Here's an example of a moron for you...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Yeah, the 50bmg is a chambered round though, so nothing other than semi-auto I think... which is a good thing.

Last edited:

RavenStarSinger

I can make you die laughing or just shoot you
May 30, 2001
On the grassy knoll . . .
Visit site
OH NO! HERE IT COMES AGAIN!

/me becomes Pyle
"Seven point six two millimeter. Full. Metal. Jacket."
/me becomes Raven again.

Ok, just so I don't think I've become a complete idiot, but last I checked, caliber is the size of a rounds diameter in hundredths of an inch. a .50 caliber bullet is a half-inch in diameter, .45 is five-hundredths short of half-inch, etc etc. The length is not determined by caliber, but rather by names or other markings (ie .30-06 or .30-30, each is .30 caliber, but have a different casing length and shape) or in the case of .45 you have .45 ACP and .45 Navy. Sound right?

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
heh, In school a few days ago I heard some kids talking about the M16, apparently it's a .308 sniper rifle that can shoot in semi-burst :con: I do think people are getting dumber.....

RavenStarSinger

I can make you die laughing or just shoot you
May 30, 2001
On the grassy knoll . . .
Visit site
Think that's bad. . .

I have a friend of mine that knows NOTHING about guns, but talks like he's some kinda guru.

He claims that the best sniper rifle ever was a .223 with a 20x sniper scope.
He claims he's fired a machine gun in .29
He ALSO claims to have fired a bolt-action M1 garand rifle. Apparantly, it was .50. No specifics as to which .50 cartridge, just that it was .50 (could have sworn it was either .30-06 or .30-30)
Says that the M16 is a full-auto .50, also.
Thinks that a .50 DE fires the same round as any .50BMG rifle.
SWEARS that he has a CARTRIDGE rifle in .54 (I own a TC Black Diamond muzzle loader in .54, but they don't sell catridges in that caliber)
Also swears that you can mount a grenade launcer on ANY rifle.
Claims that carbines are more accurate than long-rifles (where the HELL did he get that one??)
Doesn't believe that the AVERAGE shotgun is smooth-bore. You CAN get a rifled barrel just for slugs, but most come with a smooth-bore barrel for using shot, too.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Wow. I always wonder where they get the feeling that they can speak with such authority. I would have thought they would only have some of the more common misconceptions perpetuated by the movies, especially with the ease of finding relatively accurate information on the Internet. But instead, they seem to be far worse. Is there some kind of "Jed's Weaponry for Dummies" site out there that spills out this nonsense?

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Don't know of a Dummies book...

...but any 200-word encyclopedia blurb would explain the basics of a firearm well enough.

But then most of these kids probably don't even have one of THOSE.

I personally can't really blame them... these days it's so completely politically incorrect to discuss firearms that all those neo-liberal prudes would rather just shield all possible information from their children and have them live in complete, blissful ignorance... they tried that with sex and look where THAT got them...

As for .50 full-auto... maybe if you could make such a weapon and then fitted the rifleman with some really well-oiled inline skates and deployed the getup as an emergency transport mechanism... (and thus I've finally managed to find a firearms-related invention to out-stupefy the "gunchuks" that came to me in a half-dream as I overslept this morning...)

Trak

Rampant Suicide Machine
Mar 19, 2001
Nashville
www.uglymachine.com
Heh, there is a .50 cal full auto. It's called the M2 machine gun. They are usually vehicle mounted or set up in stationary machine gun nests. They were developed around WWII and are still in service today. But a .50 automatic rifle? That's just stupid...

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Yes, I'm aware of the machine gun... although a month ago I probably would still be wondering why a recording company (BMG) manufactures ammunition...

Many people get horribly confused the terms "assault rifle" and "machine gun," which, combined with hermetic combinations of letters and numbers usually assigned to weapon models whose histories and backgrounds your average joe blow knows nothing about might explain the constant abuse of most people's conceptions of what an "m16" is...

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
FA is probably right about kids being shielded from all gun knowledge. Their parents, who actually voted for the moronic gun laws that we currently have, obviously have no idea about guns except that they're bad, bad, BAD

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"As for .50 full-auto... maybe if you could make such a weapon and then fitted the rifleman with some really well-oiled inline skates and deployed the getup as an emergency transport mechanism."

ROFLMAO :D

"Is there some kind of "Jed's Weaponry for Dummies" site out there that spills out this nonsense?"

Maybe. *chough*CS forum*chough* :D Don't take my word for it, it's just a guess

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
The M40A1, M16A2, M4Ax and all other standard US Army rifles are .700 Nitro weapons.

Idiots. :D

I like the fact that this guy calling himself UNsuckS is probably the child of a soccer family.

He ALSO claims to have fired a bolt-action M1 garand rifle. Apparantly, it was .50. No specifics as to which .50 cartridge, just that it was .50 (could have sworn it was either .30-06 or .30-30)

Its .30-06, same as the M1903A4 sniper rifle of the era.

Do you know about the Steyr AUG missile launcher!!!!!!!!!11 It roxxores, I want one@

Heres a conversation I once had about that case study in evil weaponry.

Idiot: The AUG (say "ahwg" becasue he's a moron and doesn't realise its an acronym for "Armee Universal Gewher") is the greatest gun ever made!
Me: Are you joking?
I: No, its a great gun.
M: What makes you say that?
I: It looks cool!
M: That it?
I: And its got a scope!
M: Yeah, and it's got a piss-poor excuse for backup sights.
I: Its a pupbull! (Yeah, he said that)
M: Bullpup, its called a "bullpup" layout. That doesn't make it a good weapon, though.
I: Yeah it does! It makes it small!
M: And anyone who understands basic physics knows that small means stronger recoil, unless it's heavy, which the AUG isn't.
I: So what! It's ergonomic.
M: You're ergomoronic. The only ergonomics it has is a moulded foregrip, which is evil, since it's a downward.
I: You're an idiot! What gun would you have instead? Huh? An AK?
M: Yeah, an AK101.
I: BUT IT ONLY COSTS $2500 AMERICAN! THE AUG COSTS $3500!!! IT HAS TO BE BETTER!
M: Goodbye.

Guess where this took place.... thats right.. after a lan game of CS. :rolleyes:

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Playing CS doesn't make you stupid anymore than playing Infiltration makes you smart.

Case and point.
I have a friend who is intelligent and fairly knowledgable about firearms (most of it coming from him being in the Reserves). Yet he's a die hard CS fan.
On an Infiltration server a few weeks ago I had an interesting discussion with someone that was absolutely, positively sure that looking through a scope allowed you to make more refined muscle movements.

Being stupid makes you stupid. Nothing more, nothing less.