Networking two computers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritWalker

Tattooed Beat Messiah / Prime Mover
Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
you could use a cross over cable, if you are just going to use 2 computers.

but either way you will need to set the computers up with their own IPs and subnet masks
You can buy a cross over cable at Best Buy. But make sure the sales guy knows that you want a cross over cable

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/135/bbsm_lvl2spprt3.gif

you can get a cheap hub for about 25, and that will allow you to have at least 4 computers connecting to the hub. Though you will still need to assign your own IPs and subnet masks.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Stilgar said:
Is a hub essential for this to work? I just want to direct connect two machines (XP) through ethernet.
If it`s just files between the two XP machines you want to transfer back and forth, I am able to do that with just a reg LAN cable between the two computer`s LAN ports, as long as both machines are set to share. The cable has the same wire layout end to end when you lay the plugs side by side and compare the colors of the wires.
If it`s the internet you want for both machines plus transferring files between, then a hub or switch between the machines and the router is what you want.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I`ll take pics so you can see for yourself, and share them with whoever you wish. plz stand by.
By the way, I just love how you can never ask a simple question without looking like a flaming fool.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site

SpiritWalker

Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
I am not saying that you don't know how to transfer data (duuuuhhhhhh don't ya jest makeum admins??)

I am saying that you don't even know the name of the medium that you are using..

I am saying that you are a fool
I am saying that you are a tard

I am saying that you have no idea how to do what you are wanting to do. I think someone did it for you.

If you really think that you are correct.. TRUELY think so...

Answer this:

Did you have to setup your own IP addresses and subnets?
What is your default gateway?
what's your DHCP addresses?
can you ping each other by host name? can you ping each other by IP?
what does Net View give you in a CMD line?

and be VERY CAREFUL when answering....

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
what did I say about asking a question without looking like a flaming fool?? :rolleyes:

Did you have to setup your own IP addresses and subnets? NO
What is your default gateway? Don`t know, didn`t need to know.
what's your DHCP addresses? see above.
can you ping each other by host name? can you ping each other by IP? I don`t have to ping the other machine nor did I try, I just browse there in windows, go to the other machines folders I want, copy and paste to the folder on my machine.
what does Net View give you in a CMD line? I don`t know what Net View is, but I`d be willing to dnld it and give you a screenshot of or whatever you`re asking for, have a link??

SpiritWalker

Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
LOLOLOL

Net View... open a command lin and type N-e-t V-i-e-w and hit enter

you want a link??

http://localhost

If you do not setup your IP addresses and subnets then the computer can't be talking to each other... By default XP searchs for a DHCP server which is how you get your IP address.. and with out a subnet, then you can't do anything with an IP addy

SpiritWalker

Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
the hell... you are a stupid freaking moron.. you have no idea on networking.. LOL.. I saw the link.. well John is wrong, you would still at the very least need to set up your on IPs and subnets. You said that you didn't.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
he`s the networking moderator with over 23,000 posts, I dare you go tell him he doesn`t know what he`s talking about. :rolleyes:
Still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.