Bulletstorm 2 Shelved - PC Pirates "A Big Problem"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VorLoN

This message is irrelavant
Apr 6, 2008
Netherlands
"I think Bulletstorm was very critically successful, and I think a lot of folks really enjoyed seeing something new," he said. "From a sales perspective it was good, but not amazing. I think EA was hoping we'd do better."

"We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

There's the problem, he shouldn't think that much, he's obviously not very good at it.

Sure piracy might have played a part, but it's a result and not the reason. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed the game quite a lot despite its flaws. Could have been a lot better though.

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Good point VorLoN :)

Heres TB:s opinion of it all and i agree 100%
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es8WkmHTO4A&feature=g-all-u&context=G26b6af3FAAAAAAAADAA[/M]

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
There's the problem, he shouldn't think that much, he's obviously not very good at it.

Sure piracy might have played a part, but it's a result and not the reason. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed the game quite a lot despite its flaws. Could have been a lot better though.
Piracy didn't play a part... it's a value you measure... but factors which contributed to piracy might have.

What those factors may have been?

Perhaps that the game was subpar and had a lot of launch-window anti-hype?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Good point VorLoN :)

Heres TB:s opinion of it all and i agree 100%
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es8WkmHTO4A&feature=g-all-u&context=G26b6af3FAAAAAAAADAA[/M]

Oh god yes, this is why I love his videos.

Epic are a bunch of useless hacks nowadays, CliffyB can eat a dick, and PCF need to get out of Epics hands immediately.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic owns PCF so there is no "getting out of their hands". What PCF needs to do is not work with EA anymore and realize that the majority of PC gamers hate GFWL so use something better.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
Epic owns PCF so there is no "getting out of their hands". What PCF needs to do is not work with EA anymore and realize that the majority of PC gamers hate GFWL so use something better.

Stay away from Gamespy as well

UT3 and Borderlands were both crappier because of Gamespy

Use Steam....it works great!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[NBK]Rattman;2558674 said:
Stay away from Gamespy as well

UT3 and Borderlands were both crappier because of Gamespy

Use Steam....it works great!
Fortunately it's 99.9999% likely Borderlands 2 will use Steam.

Metaltron

choppin' broccoli
Mar 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
steamcommunity.com
Bulletstorm 2 Shelved - Epic Games "A Big Problem"
more like.

I had a feeling they would do that. I was fortunate to get the game working from the start and I liked what I saw. A lot. If I had the money I would buy the IP and make another one but they will just sit on it as usual. much like EA and Origin's IPs (the old game company, not the steamclone).

LivingPuppet

Registered Puppet
Sep 13, 2003
Tiny Toy Town of Terror
Visit site
Idk, many game companies are still out of touch with gamers. You've got Dark Souls coming out for PC in a few months and that's using GFWL. I was interested in the port until I read that part. For many gamers, GFWL instantly means a lost sale. If a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution used GFWL, I wouldn't have bought it after playing the leaked beta. Btw Steam is the lesser of all evils.

I don't know how Epic can jump from sh*tspy from UT3 to Games Feces Windows Live for BS. They're still clueless after all these years.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They can do that by doing what is called "lazy porting". PCF did the same thing with Gears of War PC. You would think they would start to see a trend here.

"We've used GFWL twice and both games failed... hmmmm"

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Yeah typical PR bullshit that Capps is spewing.

The game was a failure because

-Way overpriced for the gameplay that it offered. The skillshots were a cover for extremely linear gameplay. Game shouldn't have been more than 20 bucks from the get go.

-Buggy graphics and shoddy 16:10 performance.

-Multiplayer that really isn't worth a shit.

-GFWL. It took me nearly an hour just to get the damn thing working.

The game would have been pirated if it was the best game that year, there is nothing going to stop it. I bet if you check out the 360 and ps3 piracy stats they will be just as high up there. Capps you are a faker.

Yeah; let's blame piracy for everything although your game and your business model sucks.

At least you can then use that as a good excuse to lay off some staff (rather than because you games is totally average and didn't shift units).

Morons. :tdown:

Piracy; the IT industry excuse for incompetency, failure and greed.

Quote:
a potential follow-up to Bulletstorm has been shelved, citing PC piracy as a big problem

Quote:
Epic Working On PC-Exclusive Title

the-eu-talks-internet-piracy-sarkozy-downloads-amendment138-bono-euweek.jpg

2007_02_19_internet_piracy.jpg

Excuses, excuses.......... morons.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Idk, many game companies are still out of touch with gamers.

I was thinking that.... or more along the lines of the fact that, back in the day when UT and Unreal (amongst other games), were still rocking no one gave a crap about this stuff because the games were really popular.

So some kid in Russia wanted to try their crappy new game and didn't pay for it...... well boo-f***ing-hoo. It probably wasn't worth buying anyway.

Here is a picture of Lady Gaga describing where their balls would be if they had any:

Gaga_1797850c.jpg

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I think many companies also do not consider that many "pirates" are living in other countries and would not have access to a local shop/store to buy it anyway.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Yup! That's actually hurting sale in a degree in China coz the only working choice we have here is to order it online, and hope it to arrive before every one else here finishes playing the pirated version.
Sometimes I am amazed by how fast the Russian geeks can crack and release the pirated games. You know we play game for fun, and waiting there while seeing everyone else playing is not fun.
I pre-ordered Bulletstorm, but before it arrived, I had played through about 1/3 of the SP, in the pirated version, coz I just can't wait.
We have local shops that sell games, just they are far, and they are even slower to get the retail game sometimes.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
LOL these guys have successfully managed over the years becoming THE clowns of the industry :lol:

And I thought CliffyB was the only immature turd in that company... they are rather all the same there.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Lol Mike Capps on PC again.

Yes, PC is a terrible platform, pirates are a HUGE DEAL and micro transaction games (shops) always fail. Why the fuck would you want to make a PC game?

No seriously, Bulletstorm was a really avearge game developed for Consoles, it didn't even support the extra tidbits on the pc.. Game Editor? No way, their excuse: "The scoring system doesn't work in the editor"

They just make their games for consoles, then make half-hassled ports of these games for PC (GFWL, low res Textures, mouse is nearly a "feature"), then this cry-me-a-river declares PC pirates as a problem. He even acknowledges that the game "wasn't the best port ever" yet he expected the game to do well.

Let's make this simple for everyone here;

Mike Capps: Let's hear the sound of $. Let's not hear what our consumers want and what is bad for the platform we are porting our games on.

TIL: Bulletstorm 2 won't happen on PC. Mike Capps still works at Epic Games - a triple A studio which still priorities it's market over the quality of their games.
After GoW PC release, Mike Capps made a very similar statement. Any future releases of GoW never made it to PC afterwards.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Lol Mike Capps on PC again.

Yes, PC is a terrible platform, pirates are a HUGE DEAL and micro transaction games (shops) always fail. Why the fuck would you want to make a PC game?

No seriously, Bulletstorm was a really avearge game developed for Consoles, it didn't even support the extra tidbits on the pc.. Game Editor? No way, their excuse: "The scoring system doesn't work in the editor"

They just make their games for consoles, then make half-hassled ports of these games for PC (GFWL, low res Textures, mouse is nearly a "feature"), then this cry-me-a-river declares PC pirates as a problem. He even acknowledges that the game "wasn't the best port ever" yet he expected the game to do well.

Let's make this simple for everyone here;

Mike Capps: Let's hear the sound of $. Let's not hear what our consumers want and what is bad for the platform we are porting our games on.

TIL: Bulletstorm 2 won't happen on PC. Mike Capps still works at Epic Games - a triple A studio which still priorities it's market over the quality of their games.
After GoW PC release, Mike Capps made a very similar statement. Any future releases of GoW never made it to PC afterwards.

u mad bro?