T&L or Voodoo5?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CBuzz

Mar 5, 2000
Washington, DC
www.planetunreal.com
Anyone know if many new games will be supporting T&L? I'd really like to pick up the voodoo5 when it hits, but will I be missing much because of it's lack of T&L support? Those T-Buffer effects on the voodoos sure look like they'll be cool... just wondering...

-chris

G

In english please. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have no idea what T&L is and I am planning on getting a V5 5500, so please somebody let me know whats the deal.
CC

Corin

Jan 26, 2000
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Well, the way it looks to me is, go with T&L.

Most of the newer games will be inclusing T&L support, and, if you use Open-GL it can increase your systems performance drastically.

T&L stands for transform and lighting, both of which are done by your CPU. The new cards with T&L engines will take most of the strain from doing this, off of your CPU, whereas monster cards, like the upcoming Voodoos' will still only provide pure power, which is good, for programs with high polygon counts. But cards like the GeForce256 and the upcoming card from ATI will be better. They will be strong and they will have T&L engines, so, in other words they will be the best of both worlds.

CBuzz

Mar 5, 2000
Washington, DC
www.planetunreal.com
Still though, I'd hate tp miss out on all that T-Buffer eye candy from the v5's. It's been alluded to that the v5's motion blur will reduce the need (to some extent) for high framerates. The blur works like it does on film, where motion blur over a much lower framerate fools our brains into percieving fluid motion. Combine that, plus full screen hardware anti-ailiasing, with some serious raw processing power and the v5 sounds very attractive. I guess we'll have to wait till they hit the shelves...

-chris