Well its been an interesting 12 hours...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
just got home. i went out last night and on the way home was attacked. it ****ing sucks. i have a broken finger, bruises all over my back. and the mother of all headaches. ive also spent all night in hospitals and police stations. dont really know why im posting it here. i guess i just need some whre to let off steam.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
You were attacked? How? Why? Sounds horrible :( Guess living in a country where violence is usually only in homes or drunks in bars makes that all sound awfull.

//Kee

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I got beaten down pretty badly four years ago by some gang of kids and I know what it feels to be totally helpless. I wasn't as lucky as you and I ended up spending over a month in a hospital recovering from my injuries and I still carry the scars from that night. Starting Krav Maga and working out helped me over the feeling of helplessness and I promised myself I wouldn't have to feel that way ever again.

Take care and get better..

sandworm

[UMC] E-something
Mar 8, 2000
under a napkin
Visit site
kavoN said:
I got beaten down pretty badly four years ago by some gang of kids and I know what it feels to be totally helpless. I wasn't as lucky as you and I ended up spending over a month in a hospital recovering from my injuries and I still carry the scars from that night. Starting Krav Maga and working out helped me over the feeling of helplessness and I promised myself I wouldn't have to feel that way ever again.

Take care and get better..

Been in plenty of situations when I was in my teens where I was pushed around for no reason. Actually recently, I almost had to use a knife on a group of people who looked like they were going to jump me in a dark street. Thankfully, they backed off when I ducked into a subway. They were probably just teenagers anyway. Where are you training kavon? I've started in NY about a year and a half ago and recently moved to the philly area and am continuing here.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I belong to a club called Prime Fighters in Helsinki, Finland. I've been a member for 3½ years now and I'm currently at E1 level.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Feel better, Bobby. I had a broken toe earlier this year, but it was because a UPS conveyer belt attacked me with the help of the dumb negro who was operating it. WTF can Brown do for you?

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
kavoN said:
I got beaten down pretty badly four years ago by some gang of kids and I know what it feels to be totally helpless. I wasn't as lucky as you and I ended up spending over a month in a hospital recovering from my injuries and I still carry the scars from that night.

around here i dont think Ive ever even seen a "gang of kids", most "gangs" I've seen are really just a bunch of pretty cool kids partying, with music and drinks at a house, and not looking for trouble.

street crime is usually 1-2 black males with 0-1 handguns.

is gang crime a big deal over there?

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
Lt. said:
around here i dont think Ive ever even seen a "gang of kids", most "gangs" I've seen are really just a bunch of pretty cool kids partying, with music and drinks at a house, and not looking for trouble.

I saw an old lady robbing a bank once. She was kind of bummed out when she learned the Girl Scouts had already cleaned the place out ten minutes beforehand.

So yeah, crime is pretty mild here in California.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Knives are my biggest concern, particularly as the majority of the time people get stabbed, they didn't even realise it until they looked down and saw the blood coming out.

People have told me that doing whatever they ask will save you all the time. Bullshit. I probably wouldn't resist at all, unless I felt that they didn't care what I did, I would be stabbed people have cooperated fully and still ended up dead. A while ago, a station service attendent was held up at knife-point here. He handed over the cash (this was all captured on the security camera), did not make any moves or attempts to resist whatsoever and what happened? He was stabbed to death after the robber got the money. This all occured in under a minute.

Anyway, there's a Krav Maga (no Sydney classes held here yet) knife defense workshop being held here this Saturday, which I'll be attending. If KM classes start here, I will give those a go, as well as seeing about Kali, which is Filipino and focuses on teaching you how to use sticks and knives, as well as empty hand defenses against them.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Kali is sick, IMO. Meh, go for aikido. Best choice for good people.
Over here no one commits robberies or something small like that with a pistol, so the biggest weapon you can expect is a knife. I am confident in my speed I would run away if I were alone. If there were more people than just me though I would tell them to get a headstart while I would keep the robber busy. I would never try to attack him, because I am not so confident of my fighting skills. I wouldn't try to grab a knife, although I usually have a few on me as it couldn't possibly improve my situation.

I am sorry about this bob, those chavs your country has deserves the worst punishment for being what they are. Maybe, if there is a next time, you will be lucky enough to spot the danger a bit earlier and manage to escape.

The only time I experienced such violence was when I was riding back from a party on my bike (dutch ways of transport :)), I was with 2 mates and one of them got punched by someone coming from the oposite direction. Right after the punch the attacker escaped while me and my other mate were trying to figure out what happend. By the time we discovered my mate got attacked, the guy was long gone. So we took him to a hospital where his wound got closed. He was bleeding pretty bad but it was nothing serious. Just a ****ty place to get hit. If the same thing would have happend while we would be walking, then I don't know what I would have done. Since obviously I would find out what happend earlier.

Anyway, aikido or jiu jitsu should prove enough training to handle a single attacker. Long enough to run away that is.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Lt. said:

I wouldn't say it's a problem. I was walking through a shady part of the town in the middle of the night and I walk past these young (17-18 years old) guys who tell me to stop. I ignore them and keep walking when suddenly one of them throws an empty bottle to the back of my head and I fall down. From there on out everythings a little fuzzy and I just lie there until an ambulance arrives. I guess they were just looking for money for drugs or something. When the judge asked them why they attacked me in court they just said I looked like I had money and that's it.

/me shrugs

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Most highly informed people (as in, survived attacks by knives and been in countless street fights) I've spoken to highly recommend Kali and its various offshoots for knife defense. I certainly plan on running away if I'm involved, but if a friend is involved or I have nowhere to run, I'd rather be at least partly prepared for it.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
I remember getting a kicking and just before they started I asked the biggest guy, "why?"

he replied "Cos I enjoy it!!!!"....

...not much room for discussion, argument or pleading there really...I mean you could try the "No you don't!", line but I doubt you'd get anywhere....as closely as I recall my witty response was...."Oh ****!"

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Only been in a fight once on the street. Was kinda funny. I seldom was out downtown when young (did a lot of sports etc, just no time) so when I finally got to the local disco (we only had like one in town...yeah, I'm from a small place :) ) with a couple of friends, some perps started to question where I was from etc. They though I was from the neighbouring town or something. Out of the blue, someone threw a fist in my face at which point I decided it wasn't a place I wanted to be at and started to walk away..
One guy apparently wasn't satisfied with that and caught me after some 100 meters or so and grabbed me from the behind. (I just wasn't paying attention I guess).
It was pretty quick fight, I threw the guy around a couple of times, used my hip to lift him up and droped him down, but he just kept on coming. We ended up in some sort of standstill, arms locked and the bastard managed to kick me in the head a couple of times..(I did get my hand in front of the kicks thou). Pissed me off pretty well and I almost threw the guy through a nearby window. Finally we ended up on the ground, me on top, about to beat this guys head in the concreate when I realized it ain't worth it and left him there. Never had problems with anyone after that althou I was very jumpy for the next month or so. Apparently the guy who attacked me was a local lunatic, who once was found walking the main street with a shotgun etc. Last I heard from him was when he had gutted some gypsie and ended up doing some jailtime.

Still, I consider Finland a pretty safe place to live in (Helsinki seems quite worse from what I am used to thou, sorry to hear about your mishaps kavoN). God knows I have stumbled along drunk like a skunk in my days through the city on my way home with no insidents. Drunks luck perhaps :)

//Kee

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
OICW, perhaps it is different as a self-defense sport. But I saw it as a sport, 2 people trying to score points on each other. This dude hit the other dude on the knee with his stick, and his knee cap split in 2.
That's what I mean with sick. I bet it is effective, but it does alot of damage. Something I am not sure I am prepared to do. Whilst with aikido all you do is defend and use the force of the other guy to throw him off balance. Which you could answer with a fist but a quick throw should buy enough time.