yet another ping question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
aight. y'all are probably sick and tired of punks like me asking why their pings sucks SO hard. sorry. but...my friend...wanted me to ask you guys for any kind of help possible. this is a major thing for my friend man! LIFE OR DEATH!! (not really hehe)
i...er...my pal has a Pentium II 350 mhz with 64 MB ram...not sure if it is SDRAM (ro what that is exactly)...and a 56k WINmodem. <shudder> i think the WINmodem is the problem, though my dad adamantly refutes any and all claims that the modem is a WINmodem...<muttering angrily>...oh yeah, here's a kick in the butt, my Dial-up ISP is earthlink. I'm thinkin that that is a major problem too. but whenever i query the master servers on UT, i'll find a server with a ping of maybe 250, and when i go in, my ping jumps to the thousands. literally. not 10 minutes ago my ping broke the 8k mark. I'm suffering here fellas. please Please PLEASE give me some input on whther i can remedy this problem without going DSL or Cable, or if i'm SOL with a dad too cheap to do anything but stay with "good" ol' "reliable" <cough, hack> Earthlink. thanks for your time and any input to this UT newbie.

------------------
"Hmm...i wonder what this button does professor?"
"NO DEAR LORD BILLY! DON'T PUSH THAT--"
<nuclear holocaust ensues>

thanks guys!! whoa man i've been sittin here frantically pressing refresh to see if i got any replies! (obsessive, ain't i?) now i know what my dad felt like, waiting for me to pop outta the womb!! (suggestion: don't think about that picture too much...it's rather icky)
in response to RW: will the tweaks do anything to affect my internet surfing in a bad way, or help that be faster too?
in response to HuFlungDung: ...god i'm a smarty. thanks a bunch i think i must have overlooked that! where do i fix that in the game? under options then preferences, then what? i'll look around in there.

anyhoo, thanks a bunch guys for helpin me out, i'll be puttin out more posts...real soon to keep y'all updated on my success and/or failure...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

bullet2.gif

"Hmm...i wonder what this button does professor?"
"NO DEAR LORD BILLY! DON'T PUSH THAT--"
<nuclear holocaust ensues>

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
Hey Chaodoom, I had Earthlink awhile back. It wasn't to bad but I found that if I set my modem connection speed to 33600 in the modem configuration my ping was way better then if I set it to 57600 or 115200. Whenever I put it higher then that the ping went into the thousands. It was about a year ago so maybe their better now but it helped at the time. This was even after the modem tweaks too.

Grizlor

Dec 25, 1999
CA
when i used the tweak3d site, it helped my ping go way down (from 500 to about 250). i suggest you follow it cause it's been around for a long time and works ...i'm pretty sure tweak3d revised it (every time a little bit better) a couple times...i just don't remeber how many.

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
I have a us robotics winmodem. It is not the best but I do ping my isp at 125ms I am happy with my winmodem. To find out if it is a win modem does it work in dos?? Ping your isp....What do you come up with?? I bought a backup modem for 5 dollars (yes 5 dollars)56K though...It pinged my isp at 225ms so i am sure my us robotics winmodem is not to bad. I have heard that earthlink is not the best for an isp look for a local isp. Ask them if you can have an ip address to ping them and see if its better for gaming than a national isp.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
[OF]Candyman, I used to have a USR winmodem, a 33.6K, and it worked fine in windows 95. I never felt like I was suffering any lag because of it. But, I'll be darned if I could get that same modem to work under windows 98! It just wouldn't recognize it. So, I took it and set it up again on a friend's older machine with Win 95 and it was fine. What experience have you had in this regard?