[2k3]Bots phear?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
[2k3]Bots fear?

How do I make bots fear other bots/players and run away/retreat?
I'm trying hard but it's still doesnt work.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Have you tried using the FearThisSpot function? Just set it to Pawn.Location of the person they are supposed to avoid and it should work.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Isn't function FearThisSpot(AvoidMarker aSpot) only called when an AvoidMarker is found on the map? I need to make bots fear pawns not AvoidMarkers.

Mychaeel

For Jailbreak's "evasive" team tactics I implemented something in SquadAI which searches the path network outward from the bot's current MoveTarget and tries to find the closest NavigationPoint that's out of the enemy's view; then makes the bot move there.

That works well in test runs, but it has still yet to be proven in an actual in-game situation with lots of players. I experimented with FearSpots and the like before to little avail.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Sounds too complicated.
There should be an easier way to do this. It was easy in UT.
And here it sucks with SquadAI and crap. :(

Mychaeel

Why do you think using SquadAI "sucks"?

AttitudeToPlayer in class Pawn doesn't exist anymore, but basically all it did was putting the Pawn in the "Retreating" state. What's really missing is a native FindPathAwayFrom function as it is hinted in a comment in class Bot, but until that exists I just devised my own.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I think Squad- & team-'AI' were one of the best things to happen to the bot-code. In theory it could have been used to create 'personalities' and alternate tactics for teams in the same game (...)

This 'run-away-to' type of function sounds like something that could be useful. It'd definitely be nice if a bot that's low on health at least tried to avoid enemies instead of just 'praying' it doesn't run into any on its way to the health-pickups.

Is there any way to turn this into a mutator like Mysterial did with his 'superbots' ?

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
I have a gametype where bots have no weapons except shield and TL if they arent "the seeker" (Hide and Seek mod).
So they must try to avoid the seeker at any cost since the seeker player/bot has more speed and weapons.

Also the same code will be needed for more mods where ppl want to have peacefull/fearfull pawns like birds rabbits etc...

jb

May 22, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Try it. As well as tell the bots to go to B.GotoState('Retreating'). I think the bots will stop and back away a bit. Not the best, but not THAT bad. They wont run away. For that you will need to write your own FindPathAwayFrom() like mych did.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Arrrgggghhhh that sounds strangely similar to my mod...and I have to start all over on it again... /me kills IBM people and steals their money to buy quality WD hard drives.