The End of Free VoIP Telephony: M$ Buys Skype!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
svsbjb.jpg

This is the end!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...purchase-of-internet-call-provider-skype.html

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
It will still be be. You'll just have to install MSN toolbars, Messenger, and Windows Live to use it.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
i read about this earlier today. I actually pay for Skype services so I can call land lines in Europe for a fixed rate i pay yearly.

My fear would be they put the cost of this service up, and then mess it up in the same way GFWL is messed up.... :(

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I know this is the internet, people, but you folks are ridiculously ignorant. Why would Skype suddenly lose it's free services? Right now, Windows messanger does free computer to computer voice and video calling at a pretty good quality. Not only that, but a LOT more people use messenger, not only in total users, but also in users using the service at the same time. You could argue that skype is better/more refined/whatever, but it's not like MS is going to purposely take better technology and make it worse.

In fact, it is Skype that has the pay service, not MS, and it seems (to me) that they want to integrate the tech and pay system of pc-landline into messenger, having, like Skype a free service and a pay service with tight integration.

So no, you won't lose free anything, and we'll probably just see tighter MS integration with the tech and services. That's it. Stop your crying.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So no, you won't lose free anything, and we'll probably just see tighter MS integration with the tech and services. That's it. Stop your crying.
So what you're saying is, if we don't use Skype through "MS integration with the tech and services" we might not be using it at all in the future.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft does, but the likelihood is that now we can expect to see better and tighter integration of Skype into Microsoft products, and worse and weaker integration of Skype into non-Microsoft products. I don't see how that is a good thing.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Wait, what's so free about Skype now? The only thing you can do without a paying subscription is messaging and video chat. I thought they started charging for their phone services ages ago. You can't even have group sessions anymore without paying.

The only way it could get any worse is if they make you pay to use skype at all or the software just goes downhill.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I know this is the internet, people, but you folks are ridiculously ignorant.

Man you are defensive and fanboi-ish. Either way, my statement brings more humor than ignorance. I honestly don't know if the actual service will be free to use or will it be charged, all I know is that from their perspective, it's only easy to assume it will.

You could easily compare it to me when I start a video game thread, people will assume I'll get mad at the game. See?