Field of View

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
INF's fov is locked on 90°, which is good for 4:3 monitors, but I use a 16:9 monitor and need a fov of 105°. With the transolcator you can change the fov in console, but as soon as you switch to the INF weapons the fov goes back to 90.

Is there a way to do it?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Hit the "TAB" key to open the console. type "preferences" and wait for the advanced options window.
From here you can investigate the various branches of the ini files currently loaded.
The changes back and forth between windowed and fullscreen, reset UT allowing you to experiment with settings without having to restart.
Individual game-modes also all have settings for "FOV" as well as the main engine.
I made a thread on advanced ini tweaking, and how to add your own extra branches, if you want to experiment further (so far this works on all Unreal games).
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3625

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Sorry, that doesn't help me dr.flay.

Ok, I played INF with some guy today. And as usual I had this tiring experience of looking around and aiming. So I thought if I cannot change the FOV, what about to change to a 4:3 resolution? And wow, the difference is INCREDIBLY SIGNIFICANT!

The effect of a wider FOV is actually less freeaim, the way freeaim was meant to be in INF (90° was meant for 4:3 monitors of old days). I struggled with too much freeaim lately so that I began to believe I don't like freeaim anymore, but the better FOV made less freeaim, turning around is much better and faster now, while I kept my low sensitivity 450dpi setting.
I really remember now how it was to play INF in the good old days on my CRT monitor. I remember now how INF was once fun to play.

The down side of a better FOV is obviously that everything is smaller on the screen, so you have to sit closer to the monitor, but aiming is much better now for me nontheless. So the win is more than the loss for me.
Another downside of a wide FOV on a widescreen is screen tear. This was less noticeable on 4:3 monitors, but is more on widescreen. Still I hope I can use a wider FOV with widescreen in INF somehow, but I am slightly playing with the thought to switch to 4:3 gaming altogether.

Also, I have massive negative acceleration in INF (but not UT). As long as I don't move the mouse too fast, I can keep it at the minimum. With a better FOV it seems to be more controllable (still sucks though).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
So can you give me at least a tip? Only option in the preferences/advanced options tab I see is Editor/Advanced/FovAngleDegrees, which I edited, but it shows no effect. I added the Game Types options in the Botpack.ini, but there is no FOV options for each game type.

Unreal also didn't let me change FOV, but with the patch 227 you can do this in the in-game menu. In UT you can do this any way you want (ini, console). In Infiltration I have no clue.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Right I was working from memory, but I'm at a working copy now :D

First as you have found out, UT runs sooo much faster with 4:3 ratio, and even faster if you use a CRT as you can run the monitor at a faster than 65Hz refresh (I run mine for UT at 140Hz).
This is the best way to make a wide-screen laptop play UT well.

I don't have Infiltration installed on this PC, so I'm using the main UT ini as reference.

Look in the UnrealTournament.ini and the infiltration one in it's own system folder. I will highlight the sections you should look for.

First look for the section "Engine.GameInfo"
Code:
[Engine.GameInfo]
bLowGore=False
bVeryLowGore=False
bMuteSpectators=False
bNoCheating=True
[COLOR="Red"]bAllowFOV=False[/COLOR]
bExternalBatcher=False
AutoAim=0.930000
GameSpeed=1.000000
MaxSpectators=2
AdminPassword=
GamePassword=
MaxPlayers=16
IPPolicies[0]=ACCEPT,*

Here is a the default deathmatch section. Not all game types have all the variables.
Code:
[Botpack.DeathMatchPlus]
bNoviceMode=True
bHardCoreMode=True
bUseTranslocator=False
bCoopWeaponMode=False
MinPlayers=0
AirControl=0.350000
FragLimit=30
TimeLimit=0
bChangeLevels=False
bMegaSpeed=False
bAltScoring=False
bMultiWeaponStay=True
bForceRespawn=False
bTournament=False
NetWait=10
RestartWait=15
MaxCommanders=0
InitialBots=16
bNoMonsters=True
bHumansOnly=False
bClassicDeathMessages=False
[COLOR="Red"]MinFOV=80.000000
MaxFOV=130.000000[/COLOR]
MaxNameChanges=0

Personally I prefer a larger 4:3 monitor, or sit closer to a small one.
I generally run about 30 mutators, so I need every ounce of strength for smooth games.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Thanks.

bAllowFOV was on True already. I aded MinFOV=105.000000 and MaxFOV=105.000000 to every INF game type in the Infiltration.ini. As you could guess, FOV didn't change. I'm sure I did it wrong though.

God-dammit, why is this game so stubborn. Why can't I just change the FOV value and be good with it...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
What I forgot to mention. The FOV seems to be locked with the INF guns. In co-op, I can change the FOV in the console when holding the UT translocator, but when I switch to a INF weapon the FOV goes back to 90°, but is altered again when going back to the transolcator.

But when I run INF windowed I can resize the window and do crazy things like this.

There is something twisted coded into INF. Any suggestions?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Hmmm, this needs further investigation, as it may be a common issue.
It may be a case of hunting this forum or google more thoroughly.
Shame there has been no input from one of the coders (as this is the official forum).

Having always stuck to 4:3 for speed, I don't have much experience on this issue.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I doubt you will succeed finding a solution for this. I suspect the field of view is somehow hardcoded with the INF weapons, either to prevent some sort of cheating, or to avoid weapon clipping errors perhaps. So it's locked at 90°, but who could have predicted that there will be a new aspect ratio format standard, which requires FOV adjustment.

Would still be cool if there could be a solution for this.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
There's no quick setting. You can change it with a mutator like AimView.
But really, I use 16:9 and it's not so bad at 90°.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
There's no quick setting. You can change it with a mutator like AimView.
Can you tell me how, please?

But really, I use 16:9 and it's not so bad at 90°.
It's acceptable, but proper FOV is so much more enjoyable. I am playing INF with the 4:3 aspect ratio now (black bars at sides) and it is not going to change, which is a shame, because more awareness through widescreen is good.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
Are you familiar with programming mutators?
If you make the FOV larger than 90, you'll start getting the fish-eye effect and things will get skewed around the borders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
90 looked on my 4:3 CRT like 106 does on my current 16:9 IPS. I don't want more FOV, I want to restore the way things looked back then, the way INF was designed to look at the first place. It is true however, that the additional space at the sides of a widescreen does make the distortion more noticeable, where as the square-like 4:3 ratio made it less obvious, but that can not be avoided at this point.

SS did probably not think of the possibility to use various aspect ratios in the future, and to prevent FOV cheating they locked the FOV to 90, which unfortunately sort of backfired, because 90 on 16:9 are more like 75. Do you see what I mean?

Unreal Tournament allows you to change the FOV though, 106 for 16:9 comes closest to 90 for 4:3, but the weapon posturing still looks better with 90+4:3, obviously because that's how the game was originally designed.

I can not program. I am as far away from being able to, as I am from navigating a submarine.

DarkStar911

Apr 3, 2012
I think Infiltration 2.9 over-rided the default FOV, and made their own code. Or they just locked it down like you said. I tried changing it myself, and the command failed.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
I suspect the field of view is somehow hardcoded with the INF weapons, either to prevent some sort of cheating, or to avoid weapon clipping errors perhaps. So it's locked at 90°, but who could have predicted that there will be a new aspect ratio format standard, which requires FOV adjustment.

Hello \o/

The MinFOV/MaxFov/AllowFOV are for this reason, so i don't see why they locked the fov... :(