Which genere of maps do you like to play most?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which genere of maps do you like to play most?

• Total voters

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Space(Not low grav), industrial, blah blah, I can't stand theme that's too odd for some reasons.
But hey! Gameplay> Graphic. If the map's fun I won't mind fragging in toilets :p

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Fantasy is just 'plain odd' ... or else it's any of the other styles I'd say.

I prefer maps that manage to stick to a consistent style and best of all is if they show some imagination in the use of the staticmeshes & textures.

Overall the best maps tend to be the ones that manage to convince me that it could have been a 'real' location (that fits the mod/gametype) no matter how unrealistic that location might be (does that make sense ? ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean A_Rimmerlister. I also prefer maps that feel like there is a reason they were made. I voted arena.
Could someone explain the results of this poll to me? I voted once, but other people voted several times. And there are far more than 33 votes up there.

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
A_Rimmerlister said:
Fantasy is just 'plain odd' ... or else it's any of the other styles I'd say.

I prefer maps that manage to stick to a consistent style and best of all is if they show some imagination in the use of the staticmeshes & textures.

Overall the best maps tend to be the ones that manage to convince me that it could have been a 'real' location (that fits the mod/gametype) no matter how unrealistic that location might be (does that make sense ? ;)).

you mean mappers should look at details, and make sure they manage to keep one style
Like the windchimes in DM-china, the broken tiles when they were still original, stuff like that.
I love that, i'd like to have that's babies...

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
<*)_>< said:
you mean mappers should look at details, and make sure they manage to keep one style
Like the windchimes in DM-china, the broken tiles when they were still original, stuff like that.
I love that, i'd like to have that's babies...
Indeed it's small touches like those windchimes or bits of furniture (in buildings), some weird kind of machine (like the generator in Asbestos) that to me lift maps from being just 'ok' to above average.
Those things show the mapper didn't just drop some static meshes in a cubic room to fill it up, but he thought about their role in the room/environment ... and as a result it's better.

So while some people may complain about a few barrels disrupting the 'flow' and getting stuck on them (which never seems to happen to me for some reason), I like them for the atmosphere they add to an otherwise boring bit of hallway.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Natural, with a flavor of industrial. I tend to really like the 'ruins of industry' theme. The problem with natural maps in UT2k3 is that they tend to have a lot of terrain, and I don't like terrain maps for gameplay. :hmm:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
The problem with 'natural maps' is that they tend to have crappy terrain because those maps tend to be 'look ma what I can do'-types. They have terrain because someone found the button in UnrealEd.

It happens with any new feature in maps/editors in editors that are as 'user-friendly' as UnrealEd (whether that be the infamous disco-lights, staticmeshes or stuff like terrain)