What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Number 6 was not to call it 3.5, read again ;) I was just continuing the line of thought that it doesn't have to be a whole new game but along the lines of what UT2004 was to UT2003, or even a glorified ECE type thing... many games have extension packs.

Thanks though. As I said, the name for the boots is not important, but the fact that it brings together many disparate elements is.

Xan would be a good fit... what clown dude though? I hope you don't mean mr. crow...

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I think the community is so tainted with hate right now that nothing would satisfy the majority. I'd have to go with Brizz and basically say that whatever it is, polish the hell out of it.

Personally, I think it may be time to let the UT series rest for a few years and bring it back completely overhauled just keeping some basic elements from the original series of games. That's just a thought.

Depending on how well UT3 sells on 360, though, the series may have a longer shelf life on console than it does on PC.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Tainted with hate? The situation we have is a result of 2 vastly different games, and a third which promised to bring them together and only half delivered on that promise, one, by delivering a half finished game, and two, by further diluting the universe with things nobody asked for. It is not as if people are intent on not playing this game. They just need a reason.

They put these random needless elements in (like the whole war) as some kind of brainstorm to please the console kids with a campaign. The concept of a campaign is good, even in a UT game it could have worked and still can. Time won't heal any of this perceived "hate", the more time goes by leaving it in this state, the more negative talk will occur and the less people will care. So in fact, time is of the essence to rectify it - otherwise just let the series die.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
1. Drop the storyline. Basically, even if Epic took the time to do it right in a second installment, you're still starting off with something that's become a joke in the gaming community. Do a tournament ladder with actual depth to it, and leave it at that. And Xan should be the boss, Malcolm is not a good boss character.

2. New gametypes: Conquest mode, ala XMP. MonsterHunt. UT3 RPG mutator.

3. Bring back Skaarj, make new models for Titans, Mercenaries, and all the rest of the Na Pali monsters. Integrate this with MonsterHunt to provide a cooperative PvE online experience.

4. New weapons and vehicles. I'm up for a whole new set of weapons.

5. Fixed and improved stats. I want accurate stats tracking, and stats that make sense. Where the hell are roadkills? What are "orb captures"? Why can't I look at match statistics?

6. Make it so that we can actually see other peoples' models in game instead of having all of these cool models that are unused because everyone defaults to demoguy. Load the skins next time we die, or whatever.

7. New UI.

8. Improved vehicle balance. Less avril reliance, better vehicle physics, less paper-rock-scissors.

9. Polish.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Add Online Features like the ones in this thread:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178766

I don't think the core gameplay of UT3 has to change too much, but it lacks many features that would keep people staying with this game. Encourage Team Play, Clans and Community. That and overhaul the UI to be something more like UWindows or better.

Apparently, QuakeLive has many of these modern features.

Also put the Tournament back in Unreal Tournament.

Perhaps figuring out a way to make this run on machines with even lower requirements might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Tainted with hate? The situation we have is a result of 2 vastly different games, and a third which promised to bring them together and only half delivered on that promise, one, by delivering a half finished game, and two, by further diluting the universe with things nobody asked for. It is not as if people are intent on not playing this game. They just need a reason.

They put these random needless elements in (like the whole war) as some kind of brainstorm to please the console kids with a campaign. The concept of a campaign is good, even in a UT game it could have worked and still can. Time won't heal any of this perceived "hate", the more time goes by leaving it in this state, the more negative talk will occur and the less people will care. So in fact, time is of the essence to rectify it - otherwise just let the series die.

Look, I love the series, but I'm not blind to the problems, but I don't think the community has ever recovered from the launch of UT2003. The vocal haters of the series were intent on hating UT3 from long before it launched. UT2004 was a different game. It developed it's own community beyond UT's original, albeit much smaller.

However, saying that a campaign element somehow for "console kids" is pretty perplexing. So we're saying that campaigns are for kids or console players. Also, though there are lot more young players on consoles, I hardly think the demographic of the current console generation is kids. This is 1989 and the advent of the Nintendo 8-bit.

The average age of console players is mid 20s to 30s these days.

I think to say that the addition of a campaign is strictly to satisfy consoles is very near-sighted. Lots of people don't go online with games on PC and consoles both, and having no serious single player element really lessens the shelf life of any game of this genre.

My only point really was the the series needs to be a relaunched to a new audience properly rather than Epic continuing trying to satisfy a past community with all this baggage. Putting some time between titles I think will help that.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Number 6 was not to call it 3.5, read again ;) I was just continuing the line of thought that it doesn't have to be a whole new game but along the lines of what UT2004 was to UT2003, or even a glorified ECE type thing... many games have extension packs....
I R Blind and illegiterate, or sumthin.

Thanks though. As I said, the name for the boots is not important, but the fact that it brings together many disparate elements is
Hah, I thought you'd pick up on the Canadian thing, but you missed it. Arg.

Xan would be a good fit... what clown dude though? I hope you don't mean mr. crow...
Hell ya, the Crowmeister. Is there another UT clown that most everyone either fears or hates more?

Apr 11, 2006
I was just going to come back here and add an addendum to my post about how UT3's friends system is a joke, and pretty much the whole social aspect of the game is missing. (Not that it really needs it with a community that small, but still...)

Also, let me add another request for a built-in mod database with a bittorrent client distribution system and some kind of auto-installer - Perusing Epic forums for releases, and then having to dig through the directory structure is just a depressing hassle.

Anisotonic

Jan 21, 2008
Montréal
They should just keep heading the same way but make UT a PC game again, scrap the idea of making it for both pc and consoles. Can't see how that could fail.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I was just going to come back here and add an addendum to my post about how UT3's friends system is a joke, and pretty much the whole social aspect of the game is missing. (Not that it really needs it with a community that small, but still...)

Also, let me add another request for a built-in mod database with a bittorrent client distribution system and some kind of auto-installer - Perusing Epic forums for releases, and then having to dig through the directory structure is just a depressing hassle.

Those would be awesome +million.

I don't think you can get away with multiplayer games with bare minimal features like that anymore. Quake Live is getting these cool features. MMO's like WoW have them. I think advanced community and networking features would have kept more people playing this game.

Many of the gametypes that flopped like Assault, Domination, XMP, Bombing Run would have succeeded with these features. These require people to work effectively as a team and you can't do that if you're playing with effective strangers everytime.

A BitTorrent style system for Mods would also be pretty rocking, esp with a user rating system to filter out the good from the crap.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Before I say anything about which direction I want them to go, I'd like to say that I want them to make the game correctly this time. Finish the coding, polish the game off, BETA TEST IT and not with a damn beta demo that's worthless for testing, actually test the damn thing for weeks to months in the public. Steal the idea directly from iD, who cares how that might make you look? You'll have a better game for it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I drink your milkshake! >:[___DRAINAGE!___]

Wherever they take it I just want it not to suck. UT3 never felt right/solid to me (I blame consoles and unfinishedness), so if they fix that then I'm game.

Oh, yeah. ASSAULT. ONS doesn't work. Stop trying to force it!

Last edited:

DaJMasta

Jun 12, 2004
New, more comprehensive menu UI
More emphasis on physics and interactive environments even within classic gametypes
Bring back assault

All else is bonus for me.

What just baffles my mind a little bit.... epic releases an engine and advertises the interactive potential a fair amount, then makes a product with AMAZING tools to make it work (Kismet especially), but ships a game not utilizing their engine's and tools' strengths and doesn't include the one gametype which really could take advantage of everything without changing the classic gametypes.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
There wasn't really an option for this but I want something unreal compared to the last one. For instance what was done from UT1 to UT2k3/4. Sure they can keep the weapons and basic UT stuff but I want more of an overall new game.

Last edited:

UncleThursday

teh suxx0r
Sep 6, 2004
Hell, AKA New Jersey
www.gamesarefun.com
1. Drop the storyline. Basically, even if Epic took the time to do it right in a second installment, you're still starting off with something that's become a joke in the gaming community. Do a tournament ladder with actual depth to it, and leave it at that. And Xan should be the boss, Malcolm is not a good boss character.

Been a while since I've been to these forums.... but I wanted to say something about this.

I may get flamed for mentioning UC2 for the Xbox... but I think the campaign in that game was spot on how it should have been done in UT3. UC2 was an actual tournament for the single player mode, with an overarching story behind it.

Anubis sees Selket is trying for the Nahkti throne, and he enters the tournament to stop her from both achieving the throne and dying in the tournament (since the final match has the respawners turned off for the final kills-- the Nahkti tradition is to the actual death for the throne)-- because he does still love her but also knows she is pretty much evil to the core.

Over the course of the single player, you played in an actual tournament dealing with DM, TDM, CTF, and the UC2 specific modes of Overdose (which was a great game type, IMHO) and Nali Slaughter. It taught you the basics early on (jumping, UC2's melee, weapons and tactics), and got progressively harder by throwing mutators at you (instagib, low grav, etc.) and harder opponents.

UT3's campaign, though, is just a mish mash of TDM, CTF, vCTF, and Warzone with a non-sensical and utterly unimportant storyline behind it that gets bogged down by the complete inadequacy of your teammates' AI during the CTF, vCTF and Warzone game types (they do decent in TDM, though). Real shame then, that Epic decided to make the majority of the matches CTF, vCTF and Warzone. I basically refuse to finish the campaign on my 360 unless I am playing co-op because of the fact that my AI teammates are complete idiots.

A campaign/single player story mode shouldn't be just thrown out... But, at the same time, it should be well thought out and have a storyline that makes sense within the reasons for the tournament. I think UC2 was a step in the right direction for how a campaign can be done while still being a tournament.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I'm quite on the fence with this one.
On one hand I'd love a well-playing UT title that isn't almost 10 years old already, and would buy it immediately.
On the other hand...do we really need a new UT?
I'm thinking the series either needs a revamp, or the next Epic title should not be UT, but a new franchise BASED ON UT that would allow them to try new directions and innovate more without pissing off the long-time fans.

I'd love something a bit more complex/intricate than the current formula.
Example: We've seen the UT weapons now, small balance tweaks won't make it feel like a new game anymore.
Almost all the 'skillbased' shooters like quake, UT, warsow, painkiller, etc seem to be based ONLY on fast movement and weapon skills, completely neglecting any tactics besides map control. (Not counting gametypes like WAR).
Meanwhile, all the more intricate and teambased shooters are slow, noobed down and your aim is based more on luck than on actual skills.

I'd like to see a sort of middle ground.
A tactical game(type) that would grant players more abilities than just their weapon and movement, yet still retain those defining fast-paced elements that I love about UT.
I'm sorry to mention this game here, but imagine a Counterstrike that had UT/quake movement and weapons (oh, and about 100% less lamers). That would be a pretty amazing game IMO.

This is why I almost can't stand playing CoD4 for too long, and why I think that TF2 is very spammy. In CoD4 your weapons are absolute **** except for a few, and most of the encounters are decided by spraying. In TF2 the weapons are pretty okay, but the movement is so goddamn lame.

Maybe I'm drifting too far off base here, but I'd really like a "similar to UT gamestyle" team-based shooter.

Last edited: