The Lord of the Rings

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Okay, timeout. Star Wars and Harry Potter have been getting way too much attention lately. :mad:
Everybody seems to be talking about those two movies.

Now, let's talk about The Lord of the Rings, or else... :chainsaw:

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
LOTR is the one movie that I WILL NOT MISS THIS YEAR, whatever it takes for me to get to that cinema....

... I'm not too fussed about Star Wars, I'm a major fan of the original trilogy, but the let-down that was Episode 1 dampened my enthusiasm for Episode 2.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
I hope I'm going to see all 3 :).

But in order of preference, it would be LotR, Star Wars 2 and then Harry Potter. Harry Potter is a good children's book, but a children's book at that. An entertaining story, but only for a short time, and then it's over.

There was another article in the Times a couple of days ago, saying that Harry Potter embodied the good and bad of Western culture. What it boiled down to was this:

Good: Fight against evil because the evil is dangerous, not for revenge. The difference being that Harry doesn't blow up the Sanitorium.

Bad: Micro-celebrities turn up to the premiere.

And this was the Times. :eek:

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I seriously doubt that any movie can capture the magic and depth of the book, but I'm still gonna watch the movies, for sure.
I'm a bit concerned that the 1st movie will be quite boring. There is not much happening in book 1. :hmm: Most of the action is in part 2 and 3.

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
IMHO:

Harry Potter will be great (going to see it this saturday).

LOTR will also be great, indeed it may be greater than great.

Episode II will probably be awful, but after Ep1 I don't have high expectations so at least I won't be disappointed.

Have any of you guys seen The Others? I highly recommend it.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
No desire to see Harry Potter.
At one time I was the bigest and most disturbing of StarWars fans... After Ep1, I am not as excited as I would have been...

LOTR
Lord of the Rings
The book that Raised me, That taught me to aprecieate Leterature... The book that made me an English major and got me started writing...

LOTR... Yes I think I will see it.

Already have taken Dec19 off

[edit] Tetris, Tetris, Tetris, There will be plenty of Thriller style action and suspence for the First movie... I will list while doing my best not to give spoilers.
sept 30 Black Riders in Crickethollow
Attack on Prancing Pony <--Possibly seen in Previews
Oct 6 Weathertop <--looks Good in Previews
Oct 20 Flight to the Ford <---Altered but still looks very good
Flashback Scenes for the History of the Ring (Last Alliance, Sauron, Elendil and Anorian's Fall, Isuldur's Fall, etc...)
Sept 18 Gandalf leaves Orthanc
Jan 11,12 Blizzard
Jan13 Wolves
Jan 13-15 MORIA!!!!! <----Action enough for ya?
Jan 15 Bad stuff happens here
Feb 23 Boats attacked
Fab 26 Borimir's stand
source: Return of the King Apendix B

Yeah, I doubt it will be boaring

[/edit]

Last edited:

Jadestar

flu3nt!
Feb 22, 2000
West Linn, Oregon
www.spriteshack.com
there will probably be a "Magic the Gathering" game based on this

Hmmph. There has already been a card game based on Middle Earth. Though it didn't receive the success of Magic: The Gathering, it was still pretty cool. I sure hope they don't re-release it based around the movie.

As for my opinions on the movie itself, I think it's gonna be the best thing since Braveheart. And for me, that's saying a lot. I've read all four books quite a few times, maybe five or six.. and while I don't think the movies will be able to match up to the books themselves, they should still be worth seeing. I'm just glad they didn't try to cram all the stories into one movie.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
D66,
don't get me wrong, I love the book. Read it 5 or 6 times. The last time has been a while ago though. :hmm:
Book 1 has a few things happening, but compared to 2 and 3it's a bit boring. The closer they get to Barad-Dur, the bigger the action.