2.86, too realistic?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wwwwww

Mar 26, 2001
Is there a chance 2.86 will be too realistic. Its hard to say since most of us havent tried it.... but we properbly all agree that there is a line for how realistic a game should be, and still playerble. Will 2.86 cross this... opinions? And if not...what IS too realistic?

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Thanks. I was just thinking that we need to have another thread dedicated to this topic, because this thread hasn't been posted to in a couple of days. I thought at first that this thread would take the torch, but it hasn't been posted to for like 12 hours so it must be dead too.

BTW, by all indications: no we don't all agree, no, and a whole lot more realistic. (my response)

Trak

Rampant Suicide Machine
Mar 19, 2001
Nashville
www.uglymachine.com
Personally I hope they slow movement down. Way down. If that is too realistic for some people I'm sorry, but the current movement speeds make the game too much like supersoldiers on crack. That plus the new inertia stuff should make the game more squad based, giving the glory hounds real problems.

Trak

Rampant Suicide Machine
Mar 19, 2001
Nashville
www.uglymachine.com
At least you didn't come in claiming to be an ultra 1337 "real gamer" :rolleyes: or a sarcastic ass. You put up a reasonable topic for real debate and respectful expression of opinion unlike the other two threads mentioned. Maybe your topic isn't inflamatory enough for the community since it was stated respectfully, thoughtfully and with a header that stated the topic clearly.

/sarcasm on
Gee what were you thinking Patriarch?
\sarcasm off

wwwwww

Mar 26, 2001
Thanks

Actually what I was thinking was to see some opinions... Just cause I started the thread does not mean that I think its too realistic myself... Not at all... problem with the double threads that appear is that some people dont manage to post a clear header... I would never read threads with headers that you mentioned earlier (my loss? maybe)

But anyway... unless the topic gets discussed then could some moderator please delete it?

Lolo Konijn

Huppel huppel
Jul 30, 2000
The Netherlands
Maybe when the game is to realistic, they could change back for gameplay, but IMO they should first make it as realistic as possible.

But if the game becomes real, it wouldn't be fun. I mean have you ever heard a sane person say that war is fun?

DJSatane

Aug 4, 2001
cuih.speedline.ca
IF its too realistic for some, then why dont they go play Strike Force or Max Payne. Infiltration is great and 2.86 should really bring us closer to realism, if some don't like that there are plenty of fast minded unrealistic games out there for ya.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I mean have you ever heard a sane person say that war is fun?
Sane people... no, soldiers... yes.

And like satane says. If you think it's too realistic then there ae plenty others that should suit your taste.
If you don't want those there are two options:

-you can go burn in hell
-you can STFU.

RiotChild

Apr 17, 2001
clansma.cjb.net
You would have to take into consideration on how playable or how attractive the game play of future INF versions would be and how it would affect its popularity.
The on-line gaming community has a very diverse taste ranging from those who admire the fast action paced games such as Quake or those that enjoy slowed down strategically realistic games such as Rouge Spear.
Of course there’s a loyal following of gamers that demand more realism but there is always a limit to where you have to balance realism with fun. Judging by the current popularity of INF compared to other realism shooters, it seems that the majority gamers still prefer other games that don’t lean so much towards extreme realism more appealing.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
No, I don't think the next version is too realistic. I'm looking forward to how the new features change how the game is played. And, bits like inertia are actually welcome and useful here. They're really "in place". In Tribes 2 there was inertia, but it was just too frustrating as it was like playing quake... just with so many restrictions. And cone fire. God I hate cone fire...

Farouk

Adept
Oct 19, 2000
Germany
Yeah, but that doesn't say there is need for another semi-realistic shooter. I think Inf (as well as any other game) should search its niche and stay there.
Three completely different shooter are better than three times pretty much the same, even if I'd like three of them in the second case and only one in the first.

As for realism, personally I don't care if I fight humans or aliens or if the weapons are all known from the real world as long as the setting and weapons are coherent and somewhat "believable". I know many others have a different view on that and it's nice for them that Infiltration has these features.
But what I like is that Inf is going to something I always wanted: realism in gameplay/movement/aiming. I want a game where it's more succesful to be cautious, to fire out of cover instead of circlestrafing an enemy.

And yes, I think too that the current running speed is too fast.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I dont mind realism so long as it dosent interfere with my gameplay.
read: a jillion buttons to push and memorise, a gun that dosent work at least 80% of the time, my enemies having too great an advantage over me because of hardware and not skill.

thats not to say I wanna get stiffed either.
If I wanted quake, I could buy it and install for alot less trouble.
I want teh whole military experience as I can get it within a few parameters (playing time, my ability to understand it, my hardware limits)

realism is great
realism is good
just make sure its still fun and fair for everyone when your done tweaking :p

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
my enemies having too great an advantage over me because of hardware and not skill.

The good thing about realism it makes it more fair for all involved since hardware and fast reactions matter less. A good example are flight sims. You can stuill kick some major ass with your $2 joystick 14" screen and semi-broken keyboard if you know the tactics.

The only thing limiting your effectiveness in a truely realistic game is the hardware up here *taps forehead*.

-=TBF=-KOFFEYKID

Jun 2, 2001
New York
Visit site
No, Inf will not cross that boundry. It's really a matter of playing style for most first person shooters. When ppl get comfortale to playing a certain way, there style advances. Not in Inf though. Alot of it is luck, skill, strategy and teamwork. Wich can always be added too. That is why many ppl go from UT to CS or TO. They cant use their style in Inf.

Tiran Kenja

CO of Creepers
Feb 26, 2001
www.creepers.org
Originally posted by Farouk
As for realism, personally I don't care if I fight humans or aliens or if the weapons are all known from the real world as long as the setting and weapons are coherent and somewhat "believable". I know many others have a different view on that and it's nice for them that Infiltration has these features.
But what I like is that Inf is going to something I always wanted: realism in gameplay/movement/aiming. I want a game where it's more succesful to be cautious, to fire out of cover instead of circlestrafing an enemy.

And yes, I think too that the current running speed is too fast.

Uhmmm... How do you judge if the aiming of a laser-pulse-blaster-rifle with triple rocket launcher and build in auto aim is realistic? And how do you know if the just mentioned weapons damage is realistically applied to an 3-legged green blob of some alien race?

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Inf should be close to perfect in 286 IMO

Introducing a jogging speed. Your run key will toggle between a walk and jog, while holding it down will sprint, and thus reduce accuracy to a near worthless state

shooting from cover will be more effective, making for a more thoughtful game

The transition between prone and standing each has a unique animation, which doesn't occur immediately. (No more "prone hopping") Diving prone is still available, though at a cost to stamina

New collision detection for prone allows for taking realistic damage at the body, legs, and head

prone will now work as it was intended from the beginning

Introducing player inertia. This prevents instant changes of direction while sprinting, as well as a necessary distance to stop from a full sprint.

Again, shooting from cover will be more effective since it will be harder to dodge. And about hardware advantage, slower directional changes will make it easier for players with substantial lag to hit their targets.

All in all I think Infiltration will be much closer to it's goal of a truly realistic game that's still a lot of fun, even for people new to it. The only things still missing then will be mission oriented strategy, and some non-weapon equipment such as binoculars or night vision

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I think that the way INF is going, more realistic elements put in, better the playing experience will become.
I'm all for more realism in this mod as long as they don't put that annoying "dripping your sweat in the eye" effect. :D

Last edited by a moderator: