ping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The only thing that will affect your ping is your connection.

They are probably using a cable modem or dsl. 130 or so with ISDN is pretty good. I used to have a dual line ISDN and that was the best i managed with it.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Uhmmm...

Your ping will ALWAYS be different than your friends. Nothing you can do about that. Your higher ping could be a result of a bunch of different factors, not limited to but including how many hops it takes for you to hit the server, where the server is located, etc.

130 is pretty decent ping, if you were playing at 250+ then I would do some checking into your isp or something to find out why you are pinging badly everywhere.

Otherwise, you're good to go. Now play UT and enjoy it! :)

-I_AM{skullface}

the~oreca

Retired.
Jul 10, 2000
NB, Canada
Here's a little expample:
Me and my friend live pretty close, like a street away and on The Web we get about a ping of 300, some games I'll have like 320 and he'll have 300 and vice versa.
Strange thing is that every game I play with people from PuF i get a bad ping but on the servers I usually play in I get under 100 :hmm:

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Did someone say ping?

Lpb.jpg

^^ 1337 56K 0wN4g3 :)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
That changes the netspeed. Open the console and type "netspeed 4000". That's usual for ISDN. Try 3000 and 4000 and see how it affects your ping and packetloss (F6). Don't set it too high or you will increase your packetloss as your connection can't handle the incoming traffic. But the lower you set it, the higher your ping will get.
This options in the networking menu just change netspeed in rough steps.

And I already got 90 with single line ISDN :p

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
It is wise to resize pictures as they are unneccessarily big to download. You see the same details on a 800*600 pic than 1024*768 :rolleyes:

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
8-4, whatever the resolution you use, the image isn't downloaded across the net.

In fact, the performance loss or gain has nothing to do with network speed, but in how quickly your computer can draw the information (which is the same, regardless of the size) while simultaneously handling the networking aspects.

Super Feen

probably not a skrull
Jun 23, 2001
Erection Cove
LordKhaine + 56k modem = Ping 118 WTF! I can barely manage a ping below 400:(

Question:
Is it the type of modem or some crazy tweeking that made that possible?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
What type of modem do you have? You need a hardware modem for that. Software modem like a winmodem drain to much CPU power, especially in UT