A Mix Of Small Bugs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
A Small Mix Of Suggestions/Bugs

(Note: I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post in, as it is a mixture of things :p)

I just did an INF all nighter LAN party with my friends, and I just have a few things to report (Besides having a blast!):

Prone Bugs (Non-Hit-Detection):
There seems to be some bugs with prone in a few areas. Although this might be level releated, I am not sure.
First Incident: This one's pretty funny, and if I can find the screenshot, I'll post it :) Anyways...in the INF Shooting Range level, we were all messing around in a LAN, basically playing "Hide-and-Seek(kill)". I was in the range with all the doors/windows that open up with the targets inside. On a couple of buildings, near the 3rd floor are almost upside down chute structures. I jumped on one of these from the roof, then went prone and tried to go inside...but, instead of just stopping my movement because the vent was too small...it flipped me upside down, lol. My view of the level was as if the ground was the sky, and vice versa. Now, this could be a simple level bug, or maybe there is something with tight spaces and prone.

Second Incident: Now, this one MIGHT be related to clipping, although this is not about hit-detection when it comes to being fired at (as that was already covered). The level you can really notice it in is the level Flagstaff. In one part, there is an air duct one can crawl through. I went in prone, and was walking through. I accidentally hit my duck key, which stood me up full-ways. That's the problem though: I was standing up full height in the air duct :) I could see all around the level (just like if you ghosted out). Although fun, as I was freaking my friend out by telling him exactly where he was, it's kinda buggy :)
I noticed this, though, in a few areas with small openings, so I'm doubting this is a level bug. But, it may very well be.

Another strange bug I've had happen a couple times is spawning back in, but not with full stamina.

This next part I know was covered by Warren, but I just have a suggestion. Many people should agree with me, the grenades are tough to throw. It is because of the aiming system. When you move your mouse a hair to the left or right, it actually doesn't rotate your view, just your "hands". Because of this, when you need to aim a hair to the left or right, it makes it extremely difficult. Now, I don't know if this is possible with whatever way you've set up your code, but maybe make it so that the nades are unaffected by the "aiming" system that all the other guns have? Or take out that aiming system? I myself have never found the use in just moving my hands a little bit in aiming. Or is it there for realism?

Here is another prone suggestion:
Whilst moving in Prone, one cannot fire. To fire, you have to stop, and click to fire. Now, I've seen the annoyance in this. When you get surprised sometimes, you automatically click to fire, and at least for me, start trying to move around. But, this doesn't work. You simply move around, but don't fire. Now, this is more of a matter of preference, so maybe make it an option, but is there anyway to make it so instead of not Firing when you are moving, you stop MOVING and start firing?

The last question, I think would be really beneficial...
Now, as everyone has said before, you have to balance realism over gameplay. Now, not knowing who killed you if you don't see them is, sure, realistic. But...it does kinda get annoying ;). I think most of us would like to know who killed us, so we can tell them "Nice Shot", or "g1", or whatnot. Also, I could see where people could get annoyed, having death messages spammed all over like Death Match. So, maybe make the message private (sent only to the player)? I'm pretty sure this can be done, as I saw a tutorial on Chimeric once on sending message to certain players only.

Thanks for making such a great MOD, it is loads of fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I think most of us would like to know who killed us
This was discussed ad nauseum in this thread. The thread points out that many people don't want to see death messages at all. That thread also spawned a 'real vs gameplay' debate extremely similar to the one going on in the general forum.

Many people should agree with me, the grenades are tough to throw.
Discussed in some threads on the old board. Many options where discussed there. Some were for a locked view, some were for a reduced free aim section to maintain the randomness of the throw (my favorite), and some were for for a reticule identifying where it would be thrown. They also discussed the hold-for-strength, and the weapon-toggle-for-distance approaches.

Whilst moving in Prone, one cannot fire.
This has been discussed in many threads on the old board. I think the conclusion was to add a first person animation to let the player know why he can't fire, or put in the autostop setup you describe.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Anyways...in the INF Shooting Range level, we were all messing around in a LAN, basically playing "Hide-and-Seek(kill)". I was in the range with all the doors/windows that open up with the targets inside. On a couple of buildings, near the 3rd floor are almost upside down chute structures. I jumped on one of these from the roof, then went prone and tried to go inside...but, instead of just stopping my movement because the vent was too small...it flipped me upside down, lol. My view of the level was as if the ground was the sky, and vice versa. Now, this could be a simple level bug, or maybe there is something with tight spaces and prone.

I already reported this at http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=42765
And I have a pic of it

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
<Shrug> Make death messages an option? I know most games I play, I see "Who killed me?" "Was that you that killed me Player1?" "Nice job, whoever just killed me."

Also, new suggestion:

Currently, so far as I know, when you buy a Scope, whenever you bring it up it automatically uses the scope. Sometimes, I like to use it in "Center" hold position. Other times, I do want to use the scope. But, to do this, one would have to make 2 seperate load outs. But, this would only work each round, as you can't switch loadouts in the middle of the round. Maybe make the scope a seperate key? Or click once to bring up scope (if you have it) and again to center, and one more time to bring back down to the default?