S3TC + OpenGL = Can't Move??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
I know this was asked before but I don't remember seeing a solution, if there was one.

I recently formatted my puter and got everything reinstalled. I did this mainly for performance reason since I hadn't formatted since July and had upgraded my mobo, cpu, and video card since then. :D

Anyway, I just installed the latest drivers .7103 for my Radeon All In Wonder. It IS fast! Not only that but I saw on the Unreal Tech Page that they have reworked the opengl.dll for UT. So I went ahead and put that on as well. It's EVEN better! It IS a little buggy. You can't go into windowed mode or use alt-esc, alt-tab, alt-enter, or even type preferences in the console, as all these things will crash it. However when it IS running(which is anytime aside from the above) it runs fast and looks really nice. Not only that but they enable the ability to use the S3TC textures along with OpenGL. I tried these and there was absolutely NO slow down. And anyone that's seen these textures KNOWS they look really nice.

Here's where my problem comes in. On certain servers when I'm using the S3TC textures I log in and I can't move(AT ALL). I can talk but I can't do anything else. If I switch back to the old textures(I made two directories) everything works fine. I KNOW it's a texture problem with the S3TC. What I DON'T know is how to fix it. I know this problem has been seen before just wondering if anyone knows exactly what causes it(patch 4.36? , CSHP?...) and how to fix it. I'd really like to play with S3TC on just cause it looks so nice.

Ah well, thanks. ;)

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
dont the textures add life to your UT!!!?

I havent had any online difficulties yet but maybe we can assume that the server you logged onto doesn't have the texture pack installed?

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
also, the dead players end up just standing still...upright. When I was playing with the textures, I'd spend a lot of time fragging dead bodies. It made it unplayable online for me.

It is the server's settings which caused my problems (skating/standing dead). But I've never been stuck without being able to move... :/

I'm going to have to try them online again. I found it was laggy online for me so I just use the no-texture edition of UT I have installed. (I have two UT prog's installed, one with and one without the textures.)

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
LOL. You don't have to do a whole UT install just to have the S3TC textures. I mean I don't care about wasting space I've got plenty of it, but that's just blatent wasting. :D

All you have to do is make two texture directories. Name one Highres. When you want to use the S3TC just rename the current texture directory to something else, rename the highres directory to textures and then enable S3TC.

I've seen the sliding before. That's a texture problem also but is not S3TC specific as I've seen it before I ever used any S3TC textures.

I HAVE seen players complain before about not being able to move when joining certain servers(mainly my local Road Runner servers). I never took much of it and told them to reinstall UT. I know NOW that it IS a texture problem as well. Once I removed the S3TC and went back to regular textures I was able to play on that server fine. I could play on some servers fine with S3TC on but not my favorite server. I know WHAT causes the issue, but I don't know how to FIX it :(

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
hehe

I got about 35 gigs of hard drive space, so I don't care about wasting it.

Besides, I'm too damn lazy to switch the textures AND the ut.ini files before I gotta play. I just wanna click and go as soon as it's booted up for me :)