Future MOD beta....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
LOOK TO THE FUTURE!!!

Another words its not ready yet :p

Im just setting up a thread for when it is ready and to post some preliminary info :)

First off I need a name :p I saved the .u file 'SRogue'
And was thinking something along the lines of 'Star Rogue' or 'Space Rogue' or something of the likes but I am unsure if it is used :p

Anyways on to Info:
will be futuristic and with HIGH techonlogy....

Two Styles:
Space Battles, and Ground Battles.

Space Battles will take place in Deep Space(duh!) between two SparCarriars, (or maybe even Star Bases...) and the ALL available space in UED will be used for deepspace(except a small portion for the sky zone :p ) There can be TeamDeathMatch or DTB. (thinking Destroy(or disable) the base/carriar have to infiltrate the enemy base and shutdown power... or destroy power, decided by mappers i guess)
(No regular deathMatch for this style as the maps would be FAR to large and would slow Gameplay down WAY to much)
Each base/carriar will carry a dock for the ships, and multiple turrents to control(Bot support is possible and Ive already laid in the ground work) Basicly you go out in the ships and beat the snot out of the enemy or destroy/disable the other base/carriar.
ships will be large. more like battle ships or cruisers....

Ground battles will be like above only on the ground and have smaller vehicles, like fighters or hovertanks, jeeps, ect...
Can have deathmatches between fighters, people, vehicles, or mixed, ect...

The ships and vehicles: I am working on a menu to select the ship's parts, ect. and will have custom models that can mix and match parts according to your specifications
( your every WHIM!! mwa HA HA!!!)

I know in big space based maps it will take a while to get from one end to the other. To fix this there will be a "super drive" system (like warp drive from startrek... only different so I don't get slapped.)
that will allow ships to get there quicker.. plus allow for some interesting battle tactics ^_^

Player can enter the ships. And the ships can move forward.
(done alot haven't i? :rolleyes: :lol: )

Future Features:
Hopefully weaponary on the ship will be visable, and will actualy rotate to face targets ^_^

Sheilding will only be visable where it was struck. so if a ship is cloaked( cloaking! ^_^ ) and not on your sensers ( sensers ^_^ )
you'll no where the attack is comeing from... unless its a remote missle( Remote missile ^_^ )
:lol:

When you destroy a vessle you can 'transport' the debrie aboard and if it wasn't damaged then you can return to base/carriar and outfit it on your ship ^_^ ( /me drools at this particular soon to be feature )

Weapon Types: (by Memory)
missles
torps
beam weaponary ^_^
phase weaponary
Partical Weaponary
Mines ^_^
ummm others too I can't remember... :p
(Im at work :p )

I suppose thats it for now...

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I knew you weren't a n00b Edrik! You haven't asked a single newbie question.... hell, up til this thread, I figured all your questions had to do with some sorta wacky complex dark magic spell.... how's that coming anyway?

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
we have a beta 3 out (finaly :p ) tho it is the first release featureing the new core files, so it may take a little bit to get used to.... Some spells were excluded becuase we wanted the different spell circles to be even, but they'll be returned when new spell are coded to even the total.
The only major bug (IMO :p) is that the refire got fudged, and the bots use there spells like machine guns :D lol basicly if you hold down the fire button the refire works, but if you repeatitly click the fire button refire doesn't work :p
Magus is workin' on that .. lol

and I only said that so anyone who didn't know I wasn't wouldn't get discouraged about its development... :p

(and your words are very kind :D )

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
Map wise:
You know in UED how if you zoom out far enough the grid ends?
Well I intend for space combat to use ALL of the grid. Exept a small area for the skyZone :p
And I intend there to be a "Super Drive" that will be able to traverse the distance quickly in linear bursts... Im not really sure how Im going to do the boundries.... I was thinking of having a Massive Containment grid... like the a big grid to keep out alien invaders ect... like a national border or simething... :p or I could script triggers that would turn you around a send you in the opposite direction :/

I want the ships to be to scale. another words battle ships will be HUGE. fighter smaller, same with vehicles, ect....

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
Well...

I was thinking about the boundrys, don't use a containment grid, with walls pushing you back in, instead make ships do a 180 if they go too far, or something like that(much the same thing, but without visible walls). Could there be small planets and moons which could also have small AI units on them, on all sides?

These distances are gonna make some bad lag!:(

Do large environs make for lots of lag? I don't see how that should follow...
As long as there are only a few actors to keep track of at any one time, why should there be a problem with lag?

When in space, what will the players be fighting in? At first it seemed like you were suggesting capital ships, but after re-reading your post, I realize that this is quite unclear.

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
Hmmm...

I think combat is best in small fighters, of course, with these distances, large battleships would be recomendable.
With the thing about lag, I figured that having to render such a long distance into the background would cause lag, at least, large distances causing rendering problems in Quake, but it didn't really lag much, though, perhaps it wouldn't. I'm not sure how a fake backdrop would effect that.

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
make ships do a 180 if they go too far
________
I was thinking this would be the best bet.

Planets With AI? you mean like Planetary Defense Cannons? That be cool :) good idea

I don't know how it is in Quake but in UT it only matters about Polys and Nodes, and lighting.
Space == light lighting Space == one big cude basicly so low polys
the only thing might be the Actors, because MOST of the actors would be visable.

I was thinking to different types :
Space battles would be exlusivly for BattleShips and indipendant fighters (Fighters with "Super Speed Engines" )
and then there would be ground battles that would be smaller but will have all vehicles/ships EXCLUDING BattleShips...

/EDIT
oh and I am exporting and recompiling everything to see if it will fix my little 'Native' error... if not Ill just copy paste everything into a new .u file and see if that works...

How will you handle a battleship's multiple turrets? (A battleship isn't a battleship without multiple turrets. I was so cheesed off when I found out that the StarCraft battlecruiser could only shoot at one thing) Maybe a lockon-type thingie where you give each turret a target that it will do its best to kill, like an AI controlled lock-on system. That way you wouldn't have to somehow control multiple turrets simultaneously while still controlling the ship.

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by WheatPuppet
How will you handle a battleship's multiple turrets? (A battleship isn't a battleship without multiple turrets. I was so cheesed off when I found out that the StarCraft battlecruiser could only shoot at one thing) Maybe a lockon-type thingie where you give each turret a target that it will do its best to kill, like an AI controlled lock-on system. That way you wouldn't have to somehow control multiple turrets simultaneously while still controlling the ship.

I was going to have a sort of Auto/Manual combination.

Each weapon is going to be placed on the ship in a specific area and with a specific starting direction. and will only be able to fire within its cone of fire. (fighter weaponary will have narrow cones while battleship will have a lot of wide cones) and as long as the target your looking at is within the cone of fire the weapon will fire at it. any weapon not able to fire at you target will actively search for enemies that are within its cone of fire, and within range. Im also thinking of setting it up so players can control some of the weaponary and switch between the different weaponary(Only in BattleShips tho, as fighter would only have one passanger in general).

NOW! even tho these weapons will search out and look for enemies and even aim for them they will not fire unless you click the fire button. that way you can charge weapons up or setup ambushes ect. plus it would just be lame to let the AI fire for you the game would get boring VERY quickly....

/EDIT
Oh I forgot, in fighters the turning will be fast and becuase the cones are narrow you will need to get the ship facing the atrget BUT battleships will have a new navigation type there will be a destination button and you will face where you want to go then click the dest. button and it will go there leaving you free to look around and target things....

Last edited:

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
AIRBORN!!!!!

Update:
I have overcome the Native error crap, and have started coding again.

and... I'm AIRBORN! yeah! I still need to work out collision tho :p

but Ill work on that tonite and hopefully be able to move onto Physics then systems... like weaponary, sheilds, devices, ect

for Physics Im going to have two Zone Infos:
Atmospheric, and Space. In Space the Ships will slide when turning, and in an Atmospheric Zone ships vehicls will be effected by gravity(even fighters, infact if the fighters reduce their speed too much in an Atmos Zone they will fall).