Misc. whines about 2.8

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
Hi, here are a couple of minor things I noticed while playing the excellent v2.8. Most of them are completely unimportant, and it really doesn't matter if you fix them or not, but I figure I'll point them out anyway in case you want to. Thanks for making Inf, by the way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1. Muzzle flashes always appear in the middle of the screen, regardless of whether the gun is shouldered or not.

2. Sometimes when I go prone, the bot that's covering me stands on top of me and won't get off, preventing me from getting up! Usually I just drop a grenade and kill both of us, but it would be nice if the bots would just not stand on me in the first place. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3. An awful lot of the grenades from the H&K69 are duds. I'm thinking that it might happen when the grenade collides with a player first before hitting a wall, although it could be something else (maybe it's intentional; I don't know).

4. The bots in Inf, like those in UT, jump off of objects a lot. Problem is, Inf has realistic falling damage, so the bots often end up hurting themselves just by running around the level.

5. If I'm looking through a scope when the round ends, the camera remains zoomed in after it's moved to focus on one of the players.

6. My view moves down slightly after I switch to the hand grenade.

7. The artillery guns are basically useless, since they're so hard to aim. If the player's view was moved so it was looking down the sights, this probably wouldn't be a problem.

8. When the character goes prone or moves into an area that's too low for him to stand in, he automatically shoulders his gun.

9. The movement speed seems awfully fast, both in terms of real-life and of the speed of the running animation.

10. When a player shoots while his third-person model is in the middle of the idle animation (use "behindview 1"), it looks like he's accidentally firing his gun into the ground.

11. The crawling animation doesn't loop. It just plays once, and then the player slides along the ground in the prone position.

12. I just wanted to comment on how much the placeholder swimming pose looks like a guy who has to urinate but can't find a bathroom. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
1: Probably just a bug that slipped through. I noticed that - when the gun is shouldered - the muzzle flash moves around with the barrel, so it's not just a limitation of the engine.

2: How rude! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It hasn't happened to me yet, but I can see how it could happen. The bounding box surrounding the player was dropped down to allow you to crawl through shafts when in a prone position. A side effect of this is that it probably allows the bots to step right on you. Again, something that could probably be easily fixed.

3: The grenades don't arm themselves until they've travelled for a cetain ammount of time (probably 1-2 seconds).

4: Chalk this one up to stupid AI. On a similar note, there's nothing more annoying than having half your team get stuck on a staircase as they fight over who gets to go first. Again, it can probably be easily fixed.

5: Bug.

6: Hmmm. Hadn't noticed. To tell the truth, I really haven't used the ol' M67 all that much yet.

7: On the other hand, if they were easier to aim, every map with an M2 in it would degenerate into a mad scramble to see who can reach the "killin' stick" first.

8: It's an intentional feature. You can't quite keep a weapon at your waist as your crawling through the mud (although the sniper rifle auto-zoom does get annoying).

9: Try turning the player speed down to around 75% in the Player Configuration. Not only does it seem much more realistic, but the third-person walking animation actually matches up with the movement speed as well.

10: Hadn't noticed. Probably a bug.

11: Another bug. The loop animation code probably got left out by mistake.

12: I gots to check this out... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
2. It might also be a good idea to get rid of the "can't fall off an edge while ducking" feature. I got stuck once or twice trying to climb through a window (I couldn't stand up, because the window wasn't tall enough, and I couldn't jump down, because I was ducking).

3. Neat, that makes sense (and I can see why it would be useful in real life). /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

7. True, but a well-placed M67 or Robar round would take care of anyone hogging the gun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

9. Thanks, I'll give that a try. Perhaps that movement speed should be the default, then?

12. There's a handy pool of water that you can use in CubanDawn... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And a few more little things I just noticed:

13. If you die while crouching or in the prone position, it would be nice if your state gets set back to standing before you respawn.

14. Those knife noises that players make when they respawn are driving me nuts! Those, and the UT death screams that still get played sometimes when players die. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

mikee

Oct 19, 2000
Misc whines......

The bots standing on you when prone has got me killed plenty. Another thing I miss is the radio stuff - surely you'd have radio contact with your team? When I issue orders, the bots appear to go off and do stuff, but I can't hear any of the chat (i.e. "I'm under attack", "got the flag" etc). Anyone else miss the voices?

Reloading the Robar - every shell requires unzipping and zipping up of ammo pouches..Is this a little over the top? (minor point)
Everything else I can live with, I think /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Doccers

Sounds....

Reguarding the "Death Cries" from UT in INF...
Why not replace them with more realistic death cries? I mean, stories from folks I know in vietnam and Korea, the most common thing heard was "MAMA!" or some derivative... that'd make it a bit more realistic, blood curdling in a way..

I wanna be an elven ranger, I want a life that's full of danger,

INF_Neo

Infiltration Sound Engineer
Nov 30, 1999
Heidelberg, Germany
Visit site
Yeah, it was planned. But the voice actor I've found had some ehm..... issues...other things to do.
I dunno.

Btw: If anybody of you feels like being in this MOD, send me a voice sample /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

inf.gif

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Hey, Daniel Erat, about your problem with the window, I experienced the same problem in Big-Clapper. To get out simply face the direction you want to go and dive forward (double tap your forward key)

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
I think I've seen bots sprinting around, although they were really slow (maybe they're carrying too much stuff in their loadout?).

Galaddin, I tried doing that, but it wouldn't let me go/dive into prone. I think the place where I got stuck was one of the windows of the conference room in the training level.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
More minor AI issues...

All the bots react to you as someone firing a direct-fire weapon. Toss a grenade around a corner and they just stand there looking at it. Sort of reduces the purpose of popping the fuse before you toss...

I also think they should look over their shoulders occasionally; at least when idle, preferably while walking, too. 'Expert' bots should IMO (seemingly) react to your footsteps, i.e. turn around when you get very close (proximity-fused bots, so to speak).

Right now if you catch one with his back to you you can walk up and knife him *every* time, even when he's a long walk away...

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
I could've sworn that I've seen some bots (heh, at least the ones on my own team) take off running when I lob a grenade around a corner.

Another thing that would be nice for Inf: Buck the trend and get rid of the grunting noise that the players make when they jump. Almost every game has it, but seriously, how many people actually say "Ugh!" every time they jump?

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
A few more things I noticed:

The MP5 dot-thing becomes misaligned with your view when you lean to the side and aim down.

You sink into the ground if you get killed while you're already prone.

I'm thinking the movement speed might be okay now; the playback speed of the animation just needs to be tweaked. I tried playing with the game speed turned down, but since the maps are so big, it took forever to cover them.

Styx_Surfer

Pictor Habilis
Apr 17, 2000
Sweden
www.styxgraphics.com
I've actually seen a bot (Loque, btw) lower his gun, pull out his Kabar, rush towards me while I was reloading and succesfully killing me. Easily one of the most frightening moments in my videogaming career....

Handsome Boy Modeling School Graduate
styxanim2.gif

My homepage