shotgun/rifle recoil animations?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheHollowMan

Apr 20, 2000
As we all know, when you fire the shotgun or the sniper rifles (without using the scope), the FOV jolts upward. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be more realistic if the recoil was part of the animation for each gun? What I mean is, instead of having the FOV shift, you would see the gun recoil, and your hands would automatically compensate for the movement. It's rather hard to explain, but IMHO it would look a lot better.

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense)

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
That might be kinda wierd, I don't know. It would require the reticule (or percieved aim point, depending on whether shouldering weapon or not) to move around while the FOV remains still, because if the gun moves upward then your aim should too. So the aim point would move around independent of the mouse, which might seem a little weird.

Also, the same type of animations would need to be worked when player movement of any kind throws off aim, for sake of consistency.

TheHollowMan

Apr 20, 2000
I guess I was thinking that the gun wouldn't be able to fire again until returned to its regular position.

>Also, the same type of animations would need to be worked when player movement of any kind throws off aim, for sake of consistency.

I'm not sure I know quite what you mean by this. I would like to see more animation when the gun is just being held, ie. the hands moving around, stroking the gun, etc. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif It would have to depend on what the player is doing at the time. I guess I'm thinking of Halflife, where the guns seem to move around constantly.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Try to fire a Shotgun without shaking your whole body a bit /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif
Even a well trained person will slightly change his/hers view. The arms can compensate much of the recoil energy, but not all. And its the simpliest and easiest way to 'simulate' the recoil. A weapon 'moving' across the screen while firing will look a bit weirdo /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Omega SW

Mar 24, 2000
Illonois
Visit site
BUT then it would look like your being shot with an ak-47 everytimne you fire! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
I am Omega(SW)FaL, I am the end...

TheHollowMan

Apr 20, 2000
It would look odd...I still think that the recoil should be animated. When you fire a gun in real life, surely you don't automatically look up...your eyes would keep looking ahead, even if your body got a jolt.

Oitucrem

Mar 10, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Yes, if you have shouldered the weapon you would most likely keep your eyes fixed around the end of the barrel.

------------------
047 079 105 116 117 099 114 101 109

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
This gets me thinking about something. In 3.0, wait, I'd better review the roadmap again. I always forget what's in that thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oitucrem

Mar 10, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
IMHO the shotgun should be shouldered in aimmode - hipshot sucks for accuracy even with those. And while aiming with a shouldered shotgun, you use the end of the barrel as aiming point.

------------------
047 079 105 116 117 099 114 101 109