Vic Viper and Lord British interest?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
No, not the ZOE Vic Viper, and not that stupid Ultima Online "Lord British". I'm talking about Gradius here, people. the two greatest ships ever created, who've survived 20 years in the gaming world and stood the test of time. even when the "hip" thing was to move all games to 3D gameplay, even if it meant screwing up the old formula.

Well ya know, I wouldn't mind seeing these two great ships in UT2K4
Now I can model these two by myself, but I want to know if there is enough interest in this to get some help with the other parts of a small project like this.
Anyone?

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
The fact that no one even knows that the Lord British even exists makes the difference.

even though it won't actually matter, since I'm going to make the models whether anyone likes it or not, here is a site with ref pictures of both ships.

Last edited:

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
course no one knows lord british exists, it only even figures into gameplay if you have a friend. It looks nearly identical to the vic viper, and doesn't figure into the storyline of the gradius games at all.

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
It doesn't look like the Vic Viper, if you noticed.
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4192/salamanderdeluxepackplussala23.jpg
Tell me, exactly HOW does a ship that looks close to an F-22 Raptor be confused with a ship that has a dual pointed front?
Also, it DOES figure into the gameplay quite a few times. any of the Gradius games that have a "select ship" mode (I don't mean "select loadout") has shown the red wonder. also, it makes plenty of showings in the Parodius games

Last edited:

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Red team skin sorted already.

Are these gonna be alternatives to UT2004's spacefighters or to the Raptor and Cicada (and the dictation to their control)?

The Vic Viper does look like a streamlined (and thus better) Human Fighter.

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
aren't the starfighters used in only, what, 2 maps?

But I suppose it would fit best to have them replace the starfighters, seeing as both of the ships are never seen in an atmospheric setting, only in space with blobby monsters and machines.

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9590/vv21ik.png
yeah, about half way done with the rough model of Vic Viper, no pun intended. I cut the model in half so all I have to do when I'm done is mirror everything and it should be fine.
And do I need to add a crapload of poly-details just so it won't look low detailed, or should I leave the detail work to the texture? (I understand that bump-mapping and normal-mapping can make things better, right?) Because I know some asses are going to go nuts if I make it a simply functional model. (IE low-poly.)

Omega_Boost

Apr 20, 2005
Gungriffon Geona said:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9590/vv21ik.png
yeah, about half way done with the rough model of Vic Viper, no pun intended. I cut the model in half so all I have to do when I'm done is mirror everything and it should be fine.
And do I need to add a crapload of poly-details just so it won't look low detailed, or should I leave the detail work to the texture? (I understand that bump-mapping and normal-mapping can make things better, right?) Because I know some asses are going to go nuts if I make it a simply functional model. (IE low-poly.)

Holy cow, its looking nice! Your my hero, you realize that? XD
Oh, and I certainly know much about the Lord British (Piloted by the person with the same name), personal best is the Salamander 1 Lord British. But of course, the Vic Viper pwns everything else. :lol:

Gungriffon Geona

fartdongs
Sep 25, 2005
CheapAlert said:
what are you using, milkshape!? heh

Dear God no. I've been using Wings 3D, since it has the simplest interface I've ever used, and it's very good for freeware. I will however try and bring it over to another more usable format (3DS or OBJ) when I get done. The program makes building Low-Poly models a breeze.
However, the VV is a pure and utter annoyance, as the ref pics of it are almost all different in some way.