War Damage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
before and after pics of a battle.

See how many things you can count have changed :lol:

Also have this cool idea of having a special hidden gas pipe that if hit would cause a chain reaction blowing all the armour plating off leaving fire... but that might be a bit too much.

I was trying to limit it to grenades and above causing damage but the effect looks good still.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 85
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 76

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
most of the metal blast armour surrounding the bunker walls (flat pieces) have been hit and have either fallen off, or are swinging on its joints.

I guess you lot where never good at those spot the difference puzzles... :)

Adding pic...

TIMBER!!!!

There is a special damage volume at the base of the tree which when it has reached its damage level from grenades or mgun fire, it triggers the tree to fall.

Attachments

• timber.jpg
    timber.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
:)

Ive done it very carefully so its only 'Deco' Damage. The damage doesnt effect gameplay, only visual, apart from two pieces which actually fall off. The rest are set to high detail only, so only people on high gfx settings will see them.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
uhm it could be, its just using basic karma...

Bassically. Karma objects can be set not to interact with the world until shot at (if told to do so) the pieces which fall off totally are bassicaly 'floating' or fixed. once they are shot at the karma physics wake up and they fall to the ground.

The same happens with the bits of armour which get knocked out of place except they have hinges and pivots which they act on follow.

The Tree is another karma hinge joint (at the base of tree) except its trigged by a damage volume.

Its pretty simple stuff. But you have to be careful about stuff like this as it can be disabled on slow system pcs and is not always synchronised across a server so using it as part of gameplay would be very hard.

Its not as good as the one in HL2 which i think uses havok, where you can do more "interactive" stuff without performance loss.

Also I LOVE the effect in Tribes Vengence with vehicle armour where it comes off when the vehicle takes damage. That would be ace to do in DA2. Maybe a armoured bunker where the sides can be blown off.

But im not sure if the coding/dynamics of it are due to the updated Unreal 2.5 Engine. As i havent seen the effect used in UT2004.

And anything moving like a vehicle wanting to use this might need us to coding it. But im not sure about a static object like a bunker. I guess if you spend enough time in UED playing around with karma and scripted events you can get the same effect.

The problem I have is the effect. You can make something explode really well like KABOOOOM and bits fly, by having a damage/health level such as 50 hit points.

However, if someone damaged the object upto 49hit points, and then say fired a single bullet from the handgun to reach 50. The resulting explosion to the person would seem like very very over the top...

I guess one way to do it, is to have a recharging health level. So every second it reheals itself. So the only way to damage it enough to explode would be to have lots of damage applied to it in a short space of time. Such as a grenade of constant weapon fire.

However I have not seen anything so far which suggests any type of rehealing value.

Also if anyone knows anything about the karma, Im looking for a way to send an object flying into the air once triggerd, like an elastic band pulled tight. So when an explosion effect is triggerd and the bits of armour are trigged, the settings send the object flying into the air rather than just falling to the ground. It needs to be karma too, not just a fancy mover.

Last edited:

BobTheFish

DA2 Junkie
Sep 2, 2004
FluXs said:
I guess one way to do it, is to have a recharging health level. So every second it reheals itself. So the only way to damage it enough to explode would be to have lots of damage applied to it in a short space of time. Such as a grenade of constant weapon fire.

Another way to do it would be to invent a special value (a little smaller than the damage the smallest grenade would do, but much larger than bullet damage), for the purpose of my example we'll call it Jim.

if ((Tank.health < Jim)&&(Tank.health > 0)) Tank.health = Jim;

That way bullets will never kill it, but as soon as a grenade/rocket hits it, all the health goes and it dies. This would eliminate the vehicle recharging its health while it's left alone. (Of course you might have liked the recharging effect, I just think it's unrealistic).

I've never used Unreal script before so I don't know what things you can and can't do, but it's just a thought.

Last edited:

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
I was refering to the recharging idea for stuff like the armour on the bunker. or a pipe line to only trigger the explosion from a sudden increase of damage which can only be done my rockets, grenades

Like you said, for a vehicle recharging its not needed as a vehicle would take damage, and at certain levels of health, bits of the armour are triggered to explode off. In Tribes V it looked at first it was based on which bit you where shooting like in Halo 2 i think, but its not, its just set to come off at certain levels of health.

Anyway, like absolut said it should be considered for Beta 2, as its a unique thing in UT2004 I have not seen yet.

I was thinking more short term such as using the effect for static stuctures like bunkers.

Also I was thinking...

The armour being blown off, its more a kinetic thing. Grenade, or a rocket launcher exploding near by would knock the armour off, but machine gun fire would not have this effect unless something else explosive was triggered, another idea could be to ignore all weapon fire apart from grenades and rocket launchers forget about health, and just have it triggerd when a grenade goes off nearby.

the effect would need to be cheated, in that it ignores hand weapons and only responds to heavy weapons, as trying to do it so it actually reacts to the kinetic energy of a weapon would be very hard, its probably something you can do in HL2, just using the weapons kinetic value to move stuff.

Update:

Ive found a way now by altering the initial state of karma actors to fly into the air once triggerd than fall to ground. This I can use now for when triggering explosions...

However the damage volume I talked about before was wrong, its an event actor with a collision radius which can take damage/has a health value (same thing virtually) However there is no rehealing value after X seconds to use like I wanted. so its only good for stuff which wont have a resulting explosion such as the tree taking damage and then falling would be fine.

But having something like i said before which could only be triggerd after a sudden burst of damage such as from a grenade is not native to unreal and would require some sort of coding.

I think with the new idea where we just ignore weapons fire and only check to see if grenades/rockets explode within its radius is much easier to code, but still its additional code to do.

So i can either:

Look at creating a scripted actor which resets the health value of the actor if not enough damage was caused in X seconds to trigger it.

or just use the health as it is, but would look unrealistic if health reached 1% then 5 minutes later someone came along a fired a single shot to make it reach 0% and trigger the explosion.... :D

U P D A T E

Wee, found it, after going through my UED book and UED script editor found a uncommented value called trigger time.

I set this value to one, so if I understand it correctly, If i do not damage the trigger enough in 1 second it wont trigger. The value is set to 50. So the only way to cause 50 damage in under a second is by the rocket launcher or grenade, and it works :D firing the assualt rifle etc doesnt inflict enough damage in time.

I might use the idea for the armour plating everywhere, so only greandes and rockets can cause the armour on the walls to be knocked off/fall/explode...

U P D A T E 2

Can this post get any bigger? :lol:

Made a quick video

Put two armour plates floating in the air.

The first one i shoot is how it is currently, single shot triggers.

The second one i shoot with assualt rifle to show no effect, throwing grenade however causes it to trigger and fly off.

Of course the physics like the speed etc are not finished so they look a bit odd falling.

The video is in WMV format as none of the mpeg conversions are working on my pc they all expired. the .WMV format took the file from 200mb down to 2.80mb :p

www.planetunreal.com/da/fluxs/wardamage.zip

...Dont you just love the peaceful setting, autumn leaves falling, birds calling and the sound of grenades exploding....

Last edited:

BobTheFish

DA2 Junkie
Sep 2, 2004
FluXs said:
I was refering to the recharging idea for stuff like the armour on the bunker.
That would make more sense. I understand now.

FluXs said:
...Dont you just love the peaceful setting, autumn leaves falling, birds calling and the sound of grenades exploding....
:lol:

Too true.

Video looks awesome, I've only ever been able to drool over screenshots but now there's a video of shooting stuff, and I'm still not disappointed :D

(Although that first plate seems to fall into the ground, what's with that?)

And it's a bit weird that the falling ones don't clang when they hit the ground, is that just because you haven't added the sound effect yet?

Last edited:

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
yeah just the settings, the ones which fly really far into the air (those two examples) will be for an explosion (hence the reason they sorta jump into the air) the idea was, that once I get speed right they will go pretty far and you probably wont see them ever again so it was a type of destroying value where once they intersect with the terrain they are destroyed

Yeah sounds are a bitch, i found an 'impact property' sub option for the karma where you can choose a sound and volume but nothing happens, I think i will have to link it to a scripted sequence which plays a sound file when any armour plate is triggerd

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Are these things going to be interactive, like if a tree falls on me will i die? or explode? or catch fire? (< that would b awexome :p)

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
LOL, I too would like to see a tree falling on someone causing them to catch fire someday.

Anyway, Yes I hope so, but im not sure how atm, as they dont have a crushing attribute, but maybe the force of it hitting you could kill you if I turn it up.