Devastation: Modeling

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Because Devastation is pretty much a TC mod, it needs weapons, characters, decorations...the whole bit. As such, there's pretty much an open field if anyone wants to jump in.

Right now, we've got ideas flying around about the following models (generic as the descriptions may be):
Buttons, Lifts, Switches
Weapons
Creatures
Deco Meshes

Feel free to suggest ideas here about new stuff. And don't just put "a cool weapon thingy that fires and the cool stuff omg!". I'm serious. I'm looking for detailed descriptions, with a concept design, if you have one.

Oh, and a few more things: some general guidelines for modelling and skinning...
Keep the mesh poly count to around 600 for weapons, and 300 for items.
For the skin, use a 512x512 bitmap for maximum detail. Unless you have Photoshop, keep the bitmap intact in 24- or 32-bit color, then send it to me for conversion.

Last edited:

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
here is a weapon I drew for the Unreal Core movie. :D
Not finished yet but it will be sometime.

It was ment that this one would be the main weapon you use.
It got two modes. The first one shoots normal bullets like most SMG's.
The second fire mode is like the one existing in then Unreal 2 weapon.
Shoots slugs, (or whatever), like a shotgun. But maybe this is like stealing their idea?

I can draw alot more weapons if you want too. :p

http://mcterry.unrealcore.net/files/supercool.jpg

Last edited:

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Good start. I'm not sure how a secondary slug would work, though. Do you mean that secondary fire is a spread shot like a standard shotgun, or a single, solid, more powerful bullet?

I'm not too good at drawing, myself, but I can describe one I've got pretty good:

(Name unknown)
Hand-held blade device, mainly used by Skaarj. Since Skaarj now have blades built into their arms, these melee weapons are scarce.

Two sickle-shaped blades attached to a single handle, forming the letter S. A self-charging Tarydium-based core supplements the blades with an electrical discharge upon impact.

Last edited:

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
Yes like a shotgun. Becouse I think it will be hard for us to make our own shotgun. :p

I'm not sure I know what you mean with the blades. Would you make a basic drawing of it?

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
I'll try, but believe me, it'll be bad...

Okay, maybe I'm better than I think. Something like this, but the blades should be curved more. And the bar across is hollow (to put your hand through), with a ridge on the underside for grip. And maybe the blades need to be longer or shorter. Just a little something I did in Photoshop in 2 minutes. (I changed the design from the original S-shape I had in mind)

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Madd_Cracker

scrawny pale dude
Sep 11, 2005
unitedstates
profile.myspace.com
some weopon/equipment ideas...
1. Napalm gun-not to original but the primary fire would launch rounds similar to the flak grenades except with lasting fire results, and secondary would be like a flame thrower, it would prolly work similar to the link gun secondary fire codewise, (or so it would seem in my mind i'm not that bright on coding.)
2. different goggles like in metroid, how bad ass would it be to storm a room only to get the crap kicked out of you by invisible skaarj(or other nasties?) then the next time around you return with thermal goggles and its payback time!
3. I really like the ninja rope mutater that gives you the grappling hook thing, i think that would be cool If you could limit its use to specific targets.
4. if one could make a shock beam that richochets that would be pretty cool probally not that helpful though...oh well
hope you like the input i'll keep brainstorming.

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
In that case those weapons should be skaarj weapons that you can pick up.
Becouse in my opinion as a human player you only need an assult rifle or whatever plus your sidearm as an enforcer.

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
This is all good stuff. Flamethrower, but not really a thrower...more like an incendiary launcher. Hmm..

Grappling hook...hmm...from what I recall, UT would have had it, but they went more "creative" with the translocator. I'll think on that a little...

Because this is Unreal, I don't think too many limitations really apply. Nothing too off-the-wall, sure.

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
Flak cannon + flamethrower = Sticky Napalm Gun? lol
Having splashdamage and flames burning on the ground or walls (and creatures ofcourse) for a short time.

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
What kind of vegetation? Decoration? Interactive / usable? Dense? Sparse?

I've also got a cluster grenade concept floating around my head. I'll try to solidify it in the next couple days.

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
Do we have ideas of how the planet will look like?
Like weather, vegetation etc.

I like jungle styled games. But ofcourse, that will be hard using Unreal Engine 2.
Montains and islands is also something I like.

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
I think the landing zone should be tropical / jungle. Maybe the Skaarj base exit could be set into some mountains and such. Other than that, I think it's pretty much up to the mapper (save for the locations outlined on Earth).

McTerry

Nov 4, 2005
*.se
I think rain would be a good addon for DS.
Lets say it rains the first day when they land on the landing zone.
And next day it can be clowdy or sunny.
I hope we can manage to make the game last some days. (In-game days) duh! :lol: