Pub & Private Servers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mobace

rimmerlike :(
Just curious... I came to the UT scene just last September so didnt see how things evolved when UT was released in terms of the availability of servers. Do well run, fast servers usually popup fast with plenty available or does it take a fair amount of time for a game to be established. Will UT servers be able to be converted over to UT2 fairly easily?

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Well in my experience the first 1-3 days is a pain in the ass cause everyone and his mother with 56k and p2 266 wants to run a server but after that it usually gets better.

I guess most of the UT servers will run UT2 servers but some will still stick to UT. (theres still U servers out there ;))

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I don't ever remember having a problem with finding a server for UT. Even in the first few days.

One advantage was that the Demo had been out for several weeks and had already shown a tremendous following. People were excited about UT's release, and people were already playing the demo online.

I don't think there will be problems finding decent servers for UT2, given UT's strong following. But I do wonder how U2/UT2 and the remaining few UT servers will all be supported as phenomenally as UT has been.

Then again, all it would take would be a third of the HL servers to support them all. ;)

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Usually the big rush on servers happens when a free DEMO/TEST gets released before the game, because then thousands of people get their hands on the software for the first time within a few hours and it takes a bit until decent server are being set up that can handle the load.

When the FULL GAME gets released the number of people who get their hands on it usually increases gradually over a week or so. That's because distribution of the CDs via retailers is much slower than a free download.

I trust that there will be lots of U2/UT2 servers available from the first day, because UT has such a large and active community and lots of server admins standing by, ready to switch over.

The worst I've seen by now was with the RtCW MP test. 99% of the servers were full all the time. The only ones not full were passworded. With the crappy in-game server browser and a computer that connects as slow as mine, it was a pain in the ass to find a server. Usually took me many attempts. Whenever I found a server with an open slot somebody else took it before I could connect.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
UT2 will be running on our server by later afternoon the day of release (God Willing). You can all join there. Well...about 10 of you can if the Bandwidth requirements arent any heftier than UT's.

If the net code is the same though, it shouldnt be.

Bryan

Mar 10, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by Tetris L
Hey Bry, that must be you. Typing fast and giving a damn about spelling, as usual. ;)

lol as always in too much of a rush to type slowly. And yea its me Bry is already taken :(

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Lo Bry (didnt get the connection) keep them servers clean and well oiled you hear? ;)

Edit: Ops :D

I guess you too will hang on the OS for the final trailer tonight :)

Last edited:

Bryan

Mar 10, 2002
Visit site
ok m8 will do :p
and

absolutely not, ive seen enough traielrs they spoil the film imo, im
staying spoiler free for this one. (ITS VERY HARD)