Anyone played this Full Spectrum Warrior?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
Was browsing PC Gamer the other day, when this game "Full Spectrum Warrior" caught my eye. Has anyone played this title yet? If so, can you give me a lowdown of what it's all about? It claims to be a realistic military sim... if it is, it might be worth checking out.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I hope this isn't a joke...

There's been a couple of threads here about it. The game was originally a RTS for the xbox, and then ported to the pc. I've never played the PC version but the xbox version was pretty cool. Basically it's a RTS at the squad level. Most of the time your managing 2, four man teams, though sometimes you'll get a specilist or two to use. Alot of the gameplay focus on moving tactically in urban enviroments. (team A lays down fire to engage, while team b moves to out flank.)

The audio and visual aspects of the game are good, not impressive but are very atmospheric, and definetly add to the game. For example the people in your squads will chat with each other...alot randomly, and as a result you start to get to know them (sorta of the "band of brothers" effect)

The only negative i can raise is that from time to time you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll say "WTF why can't my people aim for crap, i could've shot that guy myself.. blindfolded". But that's because the game is determing hits based on "rolls" that are based on various critera, not on real bullet trajactory ect.

Overall in retrospect i'd give the game 80 of 100.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I tried playing it. It does fun things to my computer.

Don't try playing it without some heavy hardware.

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
If you got an Xbox I'd recommend it as a rental. Its pretty fun but doesn't have much replay value. Once you memorize where the enemies will be coming from its no fun.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I am currently busy with it on xbox, I never even tried the easy difficulty setting but trust me the hard one really is hard. I think I am in the last mission now, it is ambush after ambush.... One mistake, one step too slow or one bullet wasted can kill me here. Pretty awesome, but annoying at the same time. I'd give it an 8 out of 10, mainly an 8 because the game was just a bit too linear (while at the same time you can pick your own strategy, the enemies won't).

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
There's a demo (probably on fileplanet) which covers a lot of the training-missions and a real scenario IIRC so you can at least try before you buy.