Pupae=Baby Skaarj ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
another question for me is why unreal mantas are not living in water.
and are biter fishes piranhas ?

Mantas have been always aerial creatures in Unreal from early development. They can go in water, and they swim faster than a Slith (but they don't pose a similar threat).

Biterfish aren't really piranhas. There are the ones who eat and those who are harmless. They'll damage you if touched. Overall they need to die.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Mantas fly, so they have no reason to live in water. Why should, say, pigeons live in water? Mantas were named so just because their form is similar to the earth manta ray.

And no, biterfish aren't piranhas. Piranhas live on Earth, and that is Na Pali. Also, they don't attack players exclusively if they are injured. Furthermore, players are attacked by single fish, not by the whole school (unless you are unlucky enough to fall right in a middle of a school...). Moreover, there are biterfish that show no interest in attacking other living beings at all.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Mantas fly, so they have no reason to live in water. Why should, say, pigeons live in water? Mantas were named so just because their form is similar to the earth manta ray.

And no, biterfish aren't piranhas. Piranhas live on Earth, and that is Na Pali. Also, they don't attack players exclusively if they are injured. Furthermore, players are attacked by single fish, not by the whole school (unless you are unlucky enough to fall right in a middle of a school...). Moreover, there are biterfish that show no interest in attacking other living beings at all.

That's the same as Pupae, they were named after pupae i guess because of the simmilar shape, even if technically they are not...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, possibly. Seems developers name those monsters, then the name sticks to them and so they just leave them as they were. Another example (not a monster though :p ) would be Dalton from Unreal II, he was named after Scott Dalton despite his protests. And the name sticked, so we now have John Dalton.
There are a few examples of when names actually were changed despite the first developing name. The best one would be with UT2004 vehicles. Hover Tank was changed to Goliath, Mobile Assault Station to Leviathan, Hover Bike to Manta and so on.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yeap, possibly. Seems developers name those monsters, then the name sticks to them and so they just leave them as they were. Another example (not a monster though :p ) would be Dalton from Unreal II, he was named after Scott Dalton despite his protests. And the name sticked, so we now have John Dalton.
There are a few examples of when names actually were changed despite the first developing name. The best one would be with UT2004 vehicles. Hover Tank was changed to Goliath, Mobile Assault Station to Leviathan, Hover Bike to Manta and so on.

Hover tank(or hover platforms) and hover bike was supposed to be in UT2003 and UC, as seen in some video, remember that one with that player riding the vehicle across terrain?

I beleive UC still has these only unused, when I inspected some of the files it seems the hoverplatforms and bikes are still in.

Besides onslaught was first made as mod to UT2003 to bring vehicular combat in.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Those hoverboards are in UT2004 as well, as static meshes. But actually the Goliath is really a hover tank, and the Manta is a hover bike, just rotated (you can imagine those two wings as wheels).

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

Shooting Biterfish don't make a difference. It just depends on how their "BisAggressive" is set.
Enemy Biterfish will just see you and then swim at you. No other scripted pawn can be damaged since the collision properties of the Biterfish don't allow them to pass through other beings except the player.

If they are harmless, they'll totally ignore you and you can pass through them like nothing.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
good answers :)

what about the kralls ?
the can do martial arts, they play dice...are they related to the mercs ?
and do you have also problems to hit them coz they can move like drunk ?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

They have zero relation to any other race in Unreal. They're some kind of angry slaves of the Skaarj.
I have no problem at killing them. You can just stay in one position and spam the ASMD's primary fire until they die. Their threat-o-meters are so ridicolously low that make the game boring.

Yes UBerserker, I meant that if players are injured, biterfish, unlike piranhas, aren't attracted by wounds... :rolleyes:

Welcome to Unreal, again :D

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
Krall are lackeys used by the Skaarj as foot soldiers. As said in a log in Unreal, their homeworld is not on Na Pali. As seen in UT3, it seems they aren't only employed by the Skaarj for their muscle.

a lil off topic now now..but must say.
Proph i would believe you even if you would say the nali have a jesus..lol

i mean you are one of the most known and respected ppl in the unreal/ut community and you are 0=arrogant.you just hangout with us and talk and post.nice to see your comments allways.cheers.ty.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
good answers :)

what about the kralls ?
Again, LA:
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Krall

I have no problem at killing them. You can just stay in one position and spam the ASMD's primary fire until they die. Their threat-o-meters are so ridicolously low that make the game boring.

Welcome to Unreal, again :D
Yeap, they're not a threat at all. I get injured by my own eightballs more often than kralls. And I never understood why they appear only that late in the game, they should have been introduced in the very first two fighting levels...

Uh, what?

Proph i would believe you even if you would say the nali have a jesus..lol

Nali have Vandora.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, Nali have Gods. Chizra, god of water (oh hai Hindu Vritra), and Vandora, goddess of thunder (oh hai female Indra). Then there's a jump in the Maya theme: Velora (presumed god of war), but he's more of a fallen one.
The only existing Jesus/Messiah of the Nali turned out to be P849.

In betas, Krall were supposed to make their first appearance in the Temple of Vandora, and they were much tougher and cooler than in the final version. The only tough Krall fight is Seethe in the custom map pack Skaarj Tower 2: TFOS.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
well the nalicows have neonite..he plays allways with the atomic warcow model.they say he is the protector of the holy milk ;)

Yeah, Nali have Gods. Chizra, god of water (oh hai Hindu Vritra), and Vandora, goddess of thunder (oh hai female Indra). Then there's a jump in the Maya theme: Velora (presumed god of war), but he's more of a fallen one.
The only existing Jesus/Messiah of the Nali turned out to be P849.

yeah, Nali are polytheistic alright. But the negative connotation of Velora is really a fanbased assumption. Chizra (Water God) and Vandora (Goddess of Thunder) tend to be assumed as "positive" gods. I'm not sure it is really supposed to work that way. What we do know is that the Nali refer to their gods as "the gods of good lore"...or at least that reference is to some of their gods. Velora is never given a subtitle like the other two, and much of this alleged "war" aspect is because of Velora's Pass. But if you read some more logs, it is insinuated that the Nali tend to believe that Titans, and other marooned races, are "minions" of the gods. Meaning that they believe their gods can generally grow displeased.

The best evidence for Velora's supposed godship is presented in Velora's Temple in RTNP, but even then...it's more of a generic temple map (like a lot of RTNP maps tend to feel like filler maps). If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that Velora might be a sun god. But who knows. Hey, it's even possible that Velora is not a Nali God at all, but maybe some kind of ancient king.

Prisoner 849 as Nali Jesus +1

In betas, Krall were supposed to make their first appearance in the Temple of Vandora, and they were much tougher and cooler than in the final version. The only tough Krall fight is Seethe in the custom map pack Skaarj Tower 2: TFOS.

Beta Krall get (kind of) a reapperance in Firestorm and in RD. I always kind of liked Krall. Even if they were generally flak fodder in Unreal.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Wow! good reading. No wonder you guys' maps always make sense with story lines.

What I really would like to see is a fighting game with all Unreal and UT characters. I can only imagine a pupae biting the heck out of a Titan doing SuperMoves where a bunch of them attack at once, or a Skaarj against a fly like they always fight in MH maps rofl. And yes, I was a fighting games tournament player :D

If only someone would make some classes and a 2d camera view for UT that allows people to make characters for fighting games with ease on this engine would be the most amazing thing ever. So far, the only way possible is with the MUGEN engine that uses sprites for their player characters but I doubt anyone is down for it.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Krall are quite challenging in Dasa Cellars, although that's only because of the numbers and that you don't get enough space to move and dodge projectiles. Lots of fun in co-op, though :)

War Master, there's a 2.5D camera view for UT2004, so I guess it's possible for UT1 as well. Or at least you can do that on UT2004 itself as it has all the Unreal monsters.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
SP2D for UT is in the works. Krall in Dasa Cellars don't even try to fight back if you use the Razor Jack.

The best evidence for Velora's supposed godship is presented in Velora's Temple in RTNP, but even then...it's more of a generic temple map (like a lot of RTNP maps tend to feel like filler maps). If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that Velora might be a sun god. But who knows. Hey, it's even possible that Velora is not a Nali God at all, but maybe some kind of ancient king.

If whoever at Legend didn't cut the best parts of Velora Temple/Aztec, it would have been better in RTNP. Aztec had a Stone Titan as a boss. Velora Pass had also a Stone Titan.
Since there's a Temple of Chizra, who's a god, a Temple of Vandora, who's a goddess, there's a Temple of Velora - all the maps made by Epic. Following this trend, Velora should be a god as well (not going with goddess since he looks male in those pics in the temple).

I don't really think it's a sun god. His temple is located underground, and it's really dark. Maybe he's someone likes Tezcatlipoca or this other aztec god.

Last edited:

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Wow! good reading. No wonder you guys' maps always make sense with story lines.

What I really would like to see is a fighting game with all Unreal and UT characters. I can only imagine a pupae biting the heck out of a Titan doing SuperMoves where a bunch of them attack at once, or a Skaarj against a fly like they always fight in MH maps rofl. And yes, I was a fighting games tournament player :D

If only someone would make some classes and a 2d camera view for UT that allows people to make characters for fighting games with ease on this engine would be the most amazing thing ever. So far, the only way possible is with the MUGEN engine that uses sprites for their player characters but I doubt anyone is down for it.

hmm.