Updating GeForce 6200 driver = broken?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Got a GeForce 6200 as a cheap card to tide me off until I can get a new machine. Slow, but works fine... sorta.

I downloaded the driver update from NVidia. About five times, actually. Every time I install it, after rebooting, the screen resolution drops to crap and for all purposes the computer acts like it doesn't recognize the driver.

What gives?

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I can only help with general advice:
Have you uninstalled the old one before you installed the new one?
If you have done that but it didn't work you could try to use DriverCleaner to get rid of potential remnants.
Don't use that windows-popup to install the new driver but cancel that before it installs anything and only use the installer of the driver.

Also some of the newer drivers don't support some older cards anymore if I read right (I could be wrong). I think one of the newer ones only supports the cards back to the 6800 or was it the 6600?
Make sure you picked one that supports your card. This "one driver fits all" approach seems to have been abandoned.

My 6600GT was not properly recognized by the system because even with the driver it didn't get that it was an agp card. I installed mainboard drivers and that fixed it. Maybe you need (new) mainboard drivers too.