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
How are bots fun? I've never understood why people like playing against bots.

The only exception are the CPM bots since they can predict just as well as a real human can.
They're fun when you don't know what your missing out on :p
But seriously playing against bots gets boring very quickly.
I don't play UT3 very often, for that reason.

Chromatik

Jan 24, 2008
Play online.

If it's a skill thing, forget it, it's a private server so no pub e-jerks will be on the server, just get on and have some fun.

If by "fun" you mean be incessantly pounded on by people as good as you no thanks ;) ... I spec'd last night but didn't join since there was nothing even close to an even match involved. If someone is better than me but I have a chance to get a few frags in here an there than fine. Last night though would have consisted of spawn, die, spawn, die, with me never getting a shot off. I've seen godlike bots with crappier accuracy than you. I had to spec you for about 4 minutes solid to verify that you weren't botting or something. Then there's the part where your health didn't drop for about 3 minutes solid because no one could hit you. If there was more teamplay going on and less straight DM I might have jumped in. Unfortunately when you guys finally started getting into team play I got paged at work.

Its understood that in games like this you are going to get fragged alot. But there is a certain point where its no fun to connect to a server just to die repeatedly. It stops being fun real quick. You can tell by my post count vs reg date that I am quite the lurker and offliner, though I've been playing Unreal games since 98. I just don't have the time to invest to get extremely good.

I'm not knocking you for being as good as you are dude, in fact kudos for the level of skill you displayed. But understand offliners tend to stick offline because they are casual gamers and taking the time to find and connect to a server just to get owned with no chance of recourse feels like a pointless venture.

I'm going to go play some skilled bots now... :D

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well, I actually wanted to play CTF but there just weren't enough people for CTF until later and then everyone kept voting for TDM. That's the only reason why I'm assuming everyone kept voting for DM at the time. I tried to vote for other gametypes but I was always in the middle of typing something and I kept missing the chance to vote. I could always switch it in web admin but that would be abusing my admin powers. ;)

I've been playing the Unreal based games for just as long as you, starting out in Unreal and worked my way up with each version. I actually started off playing a lot of botmatches in Unreal, I thought the bots were great, they were much better than anything I'd played in Doom, Duke3d or, Quack. Plus it was far smoother than other online mp at the time. Once I decided to go online in Unreal, I was hooked. Sure there was a time where I'd get completely destroyed by better players but I just kept playing and playing and I improved.

If you stop on by tonight, I promise that I won't vote for DM unless the player count is too low. TBH I prefer just messing around with physics or the silly carzzz than actually playing the game. I haven't really played in four weeks because where I work decided to randomly give me 40+ hour work weeks and adjusting from 12 to 40+ isn't very easy. So I'd rather slowly get the rust off instead of trying to go into it 100% because that just makes me queasy. :p

Just remember at FragBU, no one will talk trash to you, no one will judge you on how you do. If you're in-game and don't really want to play, most regulars, like me, will stop and we can just mess around. I'd gladly stop and not play, I'd actually prefer it. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The thing to remember is that DM is always going to seem like one person is smashing everyone else, even if they are only barely trying. All they have to do is run away from questionable fights and come up on other people fighting so they can get easier kills.

The more people that join, the more likely that team games like CTF can be voted in. If enough people come, even VCTF or WAR could be played. More people just need to come on.

And if people want to goof off for a whole map, that's doable. There are lots of maps where it is great fun to just goof around the whole time.

I'm guilty of not coming on much anymore, too. I am going to try really hard to get one sometime tonight, but I usually get home closing in on midnight Eastern and the server is usually empty. I also have like a billion games I'm trying to play through right now, so that doesn't help.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The thing to remember is that DM is always going to seem like one person is smashing everyone else, even if they are only barely trying. All they have to do is run away from questionable fights and come up on other people fighting so they can get easier kills.

Rankin demo servers second floor using the adrenaline booster.
captnkill.gif

I agree. That's how DM is and it often happen someone in the game is much better than everyone else. This applies to every DM game there is.