How to ask questions the smart way.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
Gothic Knight said:
Wow did u guys acutallu read all that? Cuz it sounds to me like someone thinks theyre apart of some "super race" of intelligent hackers. Thats kinda alot of work just to ask a simple question. :lol:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but I'm assuming that you are not...

yes I just read all of that and thank you for making it aware to me.

I am not a coder just a lowly little mapper :p but I do know some code and other stuff, I found that very useful and it does not apply only to coding. I know in the mapping forum here you can tell the difference between the people who know what there doing and are really having problems and the ones who just want something done and are to lazy to do it themselves.

and you can also do most of those things listed above like explain hte problem out and stuff and give the exact errors you get when something happens and have people respond explaining that the cuase of all the problems where becuase you spelled something wrong or mistyped a peice of code. :rolleyes:

well I just thought I should say something becuase I found that very useful and a good read :)
thanks Solid Snake

porkmanii

Sep 9, 2004
Australia, Qld
I've always tried to ask questions the smart way, but now I know others share my opinion of what the smart way is (and that questions should be asked that way). It sounds to me like I'd fit Solid Snake's description of a hacker.

btw, here's the definition of the word "hacker", quoting dictionary.com

hack·er
n. Informal

1. One who is proficient at using or programming a computer; a computer buff.
2. One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file.
3. One who enthusiastically pursues a game or sport: a weekend tennis hacker.

That's certainly enlightening. I guess that makes me a hacker (definition #1).

Edit- haha, another one I fit is "n 1: someone who plays golf poorly".

and probably:

1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of
programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as
opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum
necessary.

2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who
enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about
programming.

but certainly not:

9. (University of Maryland, rare) A programmer who does not
understand proper programming techniques and principles and
doesn't have a Computer Science degree. Someone who just
bangs on the keyboard until something happens. For example,
"This program is nothing but spaghetti code. It must have
been written by a hacker".

Last edited:

bigdogdman

Oct 25, 2005
Unreal Wiki

mrbond113 said:
One more thing to add:

Especially in a UT forum (as is my experience), many of the veterans get very annoyed at whining, redundant, or just plain stupid questions (myself included). So please...

USE UNREAL WIKI.

Personal Experience: My school recently started a Game Design Club that uses UT2k4, and there is a particular member that literally learned 99.9% of Everything he now knows about UnrealEd from the unreal wiki. He cranked out a level in a DAY that was reminiscent of the Death Star Power Core(the one that MF blows up) and used many actors that the club hadn't even talked about yet! RFUW! Read ****'n Unreal Wiki!