**** Microsoft

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
I'm tired of their Bull****, my friend bought while he was over my house, we broght it back to mine, well microsoft, ever ****ing penny pinching, made a nice copy prtection system which won't let the game run on my CD rom drive, then we find out that the minimum requirements are outright lies and my friend can't play it on his p3 450, cause it need like an 850 (which i have but the CDROM issue). so once again **** MICROSOFT

umm.. you didn't even say what game it was
goof.gif

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
One thing I know for sure: WIN2000 is the most stable System since WIN95 series. IT simply *****never***** locks up. And I know why: the hardware compatibility table for it is HUGE!!! If u have a Celeron 133 or a PIV 2Ghz it will run. AMD: ok. Even Seagate HDs run ok with it. And Seagate sux. In my University we have a huge server, that makes a "LAN" with the universitary hospital, the 4(FOUR) Campus(one in Curitiba - here, one in Londrina(300Km from Curitiba), one is the Hospital and one is a Experimental Farm). Everyting works with WIN2000. Everything runs smooth. In the main Campus, where I study and work, we have simply more than a thousand computers integrated: ranging from Student Accessible computers, Automation Labs, servers, UNIX, MAC... to our OWN internet provider. Everything(but MAC´s and so...) uses WIN2000PRO. If you can get a copy of it, get if. It may not be as fast as WINME - wich I have in my P2 400, but when it is ready, prepare yourself for the most stable Microsoft Windows experience ever. I have WIN2000Pro in my main CPu, the famous AMD 1200, 256ddr... It runs simply shiny. UT: perfect.
CS: perfect. WORD: perfect. When I use eDonkey - to make some downloads - it does not even slows a bit. The memory refresh system is perfect.

The only still w/o solution problem I found was in my ASP converter. It does not work ´cause of a filter. Just that.

BUT: I always got the actualizations and so, WIN2000Pro simply will not crash, lockup, slow down, show you a Blue Screen, never.

I like it. Many of my friends and Teachers still prefer WIN98SE. Their computers are much like mine - high end, gaming propuse, with typing machine integrated. I just liked to try out WIN2000 and I liked it. It took a while, but now it´s fine. If u have the minimum requirements - 1Gb HD...(!!!!) , give it a try. I gave a try to WINMe: it´s the best thing for girl: fast and not complicated. Locks sometimes, but nothing u cant undo with system restore.

Win2kPro is for pro... Awesome. I prefer it over Linux, ´cause Linux is somehow a little hard and lacks many stuff. Windown may have it´s flaws, but is still the best.

PS: I´m almost an Computer Engeneer, so I know what I´m talkin´bout.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"One thing I know for sure: WIN2000 is the most stable System since WIN95 series. IT simply *****never***** locks up. And I know why: the hardware compatibility table for it is HUGE!!!"

1. W2k and W9x are based on completely differend technology. W9x is based on a 16/32 Bit mix system that is still based on DOS and W2k is based on NT.

2. That difference is the reason why 2k is more stable than 9x.

3. Hardwarecompatibility for W9x is way better than for W2k. (means more supported hardware couse you won't find W2k drivers for every hardware.)

4. W2k is only stable if the drivers are OK. That's 1 of the main reasons that it crases sometimes.

5. I use W2k at work. I crased only one time. ..... the moment I removed the Network cable! The "connection disturbet" message appeared but that's it.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
W2K is stable because it runs all your programs in isolated enviroments, that way if something crashes it doesn't bring down everything else

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Yes. And it's called "Preemptive Multitasking"
I didn't want to go into detail in that point. I just wanted to say that it's not the same technology as 9x (BTW 9x is crap from a technology POW) and that is the main reason that it is more stable.

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Ummm, guys, I crash in Win2k about 3 times a day. And, strangely enough WinME only crashes that same amount. And ME only seems to crash because I'm multi-tasking and the damn ram gets filled up. Actually that's one of the big problems with me and any 9x system, the ram gradually fills up with **** then windows doesn't clean out. You can get programs to empty it, or just friggin restart. Sometimes after I go to the program it says only 16% percent is free! Of course I did have my computer on 2 days :p

Vampeero

Also known as Piezo
Jul 16, 2000
I run ME because it came with my computer....and I have 384mB of ram.

Windows is such a bitch I have to restart ever day to clean out my ram!

I start 17% ram in use...after INF 67% in use....after KaZaA and such 86% in use...etc.

Oh, and that is after the programs are closed.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Originally posted by Vampeero
I run ME because it came with my computer....and I have 384mB of ram.

Windows is such a bitch I have to restart ever day to clean out my ram!

I start 17% ram in use...after INF 67% in use....after KaZaA and such 86% in use...etc.

Oh, and that is after the programs are closed.

DAMN!! This is what I'm talkin about. ME suuuuuuux! I have 128 megs and when I start my computer I'm at 98% free resources. If I run INF and then close it, I'm at 92%. If I run Morpheus and close it, I'm at 88%. It doesn't matter how long I run and close these programs, always the same regardless. 98SE ownz.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
I was talking to this guy i know the other day and he was talking about a linux box he's running for an FTP server. He says he keeps it on for a month or so at a time and thats with constant downloading and uploading. I have to restart at least twice to three times a day, and im running ol' 98. UT and a lot of other games are on Linux, i'm thinking of digging up some of my old hardware and creating a penguin box to test some stuff out on.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I suggest you guys give Windows a maximum diskcache.

In your System.ini is a [vcache] line.
put the following under it.
MaxFileCache=16000

16000 is the ammount of maximum RAM that windows will use for caching files. You can change that number to something that fits your ammount of RAM. I heard that 1/8 of your system RAM is a good value.

This won't solve all RAM related problems but it helps.

And you could use a RAM cleaner/optimiser.