Bulletstorm 2 Shelved - PC Pirates "A Big Problem"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Speaking to Gamespot at PAX this weekend, Epic Games' president Mike Capps stated that a potential follow-up to Bulletstorm has been shelved, citing PC piracy as a big problem. The game apparently did not live up to EA's expectations.

"We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
It wasn't a bad port, it was a horrid port
Ran bad, played bad(who needs jump when we can just tie it to the same button for 4 other actions?), fratboy humor, encrypted config files, etc

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
a potential follow-up to Bulletstorm has been shelved, citing PC piracy as a big problem
Epic Working On PC-Exclusive Title

JackieChan.jpg

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yeah typical PR bullshit that Capps is spewing.

The game was a failure because

-Way overpriced for the gameplay that it offered. The skillshots were a cover for extremely linear gameplay. Game shouldn't have been more than 20 bucks from the get go.

-Buggy graphics and shoddy 16:10 performance.

-Multiplayer that really isn't worth a shit.

-GFWL. It took me nearly an hour just to get the damn thing working.

The game would have been pirated if it was the best game that year, there is nothing going to stop it. I bet if you check out the 360 and ps3 piracy stats they will be just as high up there. Capps you are a faker.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
They had an opportunity to make a classic-style shooter, but it ended up being more space marines and linear lever cover.

Make a good game and that all won't matter. Piracy increases reputation (if its good) and thus increases sales. This is known.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Why can't they just admit they made a bad game.

I'm surprised that they're even bothing with PC anymore. Every PR statment they've made over the last few years has been poison to anyone that plays on a PC.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Why can't they just admit they made a bad game.

I'm surprised that they're even bothing with PC anymore. Every PR statment they've made over the last few years has been poison to anyone that plays on a PC.
Yeah, it seems like even Ubisoft is getting less anti-PC than Epic nowadays. :rolleyes:

a potential follow-up to Bulletstorm has been shelved, citing PC piracy as a big problem
Epic Working On PC-Exclusive Title
Maybe they are trying reverse psychology?!

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
as said previously, $60 pricetag is waaaaay too high for something like that. If epic would have released it at 20 bucks with mod support, it would have been a whole other story. :)

PS : I have bulletstorm on steam. (thanks Flak !!!!)

Last edited:

Tzuiop

Apr 16, 2009
"It wasn't the best PC port ever" darn right your are boy. A pirat is for me someone who has interest in your game so why don't you ask yourself how do we make him a customer? Hint: Its not GfWL
And piracy does not 1:1 harm.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
"It wasn't the best PC port ever" darn right your are boy. A pirat is for me someone who has interest in your game so why don't you ask yourself how do we make him a customer? Hint: Its not GfWL
And piracy does not 1:1 harm.

Shitty gameplay and shitty services do, however.

Apr 11, 2006
Shame, a second game could've allowed them to learn from the mistakes of the first one. But it seems like they decided not to.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
To make an announcement like that, days after appearing in an interview proclaiming that you're working on a PC exclusive title just makes it look like the company has completely lost the plot.

Tzuiop

Apr 16, 2009
Shitty gameplay and shitty services do, however.

I thought that the gunplay was good, despite that you could only carry 2 guns but where are my trial parkours where are my secret rooms where are my puzzles. They advertised this game as oldschool but it just wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Shouldn't the bulk of the sales come from the console version though? If it was a success there, why not make a BS2 then?

OR did it not sell well overall because 60 bucks just isn't a fair price for the game? Shitty port or not (and it was shitty): it just isn't worth 60 bucks.
I liked it a lot, thought the gameplay was fun and funny, the presentation was gorgeous, story was alright (Sarrano's swearing got on my nerves though), but I bought it recently during a steam sale and while admittedly 5 bucks was a steal, anything over 30 would have been a rip-off.

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
The basic gameplay is fine and fun. Just lack of enough variations and the skillshot system runs repeatedly very soon. The level is linear but that's not the main reason why people stop playing it after go through SP. The whole skillshot thing could be much much more fun if they understood why games like Portal can be so fun with such simple rules. It's all about how to use these simple rules to create something much deep and thoughtful, and force the player to really challenge himself, no matter there are puzzles or big boss. Run and gun is oldschool and good for MP games like UT, but not enough for SP.
So Bulletstorm appeared to be a classic shooter but very soon us oldschool players found out it was not like that coz the SP is short and there is no real MP.
And they did advertised nothing besides the skillshots, didn't they? No wonder many players didn't expect it to be an AAA shooter that worths 60 bucks.
I pre-ordered this game but no map editor + no mp made me quite disappointed.

Last edited:

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
"We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

That is a trite and depressing comment. Especially so considering it did relatively poorly on consoles too.

I actually liked it btw. , however it had two major flaws : 1. The SP was way too short for a full priced game. 2. It was ridiculously easy , the leash was so overpowered (as everyone who saw the previews told them it would be), you could virtually play through the game on the hardest setting without firing .