UE2 - UT2kX Fix for the old missing cubemaps error

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Issue: Missing cubemaps, from the file "AW-Cubes.utx"

Lines like this commonly found in your log files.
Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.PS_Cube
Warning: Missing TexEnvMap TexEnvMap AW-Cubes.Cubes.SunC

and
Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.MesaEnv2
Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.MesaEnv1

I have only just discoverered this error, as I only just started editing with UEd3, since the drive with my main copy of UT99 (where I have all the current stuff I'm editing).

I am quite surprised that no-one has ever found a fix (other than to just say "ignore it").
Not good Enough for me :D

Well after a few minutes of hunting and file-swapping, I found them!
They are in....
"X_AW-Cubes.utx"

A quick test, of duplicating the offending cubemaps, across to the place where they are being referenced solves the issue of the errors (on loading a map), but the internal palette entries do not match, so I could not make them work without creating a new error :rolleyes:
To correctly fix this, requires exporting and re-importing all the missing bits, and making a new texture package.
Again though, I think there may be an issue with the palette, as I cannot work out how to export/import just a palette.

Alternatively I think it would be best solved if possible, with a patch or script to hook the calls and re-direct them to the alternative texture pack.

Currently I may be able to muddle through the first option, but it would be better done by someone with real understanding of the implications of the fix, and more experience with UEd3.

NOTE:
Alternative, alternative fix!
The missing cubemaps seem to be mostly a problem with Vehicles.
Try setting the mesh in your suspect VehicleFactory to "None" (The vehicles spawned by it will still work, but it makes it a pain in the editor).
It looks like at some point in production Epic decided to move the vehicle textures to the other file, so the issue has been propagated by people "copying and pasting" vehicle resources from the UT originals, or using original textures.
I am guessing in all these years, certain vehicles have never had the right reflections or metallic effects.

Q: If this was fixed, would all these vehicles now look odd or fixed? :rolleyes:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Looks like I overcomplicated things!
I shouldn't have bothered with trying to re-map the palettes as, it seems to work fine just "duplicating" the entries across to AW_Cubes.utx

I have not had any bitching or errors yet :D

poompoom500

DnM (aka Y_Knot?)
Jan 23, 2008
NJ, USA
www.angelfire.com
AW-Cubes Missing File...

:) To dr.flay,

I just want to let you know that your post on this AW-Cubes missing file is VERY HELPFUL. I googled X-AW-Cubes.utx file and I came up with a redirect for the UT files - http://ut2003.ut-files.com/.

I then downloaded the AW-Cubes.utx.uz2 file and decompress it. Copied/pasted the decompressed AW-Cubes.utx (textures) file to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004\Textures folder.

UPDATE: The AW-Cubes .utx file from the above mentioned does not have the missing items, namely CubeMap AW-Cubes.Cubes.PS_Cube and TexEnvMap AW-Cubes.Cubes.SunC. I fixed the error by DUPLICATING the CubeMap and the TexEnvMap and RENAMING them to the PS_Cube and SunC missing items.

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I'm happy to help.

I should have been more specific though in the first solution of the post, as I could have saved you some mucking about. (sorry)
As you found, the texture pack from the earlier 2K3 also is missing the same cubemaps, but that is because essentially it is just an earlier version (my fix will also work for that version).
I also looked for the missing items in the early demo versions.

You started well by searching for "X-AW-Cubes.utx", but you threw yerself a curve-ball by a) looking online, and b) downloading "AW-Cubes.utx"

If you look further down your textures folder, you should find the file "X-AW-Cubes.utx"
Open both in UEd, then right click and "Duplicate" the Cubemap items in the "X-AW-Cubes.utx" pack.
When you duplicate from here, it should open a box with spaces to type in.
Here you enter the destination (you have no doubt seen it).
Just tell it the location/group in the other pack (AW-Cubes.utx), and you should have the right bits in the right place, with no need to rename. Just check and hit save.
I took a gamble UEd would internally pipe items from one pack to another without "copy and paste", and yes it does :D

Last edited: