Unreal Engine 4 Video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Saw the videos yesterday.
I really like the whole edit in realtime thing. Hopefully this is the kind of technology that will save much time and cost for big AAA titles.
The new UI looks very different, you know, compares to the old versions.
I am also very excited about the particles being lightened by the dynamic lightings. I can't help to think what an amazing shock rifle combo SFX we will see if there would be UT4 with this engine.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Willard explaining the points of UE4 is way more useful information than any screenshot posted earlier.

UEd seems immensely more powerful this time around.
Besides the obvious graphical component, ditching uscript entirely for c++ seems, at least on video, to work well.

Last edited:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
Willard explaining the points of UE4 is way more useful information than any screenshot posted earlier.

UEd seems immensely more powerful this time around.
Besides the obvious graphical component, ditching uscript entirely for c++ seems, at least on video, to work well.

agreed, but actually the whole internet is full of tards saying the graphics are not impressive and that they prefer the prerendered video of the demonstration of the new final fantasy.... incredible... the story of the first killzone2 video repeats....

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
pretty amazing leaps in technology over the years; companies like Epic and wizards who work for them who can create such mind-blowing high quality software in relatively short time really astound me.

Ghash_hardass

May 24, 2012
Norway
Look amazing!! I am no computer wizzard, put probobly good for computer guys the new engine! But it for me, all boils down to; Give us long time unreal fans a new epic ut/unreal game, and get off your high horse CliffyB. We need more bio more redeemers more shock combos, and more ultrakills!!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
pretty amazing leaps in technology over the years; companies like Epic and wizards who work for them who can create such mind-blowing high quality software in relatively short time really astound me.

Wizards? It's called budget, IMO.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
It sure looked impressive, but I look forward to practical applications of this stuff. All of this presentation stuff looks fantastic of course, but those are all spaces especially built for showcasing things. Actual game environments are far more (or need to be far more) complex than any of the shown environment.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
agreed, but actually the whole internet is full of tards saying the graphics are not impressive and that they prefer the prerendered video of the demonstration of the new final fantasy.... incredible... the story of the first killzone2 video repeats....

I usually know those people as 'mlg players'. :lol:
Not even remotely knowledgable about what the hell they're talking about.

Ask any of them what deferred lighting, ambient occlusion, global illumination means and you get the biggest "derrrrr" face. ;)

Last edited:

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador

the final fantasy tech demo is not pre-rendered though. check out the video in game trailers with the walkthrough for it! it is quite amazing!:eek:

As for Unreal 4, I really like that they are taking a balanced approach, focusing more on making the dev process more efficient instead of just going for brute force power.

EDIT: And yeah, light baking can go die a horrible death now!

Last edited:

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
It LOOKS promising. But I remember demo videos of the Unreal2 engine, and the Unreal3 engine as well. The demo videos for both of these engines showed finery, features and stuff that I NEVER saw implemented in a playable game setting.

U3 never even got so far as to implement FSAA, and it still doesn't even to this day (for which I have never forgiven them). So the demo videos for U3 made it look as chock full of features as this U4 video looks, but we were never delivered anything that played in 'real time' with as much appeal and features as was boasted within those demos.

The fact is, these demo videos are custom made for these conventions and special guests. They're rendered on super-computers that NO ONE has and could never hope to have. These demos are rigged in advance to run flawlessly. Therefore they are presented with real-time framerate, features and functionality that most users will never be able to take advantage of and never enjoy. So it's all just a tease.

I'd love to be wrong, and I hate sounding so cynical. But I've been jilted by these demo videos one too many times to take them at face value anymore. If Epic (or some other developer) can make a game with this engine that actually LOOKS like this, and runs just as smoothly on a regular computer with a regular video card, THEN they'll have my attention. For the moment, it's just window dressing made to decieve the gullible.

Sure, it ran great on the super-computers that Epic rigged specially in advance. But I'm willing to bet that no end-users will ever see any games that look and perform like this on their systems at home.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It LOOKS promising. But I remember demo videos of the Unreal2 engine, and the Unreal3 engine as well. The demo videos for both of these engines showed finery, features and stuff that I NEVER saw implemented in a playable game setting.

U3 never even got so far as to implement FSAA, and it still doesn't even to this day (for which I have never forgiven them). So the demo videos for U3 made it look as chock full of features as this U4 video looks, but we were never delivered anything that played in 'real time' with as much appeal and features as was boasted within those demos.

The fact is, these demo videos are custom made for these conventions and special guests. They're rendered on super-computers that NO ONE has and could never hope to have. These demos are rigged in advance to run flawlessly. Therefore they are presented with real-time framerate, features and functionality that most users will never be able to take advantage of and never enjoy. So it's all just a tease.

I'd love to be wrong, and I hate sounding so cynical. But I've been jilted by these demo videos one too many times to take them at face value anymore. If Epic (or some other developer) can make a game with this engine that actually LOOKS like this, and runs just as smoothly on a regular computer with a regular video card, THEN they'll have my attention. For the moment, it's just window dressing made to decieve the gullible.

Sure, it ran great on the super-computers that Epic rigged specially in advance. But I'm willing to bet that no end-users will ever see any games that look and perform like this on their systems at home.

Uh huh. Except that the demo ran on a single Kepler card (GTX 680?). Those are expensive, but quite available to consumers. After a few months, they'll be pretty much of medium price.

Also, argh! It's Unreal Engine 1, Unreal Engine 2, Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Engine 4. Not Unreal, Unreal II, Unreal III, Unreal IV, two if which are SP games and the rest hopefully will be SP games in the future.