Virtual memory....again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cyrus

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Hey, Everytime I try to play on CTF: Niven it gives me a critical error that theres not enough virtual memory in my primary drive C: . WTF? I've got over 2 GB there! So I upped the cache size from 4 to 16....Still no change! So I got rid of some programs running in the background and got 94% resources free....STILL NO CHANGE!!!
I set min to 150 and max to 600, nothing happened. I even have the LATEST drivers but (again) still no change. *Begins to cry* I even reinstalled it 2 or 3 times but the problems STILL there /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I also have a problem while playing on Dom: Sesmar and the textures, polys and picture is all over the place. Theres constant flickering in Sesmar and it makes that un playyable too /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Help guys your my ONLY hope.
And I can't finish UT because of these problems /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

My Specs are: Viper 550 TNT , 3.53 Detonator Driver, P II 350 mhz, SB live sound card. 2.93 GB on C Drive.

Cyrus

Bugsy

Nov 10, 1999
North Richland Hills, TX
Visit site
Virtual memory has nothing to do with UT's cache or your system resources "ram". It is the amount of hard drive space windows uses as temporary storage.

To set: right click "My Computer", Goto properties, Select the performance tab, select "Virtual Memory"

I recommend you select "Let me specify..." Then set the min and max to the same value specified in Mb. Mine is set at 320 and I've had no problems.

You can let windows manage this, but it will increase and decrease it's size on the fly which can cause your system to pause as the hard drive seems to thrash for several seconds. Very inconvenient during a DM

Good Luck!

live long, and have fun

[This message has been edited by Bugsy (edited 12-10-1999).]

SSSHAD

Dec 8, 1999
Sydney, NSW, Austr.
Planet Quake tweaks say that it's good to set your Vir.Mem.(min&max) for the double size of RAM you've got - my system has 64, so VM is 128Mb (if i caculated correctly /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)

Cyrus

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Bugsy: I tried that too. I set it max: 320 min: 320 and STILL I have the same problems /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I've got 128 MB ram so I'll change my Virtual Mem, Min and Max to 256 tonight. I'll let you know if it worked on my system /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Cyrus

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I've tried 256 also...didn't work /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Heres more specs:

S7 motherboard AMD K2 350
TVG
2 MB Cache
AGPx2

Viper 550 TNT

I DESPERATELY NEED HELP!
If I or any OF YOU cannot solve this I'll have to be forced to return UT and buy Q3 instead /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Cyrus and others, there's no real need to have an upper limit on your windows swap file (aka virtual memory). It is probably good to have a lower limit, only if the swap file is in one contiguous section of your hard drive. If you use Norton system Works, the speed disk optimizer actually can move the swap file to the beginning of your hard drive (I guess that's better).

If you don't have Norton, then first you must disable virtual memory. Reboot and run defrag. Afterwards, specify a minimum of say 256meg, and no maximum. Reboot again. Now windows will create the swap file as one large area of your HD. As your game plays, it will use up the HD space that is assigned as the minimum, then if it needs more, windows can use other space on your HD.

Cyrus

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
HuFlungDung, I haven't got Norton and I tried what you said to, like set my min to 256 and none for max but it won't let me set my max smaller than my min, if you know what I mean /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Not playing UT SUCKS! Aw I've only got a few days left to be able to return it for Q3 Arena. So do you guys think I should keep UT and try to fix this majour problem with your help or return it for Q3?

Cyrus

Help! /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

GRaVeDiGGeR

Dec 12, 1999
Visit site
if you want an extension on ur time for this game, why not return it, then buy it again at another store. haha. just a suggestion, until you figure out what's wrong, i hope you get it figured out.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Sorry, Cyrus, I meant by setting no upper limit that you'll allow windows to use the rest of your HD space. Usually there is a large number in that box by default, and it IS the rest of the space on your hard drive, not none.

Cyrus

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I set my min to "256MB" and max to "No Maximum" and it still has that problem /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Help?!

Should I send my log files to Epic or something?

Cyrus <--- Is a thick *************

I can't play or finish UT /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif
This game has been the BIGGEST hassle I've ever gone through...It might be just easier to ditch UT and get Q3 and HL instead. Still gotta have hope right?

Bugsy

Nov 10, 1999
North Richland Hills, TX
Visit site
Well... you've probably tried everything by now, but just in case, have you killed most everthing from your task bar to free up system resources? I have 94% free right after boot up. If you press cntr-alt-del you should only see "Explorer" and "Systray" running unless you have some special driver requirements such as the Logitech wheel mouse. Alot of that other crap that builds up on your task bar is just that. You can kill them usually by right clicking them and then end them. But, they'll be back the next time you reboot unless you either uncheck the task bar option in their applets, or by running "msconfig" and uncheck them from the "startup" tab.

Sorry for the long mesg. Hope you can get it fixed.

Corpse Grinder

Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
I have the same problem! When I run it in single-user mode and get to the 3rd map, I get the "Ran out of virtual memory" error. This happens every single time. I have done it all defrag, manual set virtual mem min250 max 250. I have 96MB and 1GB free on my primary disk.

This really sucks. I do not know what to do. Maybe I should have stuck with Quake and bought Q3 instead.

Let me know if you guys find anything. I really want to play this!

PII 266
96 MB
ATI Rage Pro AGP

Corpse Grinder

Asswipe!!

Dec 14, 1999
Visit site
Try Doing a Fresh Clean Reinstallment of Windows.

If everything else fails im sure it will help!

Try it if you cant get anything else to work..

Reinstalling will work... Trust me...

Corpse Grinder

Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
I guess it is time huh ? I used to format my disk once or twice a week, but I have grown out of that phase.

I love to download all my stuff again with 56K modem!

Other option... Install Linux and try it ?

Corpse Grinder

LintGod

Dec 16, 1999
Visit site
Well Well Well, you boyz sure sound like youve got a problem. sounds like its actually a Win Os error. Probably this might help,

First, sys specs.
amdk62 300/66 fsb
voodoo3 2000
sblive value
dx7
2.2 gb hdd
= 40 fps on med detail with all hardware enabled.

One thing that I would do If I were you is to be sure not to have program manager running, that bastard sux resources like a bitch, second, turn off Scrn Svrs, turn off power management, and leave your freakin virtual mem settings to 150mb min 200 mx; that's all you really need anyway. hope it helps for you. I had this game running sweet even on my old p166mmx chip b4 I upgraded to a amdk62! peace!

p.s. - if you have 2 hard drives install the dam thing on the second drive and make your first one cache only, it's a big improvement.

Corpse Grinder

Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
Well, after several emails with gti support, we couldn't figure it out. I was able to install and run it on my P166/win98 machine just fine. I guess it was something bogus with windoze. After a clean install, it worked fine. To bad it had to come down to that. Oh well, from the looks of it, I'm glad I did it because this game is sweet!

Thanks for your help.

Dayv

I dont know if this will help any but if you make a seperate partition for your swap file It helps it from getting fragmented. If your swap file is getting fragmented that might screw things up. Just a guess though. You can use Partition Magic to make a partition without having to reformat your drive. You might want to see if there is a shareware version you can download go here www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/index.html